Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore: which Starwood? 2008 on [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore: which Starwood? 2008 on [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
Weekend in Singapore, St.Regis or Westin?

Will be there during weekend alone, not for work (but money won't be out from my pocket), so which one is better? Or I should use that amount of money to get Suite in Sheraton Tower? (I'm not platinum, so I am not expecting suite upgrade)
W is not an option, I don't want to go Sentosa....
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:29 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Personally, I will go for StR.

Sheraton is quite dated so I wouldn't recommend.
Westin is relatively new, but you're in the middle of the business district.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by LuisHK

+1
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by LuisHK

How about transportation? From the map seems not very close to the MRT, how's the actual walking distance?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
I enjoyed the Westin last week.Nice pool with a nice view until the building next door is completed.
Would get an Exec floor room-the lounge isn't bad with decent wines and a fair selection of nibbles especially desserts.
Not far to the Downtown MRT.Just 1 station to Marina Bay Sands or Gardens by the Bay.
If you want to go to Orchard road it is 2 changes at present or a longer walk to the Raffles Centre MRT-but it is underground and air conditioned-the Marina Link mall accessed via the downtown MRT station.It has a Din Tai Fung if that is your like.
A hawker centre is a short walk away-turn left as you exit the hotel and left at the end of the Citibank building and just 2 short blocks.

Have only stayed at the St.regis once and didn't like it.physically good but a little stuck up for me.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by fakeman
Will be there during weekend alone, not for work (but money won't be out from my pocket), so which one is better? Or I should use that amount of money to get Suite in Sheraton Tower? (I'm not platinum, so I am not expecting suite upgrade)
W is not an option, I don't want to go Sentosa....
Weekend, area around Westin will be dead. I would stay at the St. Regis if I were you.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
How about transportation? From the map seems not very close to the MRT, how's the actual walking distance?
Stayed at the Sheraton this past summer. The MRT is about 2-3 minutes walk from the hotel.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've stayed at both as a Plat.

StR is good for shopping but there's not a lot else in the neighborhood except the bus to Sentosa around the corner. The style of the rooms is classical elegant, with chandeliers, etc. Rooms are large and have sitting areas and nice/interesting bathrooms that aren't huge. Room categories seem to depend just on the floor (how high). Pool area is nice. Hotels has lots of artwork.

Westin is newer and more contemporary in style, including the restaurant and bar. Rooms of the same category can have dramatically different floor plans. Pool is OK but the best part of it is the view and the "infinity edge" on such a high floor. I've walked to MBS, the Merlin, the river, and Chinatown. Subway station is closer and doesn't require going through a confusing shopping mall as at StR. Restored historic hawker center is about a block away. People fascinated by harbors and ships might like watching the container center action from their window.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:59 pm

I love sunrise/sunset views, which one will be more likely to fit my "special" need? :P
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:41 pm

I love sunrise/sunset views, which one will be more likely to fit my "special" need? :P
Westin

But ask for the appropriate facing room
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:18 pm

Thanks! I've just reserved 2 nights in Westin, hoping to have an excellent experience.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:07 pm

Thanks! I've just reserved 2 nights in Westin, hoping to have an excellent experience.
Enjoy your time in Singapore!
Great weather these days...
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Westin, I stayed twice at the StR and both times was absolutely disgusted with the poor service, arrogant attitudes, ignorant staff, etc etc etc I could go on and on, but suffice to say I would never ever stay here even if they paid me to, take a look at the master thread, some people have enjoyed it but the number of awful reviews means my experiences were not just bad luck.

Westin................
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Stayed at the Sheraton this past summer. The MRT is about 2-3 minutes walk from the hotel.
The Sheraton is also about 5 mins from Newton Food Centre and a 10 min walk from Orchard Rd.

Location is great, but, I would agree that it's "dated."
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Off topic.

Singapore is the only place on earth that I skipped Starwood. (Only stayed at W Sentosa Cove once about 2 years ago.)

MO is always my pick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.