Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore: which Starwood? 2008 on [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore: which Starwood? 2008 on [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by YYCOllie
Friendly bump... Is there any reason to stay at the Sheraton instead of the St. Regis?
Only if it is a really good deal or you fancy eating out at the Newton Foodcourt regularly during your stay in Singapore
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:17 am

bump--what's the latest ?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by ezron
bump--what's the latest ?
Westin just opened in Nov 2013. Master Thread.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Wondering which hotel is best for a guy who's travelling alone and just wants to rest his head. Don't need an upgrade, just a clean room, literally will be in the hotel just for sleeping and probably breakfast. Close to transportation a must.

Best to stick with Starwood (in which case which one) or should I just priceline/hotwire a 4*?

Looking for late September/early October for 4-5 nights.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:26 am

Well I guess it depends on your budget, cheapest SPG hotel in Singapore is the Sheraton, followed by the Westin/St. Regis/W Sentosa Cove

W would not be wise as it's on a remote part of Sentosa island with nothing nearby. You would have to take the resort shuttle or taxi to go anywhere.

Maybe you should look elsewhere or just use points or C&P if it's more worth it.

Here are the master threads:
Sheraton
Westin
St. Regis
W (Resort)
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Well I guess it depends on your budget, cheapest SPG hotel in Singapore is the Sheraton, followed by the Westin/St. Regis/W Sentosa Cove

W would not be wise as it's on a remote part of Sentosa island with nothing nearby. You would have to take the resort shuttle or taxi to go anywhere.

Maybe you should look elsewhere or just use points or C&P if it's more worth it.
Thanks. I can afford any of the properties, but since I won't be using any of the facilities (on vacation and prefer to be out and about than in the hotel), I'm likely to only be in the hotel to sleep and, maybe, eat breakfast. The Sheraton has lots of detractors but it sounds clean and with my Plat the free internet is a plus. Really all I need is clean, wifi and close to transport.

Will be taking train in from Kuala Lumpur and flying back to states from SIN.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
The Sheraton is by far the cheapest property, but it isn't "cheap". It's quite close to the Newton hawker centre, which might be of interest.

If I were "slummin" it I would probably look at other properties as well to get an idea on how much extra those lifetime nights would cost you.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
The Sheraton is by far the cheapest property, but it isn't "cheap". It's quite close to the Newton hawker centre, which might be of interest.

If I were "slummin" it I would probably look at other properties as well to get an idea on how much extra those lifetime nights would cost you.
I agree, cheapest rate I've ever seen on SPG site for Sheraton is about USD$153.

Hotel 81 can be affordable as it's a no frills room only chain. Unfortunately it's used mostly as a love hotel.

Value Hotel
Fragrance Hotel

Check OTAs as well, lots of hotels everywhere in Singapore.

Or just do a 5 night award stay in Westin, Cat 5.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Wondering which hotel is best for a guy who's travelling alone and just wants to rest his head. Don't need an upgrade, just a clean room, literally will be in the hotel just for sleeping and probably breakfast. Close to transportation a must.

Best to stick with Starwood (in which case which one) or should I just priceline/hotwire a 4*?

Looking for late September/early October for 4-5 nights.
I'd vote for the Westin. It's nice and new with a new subway station (called Downtown???) very close. There are restaurants in the building and a little convenience and wine store just around the corner to the right of the hotel's main entrance that seems to have a nice variety of ready to eat food items. You're also within a block or so of Satay Street in the evening. [AFAIK the historic hawker center there is still closed for renovations.]

I've never stayed there, but there have been multiple reports of some Sheraton rooms smelling very musty; I know of people who have had to change rooms or even change hotels as a result.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
I agree with last poster. The hotel is killer and in a very convenient location if you're planning on using the Metro.

Also, interesting bit of trivia - Google Singapore is located in same complex as hotel.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bigjim
I agree with last poster. The hotel is killer and in a very convenient location if you're planning on using the Metro.

Also, interesting bit of trivia - Google Singapore is located in same complex as hotel.
Since the person asking will be on a business trip, I might add that my standard king room in the Westin was arranged with a nice big desk (with small L credenza) in a window alcove. There was also a distinct small sitting area so that the room seemed like a small junior suite oriented toward business travel. ADDED: However, there's a lot of variation in room shapes and layouts even within the same category. Categories are largely based on views, not systematic differences in physical room attributes other than location in the building. Similarly, club level rooms can be any room in the hotel where the occupants have lounge access.

The hotel clearly views itself as a business hotel despite the nice deck and infinity pool.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 17, 2014 at 7:07 am
Old Jun 17, 2014, 4:10 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Since the person asking will be on a business trip, I might add that my standard king room in the Westin was arranged with a nice big desk (with small L credenza) in a window alcove. There was also a distinct small sitting area so that the room seemed like a small junior suite oriented toward business travel.

The hotel clearly views itself as a business hotel despite the nice deck and infinity pool.
If the premium between Sheraton and Westin is not too high, I would recommend Westin as well. It's new and the beds are great.

In terms of location, it's lacking of immediate food options but if you know the direction you can find great food/booze within 10 minutes of walk.

Originally Posted by lcpteck
I agree, cheapest rate I've ever seen on SPG site for Sheraton is about USD$153.

Hotel 81 can be affordable as it's a no frills room only chain. Unfortunately it's used mostly as a love hotel.

Value Hotel
Fragrance Hotel

Check OTAs as well, lots of hotels everywhere in Singapore.

Or just do a 5 night award stay in Westin, Cat 5.
I REALLY REALLY wouldn't want to recommend the likes of Hotel81 or Fragrance to a business-traveller!
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by LuisHK
If the premium between Sheraton and Westin is not too high, I would recommend Westin as well. It's new and the beds are great.

In terms of location, it's lacking of immediate food options but if you know the direction you can find great food/booze within 10 minutes of walk.

I REALLY REALLY wouldn't want to recommend the likes of Hotel81 or Fragrance to a business-traveller!
Hehehe, I wouldn't too but dcstudent stated he's on vacation.

I can afford any of the properties, but since I won't be using any of the facilities (on vacation and prefer to be out and about than in the hotel), I'm likely to only be in the hotel to sleep and, maybe, eat breakfast.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
hahaha!

Call me pampered but I won't even want to stay a night to sleep - don't want to be disturbed by next door... Be it lovers engaging in whatever they're doing or roudy tourists from ultra cheap tour groups...
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by LuisHK
Sounds like I'd have quite the story when I got home! Anywho, thanks all. For the moment I've made a 5 night redemption at the Westin and I'll watch agoda/wotif etc.... for deals at non-starwood hotels.

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.