Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

What Should I Do When My Neighbor is too "noisy?"

Old Oct 11, 07, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I am typing this at the hotel that I am staying right now. I have been staying here for 2 nights and it was all wonderful until last night around 2am, my wall (right against my headboard) was started "shaking" and I was waken by the noise that passed by the next door (hardcore banging , shaking the bed, u know what that is ). It lasted few minutes then the next door started to talk, like quite loud enoug which I had hard time to fall asleep until 3amish. However, next morning, around 6-7am, the same thing happened again!! I don't know if they have jetlag or not, but it was very disturbing!!!!! I was so angry that I almost called the front desk to ask them to "listen" to how bad it is from my wall too! my night was totally ruined. So I walked down, complained to the front desk about it, they suggested to move me (which is no point, i am checking out in few hours anyway) or they will call the guest next door to ask them to keep it down. I mean, if this is like the normal noise (tv , talking) yea I would definitely call them but they were u know, doing stuffs/make love so I don't know what is the best way that I can do and now, my day is ruined!! I missed my lunch with my friend and I feel pretty tired because of the lack of sleep from the night before. I am still at the property for few more hours now, please suggest what I can do if this happens again (and it will be helpful for other guest that will be checkin into my room tonight as well, they are loud!!). Should I ask for compensations at all because of this?
Old Oct 11, 07, 1:30 pm

Although I feel your pain, I don't think you're justified in asking for compensation because of the following combined reasons:

1) A loud neighbor is not an oversight by the hotel staff or Starwood Corporate.
2) You did not provide the hotel staff an opportunity to help you with the problem until the next morning.
3) When you did bring notice to the issue, the hotel staff offered a solution immediately (moving you to a new room) and you declined.

Had you called at 2 am and said "I can't stand these people next door, I can't sleep" and they hadn't provided a solution, you'd have a valid complaint for compensation. However, the staff are not psychic and can hardly be blamed for a noisy neighbor that they are not notified of.

Hotel desks are staffed 24hrs/day. If you have a problem, you must let them know immediately if you expect them to help you solve it.

Hope this helps,
John
Old Oct 11, 07, 1:42 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I totally agree with TheMane. All of the points I would make he/she said very eloquently.

If it was so distruptive then you should have taken action when it was happening. I always call the Front Desk when something like this happens (you don't know if somebody is being hurt, drunk, etc.). They usually send up security and it's amazing how things quiet down very quickly.

Also, the hotel offered to make good by moving you but you didn't want to. Why do you think you should you get any compensation since you didn't take any action when it was occuring, and when you were offered restitution (moving you) you declined?
Old Oct 11, 07, 1:47 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
I agree with TheMane as well.

For me, I always travel with ear plugs. I like these the best:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...90&catid=13837
Old Oct 11, 07, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
I agree with TheMane's points completely. And as ldsant pointed out, you can always play the "concern" card and call the front desk about the screaming, noises, etc.
Old Oct 11, 07, 2:44 pm

why not just call that room directly.. you know the room #, but they don't know your room.. pretending it's a probe.
Old Oct 11, 07, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Well, if its other type of noise then I would called immediately but since its "that type of noise" so which I didn't but the one happened the following morning was the one that really bothered me. Just to let u guys know that I did not ask for any compensation I just let the hotel know that happened so people can follow up if someone else who is also bothered by the thin wall at this property.

But yes, the reason that i started up this thread is b/c I want to know what is other FTer's response to this when this happened to them. And from this points on, I will call the hotel immediately.

As for moving me, there's no point since I will be checking out in few hours. No need to move my stuff around since I will have leaving, as I mentioned earilier.
Old Oct 11, 07, 2:53 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Y'all are too polite. I'd just bang on the wall to let them know that they're being too loud.

Compensation? No. It's not Starwood's fault that their guests were overly amorous. Had you asked to be moved, and they refused, then maybe.
Old Oct 11, 07, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
No. You're not entitled!

Originally Posted by TheMane View Post
Although I feel your pain, I don't think you're justified in asking for compensation because of the following combined reasons:

1) A loud neighbor is not an oversight by the hotel staff or Starwood Corporate.
2) You did not provide the hotel staff an opportunity to help you with the problem until the next morning.
3) When you did bring notice to the issue, the hotel staff offered a solution immediately (moving you to a new room) and you declined.

Had you called at 2 am and said "I can't stand these people next door, I can't sleep" and they hadn't provided a solution, you'd have a valid complaint for compensation. However, the staff are not psychic and can hardly be blamed for a noisy neighbor that they are not notified of.

Hotel desks are staffed 24hrs/day. If you have a problem, you must let them know immediately if you expect them to help you solve it.

Hope this helps,
John
Oh wow! I love you! Thats exactly what I would have said. I have said it before, if a situation arises take care of it right then, not later, not after you get home, not two weeks after your girlfriends sisters birthday......

Originally Posted by money_opp View Post
why not just call that room directly.. you know the room #, but they don't know your room.. pretending it's a probe.
I've called people, if you don't want them to trace the call, call from the phone in the hall.

So fellow FTers be warned.
[as Gene Rayburn from MatchGame would say]

If your making (blank) and it interupts my sleep you're going to recieve one (blank) of a phone call to request you knock it the (blank) off! :-:

Cheap Elite is one evil (blank) (blank) (blank) when his beauty sleep is interupted!

Last edited by KENNECTED; Oct 12, 07 at 5:08 pm
Old Oct 11, 07, 4:03 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by money_opp View Post
That is what I was wondering.

You could always call and say "It sounds like you are having so much fun right now, I was wondering - since I cant sleep because of the noise - if I could join in.

Either it stops... or you get an invitation you were not expecting!
Old Oct 11, 07, 4:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
We had this problem two weeks ago, and we called security. Well it turns out that the couple decided to put their little rug rats alone in another room. Well Security and hotel manager came up and ripped them a new one lol. Did not hear a peep out of the brats for the rest of the weekend.
Old Oct 11, 07, 4:58 pm

Programs: Whole Lot of Nothin' anymore - Thanks to baby!
I don't get it - why were your neighbors jumping on the bed? wouldn't that hurt the bedsprings? could the hotel make them pay damages on that?

just kidding
Old Oct 11, 07, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by TravisMT81 View Post
Did not hear a peep out of the brats for the rest of the weekend.
Wait ... the kids were next door having sex?
Old Oct 11, 07, 6:01 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
That is what I was wondering.

You could always call and say "It sounds like you are having so much fun right now, I was wondering - since I cant sleep because of the noise - if I could join in.

Either it stops... or you get an invitation you were not expecting!
LMAO! One of the funniest posts I've read in a longggg time. . .
Old Oct 11, 07, 6:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Wait ... the kids were next door having sex?

LOL no the kids were in the room without parental supervision: jumping up and down on the bed, screaming, hitting the wall, and running in and out of the room screaming and letting the door slam over and over.

Search this Thread