Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is a Starwood Point worth vs. Marriott?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2007, 2:10 pm
jaf
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), UAL (Premier Exec), SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Plat), Hertz (Prez)
What is a Starwood Point worth vs. Marriott?

What is a Starwood Point worth compared to a Marriott point?

Is 1 starpoint = 3 marriott points?

For reference, 1000 American Express points = 333 starwood points. However, you can't get marriott points using american express points so I can't compare.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Lots of people value them in different ways. I have read some posts on here about it and I decided on Marriott = $.0125 and SPG = $.02 You can do the rest of the math to come up with a ratio if you want
Old Aug 27, 2007, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by TheJbomb
Lots of people value them in different ways. I have read some posts on here about it and I decided on Marriott = $.0125 and SPG = $.02 You can do the rest of the math to come up with a ratio if you want
I think that is low for SPG points. A cat 4 worth 10K had better cost more than $200/night for me to even consider using points. It probably needs to be more in the $300-$400/night range.

I think 3:1, Marriott:Starwood is reasonable
Old Aug 27, 2007, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I am thinking 3 MR points=!SPG point sounds about right-but there are exceptions.
If you do a fifth night free or travel package on SPG then you come out ahead of this equation.
Marriott does offer some good packages as well,and really that is all I use my MR points for.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm at about 1:2. I've been PLT in both for years, have hundreds of thousands in each, have redeemed months worth of room in each, and have run mathematical models to get to these numbers.

That doesn't mean it's right, of course.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 8:31 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by El Boocho
I think that is low for SPG points. A cat 4 worth 10K had better cost more than $200/night for me to even consider using points. It probably needs to be more in the $300-$400/night range.
Such a conclusion really depends, in large measure, on how many points one has accumulated and the ease with which incremental points can be earned by any given member.

Someone earning their points the HARD way (i.e. actual stays only with no credit card or other bonuses) would likely be the most hesitant to part with points. But, someone with a corporate SPG AMEX card running up a few hundred thousand dollars a year would see things quite differently.

I'm on the low-middle end of that scale, I'm sure, but I don't know of too many domestic Cat 4 hotels left that would consistently be in the $400 range. Most of my Cat 4 bookings at 10K/nt are likely in the $210-230 range.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 8:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jaf
1000 American Express points = 333 starwood points.
I don't think this is meaningful because American Express may intentionally cripple the transfer from Membership Rewards to Starwood to avoid undercutting its SPG Credit Card.

Diners Club Mastercard transfers to both:

DC 1250 = 750 Starwood (same as Hyatt)
DC 1250 = 1500 Marriott (same as Intercontinental)

...and this suggests a 2:1 valuation.

Still, I think the best way to determine a value is to look at the awards you would claim and what you would otherwise pay.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 5:43 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Most people are leaving out an important variable. In speaking of value, I think you're comparing standard Marriott rates to Starwood rates. But how often have you tried to redeem Marriott and found the only way is to take a "Stay Anytime" Reward?

Marriott may not be too bad if you don't mind staying 7 days AND you can get the room at the Standard rate. All too often, I've found that to be impossible unless I planned way, way ahead. Redemption problems at Starwood are so uncommon that each time someone experiences it, we get a new thread!

I've said it before - if you earn points on the road, the fact that Marriott gives more points per night can take away the pain. But to me, using the Marriott Visa (except for when I stay in a Marriott) is nuts!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
In my experience, Starwood points = .035 (especially if you use them internationally). Marriott = .009.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by DesertRat
In my experience, Starwood points = .035 (especially if you use them internationally). Marriott = .009.
This is a good point. I generally use mine internationally. The recent devaluation might change my numbers posted above a bit. However, give it a year or 2 and they will be back up to that level.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stevens397
But how often have you tried to redeem Marriott and found the only way is to take a "Stay Anytime" Reward?
I will admit that I do try to plan as far ahead as possible with award reservations. But so far in my 12 years and 3+ million MR points, I have never yet had to use a Stay Anytime reward. So while it is nice that Marriott has them, they shouldn't be a normal redemption strategy.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:46 pm

$1 of Marriott hotel spend is far better rewarded in the Marriott Rewards program than $1 of Starwood hotel spend is rewarded in the SPG program. Hence, all other factors being equal, I rarely stay in Starwoods when paying cash.

$1 of Credit Card spend is far better rewarded in the SPG program than $1 of Credit Card spend is rewarded in the Marriott Rewards program.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by El Boocho

I think 3:1, Marriott:Starwood is reasonable
add in areas where the taxes are as high as 21% and as mentioned, non-US currency and I can see the case for using cat 4 points on a $250+/night stay.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
Originally Posted by TheJbomb
If (333 SPG==1000 AMEX) && (1 AMEX=~.03 cents) then (1 SPG == (~.03 cents)3)

Seems like with this Math, 1 SPG ~.09?

Last edited by griffinj; Aug 28, 2007 at 7:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.