Sheraton Santiago vs. Four Points Santiago

Old Aug 18, 07, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Sheraton Santiago vs. Four Points Santiago

I'll be staying in Santiago for one night and am looking for a hotel. I'm debating between staying at the Sheraton vs. Four Points. The Sheraton is a much better point/$ value since it's $200/room vs. $130/room, but I've heard the Four Points location is much better. I'm not really considering the San Cristobal Tower since it's 10,000 points vs. 4,000.

What would other FT'ers suggest?
Old Aug 18, 07, 6:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Have recently stayed at both hotels. Both are good and each have different points in their favor. Sheraton is, as your point value ratio suggests, a more upscale, full service hotel with better finish, better rooms for upgrades, better recreation facilities, more in hotel restaurant options, etc. etc. One drawback in my mind is a slightly more isolated location, but only slightly. Both hotles are close to each other, and about the same time/distance from airport.

For a one night stay Four Points has the advantage of being in the center of a lively restaurant/nite club area and close to shopping, public transport, etc.

Both hotels are reasonable with platimun benefits and late checkout, etc.

Assuming equal award point costs at each hotel, my inclination would be to go with the somewhat more upscale Sheraton. As you suggest it is more hotel for the points. However, given the short stay duration, there isn't really, IMHO, all that much difference between the two that either alternative would be a mistake.

Enjoy your stay
Old Aug 19, 07, 9:04 pm

If you are interested in going out I would recommend staying at the 4 Points since you can walk to a boatload of bars, clubs, restaurants in the Suecia area in under 5 minutes. Also, there is a good 24 hour Empanadium nearby you can visit when the late night munchies hit.

I found the Santiago 4 Points to be one of the nicer 4 Points that I've stayed in.
Old Aug 26, 07, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
smunky, depends on when you are coming to Santiago.

If it is in the next few weeks (late winter/early spring here), I would pick the 4 Pts, which is much closer to the metro, Suecia, shopping. The Sheraton is actually attached to the San Cristobal Tower, they share the same lobby. Makes it great for mattress runs, but at least a 10-15 min walk to the 4 Pts, crossing the river on one of many bridges Santiago has.

If coming in summer, I'd choose the Sheraton, it has a nice pool area, with morning breakfast outside very enjoyable.
Old Sep 28, 07, 9:42 am

San Cristobal Tower and Sheraton are in one complex. About 5 min walk to the Metro through a nice area (Providencia). 4-Points is also in Providencia, have not seen it, but should be nearer to Metro. Providencia is a very nice area with lots of restaurants, shops.
Old Sep 28, 07, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
(This in response to the closed thread that was closed during the time I was typing the reply )
Actually, I'd call the Four Points a tad more "central" than the Sheraton/San Cristobal. However, the Sheraton is only a few minutes' walk across a bridge to the main area of Providencia. Any of these hotels are fine. I've never stayed at the Four Points, but people think it is amongst the best in the world. (That is, best Four Points, not best hotel.) I really like the San Cristobal Tower.

The metro station for the hotel is Pedro de Valdivia. It isn't much "further out" than the Crowne Plaza and is in another neighborhood that is good to be in just for itself. It is also about a CL$1.200 taxi ride down to/up from Bellavista.
Old Sep 29, 07, 7:51 pm

Also, if this makes a difference, I have found that the beds in the 4 Pts are the most comfortable of all the Starwood properties here in Santiago.

(Did several mattress runs last Nov/Dec)
Old Sep 29, 07, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
There is a master thread on all Santiago properties here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600437

Also, there are a number of other, older threads (found by searching on "Santiago" -- titles-only -- in this Starwood forum).
Old Oct 10, 07, 8:19 am

Programs: AA-EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Starwood-Platinum, Avis
For Bellavista, 4Points or Sheraton?

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
(This in response to the closed thread that was closed during the time I was typing the reply )
Actually, I'd call the Four Points a tad more "central" than the Sheraton/San Cristobal. However, the Sheraton is only a few minutes' walk across a bridge to the main area of Providencia. Any of these hotels are fine. I've never stayed at the Four Points, but people think it is amongst the best in the world. (That is, best Four Points, not best hotel.) I really like the San Cristobal Tower.

The metro station for the hotel is Pedro de Valdivia. It isn't much "further out" than the Crowne Plaza and is in another neighborhood that is good to be in just for itself. It is also about a CL$1.200 taxi ride down to/up from Bellavista.
I think the thread that was closed was mine. Doing a mileage run to SCL this weekend. I've got the Chilean entry fee already paid for and my passport expires in Feb 2008, so I might as well get my $$ worth.

Since most of the nightlife I would be participating in (if I can stay up that late) is going to be in the Bellavista area, I'd like to be walking distance if possible. From the map I have, I see that the Sheraton isn't too far. I can't find 4Points. Any idea what Metro stop the 4Points is near. It appears that if I'm walking, the Sheraton is closer to Bellavista than the 4Points.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 10, 07, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by ORDforlife View Post
.... is going to be in the Bellavista area, I'd like to be walking distance if possible. From the map I have, I see that the Sheraton isn't too far....
I am not sure what nightlife you are looking for? I have seen Bellavista only during the day .. boring, not very clean. BTW, it looks like the Crowne Plaza might be in walking distance to Bellavista.

Bellavista is not far from the Sheraton ... a little too far to walk at night, I would take a taxi.
The 4-points is right in Providencia, which has some nice restaurants.
Old Oct 10, 07, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USAFAN View Post
I am not sure what nightlife you are looking for? I have seen Bellavista only during the day .. boring, not very clean. BTW, it looks like the Crowne Plaza might be in walking distance to Bellavista.

Bellavista is not far from the Sheraton ... a little too far to walk at night, I would take a taxi.
The 4-points is right in Providencia, which has some nice restaurants.
Bellavista is full of great restaurants and many clubs - and has cleaned up substantially over the past 5 years or so. The Sheraton is up the hill and while I've walked it, it is an easier walk if you cross the river, eating up time. However, a taxi ride is about CL$1.200. The Four Points (on the other side of the river from the Sheraton and from Bellavista) is a flat walk, but I think it is a little further out. Your closest metro to both should be Pedro de Valdivia, but the metro stops quite early (before 23:00).
Old Oct 10, 07, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Starwood-Platinum, Avis
Thanks for the comments...

I think I'll go with the Sheraton and will, of course, report back. Now if I can only snag an entire middle row on the 767 on the way down, I'll be all set.
Old Oct 28, 07, 3:47 pm

I'm going to SCL in late Nov and was going to stay in Santiago for 2 nights (22-23). I have the same dilemma choosing between these 2 hotels, except I have an extra twist. I will have a rental car with me (on the way to the wineries, Vina del mar). Which of these 2 hotels have easy parking? I was planning to just park it and take the metro to tour the city because I heard it's not a good idea to drive into the city.
Old Oct 28, 07, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmk11 View Post
I'm going to SCL in late Nov and was going to stay in Santiago for 2 nights (22-23). I have the same dilemma choosing between these 2 hotels, except I have an extra twist. I will have a rental car with me (on the way to the wineries, Vina del mar). Which of these 2 hotels have easy parking? I was planning to just park it and take the metro to tour the city because I heard it's not a good idea to drive into the city.
The Sheraton has an easy parking lot. Even better, it is right at one of the Costanera Norte onramps, which means you can go right down the Costanera Norte to Ruta 68 toward Viña without having to drive on any of the city streets. On previous trips, I've taken a taxi out to SCL to pick up my rental car just so I didn't have to navigate through Santiago (which is much easier than a lot of cities I've been to, but why chance it.) I don't know how the telepeaje system works on rental cars (the highways within the city are toll roads without booths - just a tag system).
Old Oct 28, 07, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
The Sheraton has an easy parking lot. Even better, it is right at one of the Costanera Norte onramps, which means you can go right down the Costanera Norte to Ruta 68 toward Viña without having to drive on any of the city streets. I don't know how the telepeaje system works on rental cars (the highways within the city are toll roads without booths - just a tag system).
Si si, good advice. ^ The Sheraton has a parking lot right on site, all rental cars come with the little box attached to the windshield that beeps when you pass under a telepeaje (electronic toll). You'll still need 3.400 pesos chilenos for the 2 toll booths you'll pass through (1.900 for the first, 1.500 for the second, I believe) if you take the 68 through wine country to Vina.

Just past the second toll booth (peaje) on Highway 68, on the right hand side, is a vineyard called 'Casa de Morande', very good food for lunch, and nice to stop and have a glass of vino and enjoy the spring weather down here.

The Sheraton also has a rental car place (Budget, I think) right inside of it. Sometimes there are package rates under the Starwood specials that include use of a rental car.

I stayed in the 4 Pts last night to get another night for the 4Pts promo, and the underground garage is a bit of a pain to deal with, I wouldn't want to be doing it in a rental car in an unfamiliar city.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: