15% bonus on SPG Amex

 
Old Sep 1, 07, 11:38 am
  #61  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Programs: AAdvantage 1MM, Starwood Gold
Posts: 303
Originally Posted by u2vox View Post
Those of you with AMEX account online access (user name and password, so you don't nees an RSVP code to see if you can register for this promo) might want to "check" if you are targeted specifically in the following order:
Thanks for posting this. I qualified for the 15%, but not the other two. Not sure why they did not send me this offer. Also not sure what criteria they use to decide eligibility.

Am I spending too much on my Amex, or not enough to get the other deals?

The 15% does help though, thanks again!

Bob
Mr. Bob is offline  
Old Sep 2, 07, 6:02 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York / New Jersey
Programs: *Wood Gold, Hyatt Plat, AA Gold, UA 1K
Posts: 178
Personal call in response to letter...

I received a call from the Assistant to the VP at Amex concerning my letter about the offer that was not targeted at me. I don't spend on my Amex near what you all do and she offered me 5000 points as a good will gesture. I said thank you and told her how much I appreciated a call back...a letter would have been fine. Very nice lady!!! Hats off to you Amex.
NJTravelers is offline  
Old Sep 2, 07, 7:15 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MSP/PRG
Posts: 147
Originally Posted by NJTravelers View Post
I received a call from the Assistant to the VP at Amex concerning my letter about the offer that was not targeted at me. I don't spend on my Amex near what you all do and she offered me 5000 points as a good will gesture. I said thank you and told her how much I appreciated a call back...a letter would have been fine. Very nice lady!!! Hats off to you Amex.
Did you snail mail the letter or was it a complaint through email?
jairocon is offline  
Old Sep 2, 07, 11:56 am
  #64  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: HY
Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Posts: 2,307
psyflyer is offline  
Old Sep 2, 07, 11:58 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York / New Jersey
Programs: *Wood Gold, Hyatt Plat, AA Gold, UA 1K
Posts: 178
OK...I usually don't spend but maybe $1000 a month on my Amex....I don't charge much...mostly my debit card out of our account. So 5000 point good will gesture is very nice. If I spent more....I would be pissed. I didn't feel I could argue since I don't have a big spend.

I snail mailed the letter with my account number the middle six digits on your card, but not the rest of the numbers.

Call was made on Monday of last week and I mailed middle of August as soon as I saw the info on here.

T
NJTravelers is offline  
Old Sep 3, 07, 10:39 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Programs: AAdvantage 1MM, Starwood Gold
Posts: 303
deleted

Last edited by Mr. Bob; Sep 3, 07 at 11:02 am Reason: duplicate message
Mr. Bob is offline  
Old Sep 3, 07, 11:00 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Programs: AAdvantage 1MM, Starwood Gold
Posts: 303
I asked AmEx about this

I had called AmEx today with a question about my account. After that was resolved, I asked about this promotion, specifically why I had to find about it from a friend rather than AmEx telling me about it.

The CS rep replied that they had notified me of the promotion in July via e-mail.

Maybe they did, but I am pretty good at reading my E-mail from AmEx and I don't recall ever receiving such a message.

Bob
Mr. Bob is offline  
Old Sep 6, 07, 2:32 pm
  #68  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: check foursquare
Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Posts: 14,362
Originally Posted by NJTravelers View Post
I received a call from the Assistant to the VP at Amex concerning my letter about the offer that was not targeted at me. I don't spend on my Amex near what you all do and she offered me 5000 points as a good will gesture. I said thank you and told her how much I appreciated a call back...a letter would have been fine. Very nice lady!!! Hats off to you Amex.
I received a call from Ms. Camaraza's assistant after sending a snail mail letter complaining about never getting targeted for promotions. Very nice lady, but she said too many people from FlyerTalk have written and that in order to be fair she could not offer any bonus points but was glad to "forward my comments to the marketing department".

I didn't mention FlyerTalk by name in my letter, just that we as customers have websites to compare notes on who was offered what promotions. I'm sure this is Robin Korman's way of getting back at me for all my complaints about her new spg.com.
itsaboutthejourney is offline  
Old Sep 6, 07, 7:08 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SEA
Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 3,102
Originally Posted by nroscoe View Post
I received a call from Ms. Camaraza's assistant after sending a snail mail letter complaining about never getting targeted for promotions. Very nice lady, but she said too many people from FlyerTalk have written and that in order to be fair she could not offer any bonus points but was glad to "forward my comments to the marketing department".

I didn't mention FlyerTalk by name in my letter, just that we as customers have websites to compare notes on who was offered what promotions. I'm sure this is Robin Korman's way of getting back at me for all my complaints about her new spg.com.
I fail to see how not being targeted for promotions justifies a handout of bonus points. If you don't qualify for bonus points through a promotion, why would Starwood provide bonus points as compensation for not qualifying? It's counter intuitive.
Seattlenerd is offline  
Old Sep 6, 07, 8:36 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: EWR
Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
Posts: 532
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd View Post
I fail to see how not being targeted for promotions justifies a handout of bonus points. If you don't qualify for bonus points through a promotion, why would Starwood provide bonus points as compensation for not qualifying? It's counter intuitive.
I'm with you, I don't understand this either.
dmbfan222 is offline  
Old Sep 7, 07, 2:24 am
  #71  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: check foursquare
Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Posts: 14,362
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd View Post
I fail to see how not being targeted for promotions justifies a handout of bonus points. If you don't qualify for bonus points through a promotion, why would Starwood provide bonus points as compensation for not qualifying? It's counter intuitive.
It was AMEX I wrote to, NOT Starwood.

What's counter intuitive is targeting promotions knowing that customers share info with each other (aka this thread on FlyerTalk, internet boards, etc.) Knowing ones loyalty is not as good as others creates resentment and does the opposite of encouraging use of the card.

I posted my experience because several others reported getting bonus for writing to AMEX. My reason for writing was not to ask for bonus points, but to complain about the practice of targeting. I'm upset with AMEX for not targeting me and not giving me the same bonuses that others have received for doing the same thing (ie: adding add'l cardholder).

Last edited by itsaboutthejourney; Sep 7, 07 at 2:25 am Reason: typo/clarification
itsaboutthejourney is offline  
Old Sep 7, 07, 7:29 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SEA
Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 3,102
Originally Posted by nroscoe View Post
It was AMEX I wrote to, NOT Starwood.

What's counter intuitive is targeting promotions knowing that customers share info with each other (aka this thread on FlyerTalk, internet boards, etc.) Knowing ones loyalty is not as good as others creates resentment and does the opposite of encouraging use of the card.

I posted my experience because several others reported getting bonus for writing to AMEX. My reason for writing was not to ask for bonus points, but to complain about the practice of targeting. I'm upset with AMEX for not targeting me and not giving me the same bonuses that others have received for doing the same thing (ie: adding add'l cardholder).
Then consider taking your business elsewhere if the normal bonus points you get for using the Starwood Amex aren't enough. These folks aren't morons -- good marketers know about the Internet and sharing of information. If they're not targeting you to incent behavior and you don't feel appreciated as a customer, there's always the choice of not using the Amex.

I haven't been targeted for a single Amex Starwood promotion (and also didn't hit the right timing window to get bonus points for adding an additional cardholder), but I'm still getting the benefits they agreed to when I use the card. That's why I signed up.
Seattlenerd is offline  
Old Sep 7, 07, 5:46 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Weston, FL, USA
Programs: SPG Gold
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd View Post
Then consider taking your business elsewhere if the normal bonus points you get for using the Starwood Amex aren't enough. These folks aren't morons -- good marketers know about the Internet and sharing of information. If they're not targeting you to incent behavior and you don't feel appreciated as a customer, there's always the choice of not using the Amex.

I haven't been targeted for a single Amex Starwood promotion (and also didn't hit the right timing window to get bonus points for adding an additional cardholder), but I'm still getting the benefits they agreed to when I use the card. That's why I signed up.
This is an age old "debate." Is one entitled to something or not? Entitlement is in the eye of the beholder. On this topic, we are all trying to get something more and will often push the envelope in the process. Take the topic of the annual fee!

I am one who made the attempt through snail mail. I did get a personal call from an Assistant Executive (ahem...Assistant TO the Executive....The Office LOL?). Her response was respectful but there was nothing to be done regarding points. She earnestly tried to educate me on how to maximize my points, which was kind and innocently "cute." Today I got a beautiful plant delivered to my office from AMEX with apologies for my trouble. While I would have loved points as I had gotten a few years ago, this effort was uncalled for and kind and will keep me loyal to this card.

We have to realize that system holes are constantly being "sealed" over in an effort to maximize profits. We can debate over how much profit is enough for AMEX or SPG or how inappropriate our wants are, but in the end I think the preschool addage (sp?) prevails in these matters: "You get what you get and you don't get upset." AND "It never hurts to ask."

Last edited by p8riotsfan; Sep 7, 07 at 5:51 pm
p8riotsfan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: