FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   15% bonus on SPG Amex (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/725991-15-bonus-spg-amex.html)

iahphx Aug 18, 2007 9:47 pm

I got the 25% bonus offer -- first time I can ever recall receiving such a deal. FWIW, I had been spending about $3000/month on the card, dropped out early in the year with the devaluation, and had just resumed using the card once the new C&P program began.

While I am obviously happy to get the bonus, the promo seems a bit pointless to me. How many people are going to alter their spending patterns for a modest 25% one-month bonus? Offer me double points, and you might see a change. :)

boston aa flyer Aug 19, 2007 5:15 am

0 for 3 :-(

i wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with my $15K per month spending as of late...

Seattlenerd Aug 19, 2007 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad (Post 8247566)
Always good to be cautious about phishing, but I'm not concerned in this case. I didn't have to provide any account info when I enrolled by clicking the link in the email offer to me. I just had to enter the enrollment code contained in that email. The follow-up email that confirmed my enrollment gave the last five numbers of my Amex account.

FWIW, all of the copyright small print in my emails and enrollment page said 2007.

Yes, I don't know what link someone is seeing "copyright 2006" at. All of the links posted for this promotion show "copyright 2007" or "copyright 1995-2007." And my anti-phishing software is happy with the site. Never hurts to be cautious, but the URL is an Amex URL (even verifying it on clickthrough).

corrad Aug 19, 2007 11:22 am

0 out of 2 :(

DCBob Aug 19, 2007 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob (Post 8255749)
Typical americanexpress.bomb mumbo jumbo:

We're sorry, the system is unavailable. Please try again.

We're sorry. Our systems are currently unavailable and we are unable to enroll your Card at this time. Please try again later. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for your interest in this bonus Starpoints promotion and for your continued Cardmembership.

To learn more about other Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card offers, please visit
www.americanexpress.com/starwoodspecialoffers.

The above message is all I have received when clicking all 3 links over the last 72 hours. Anyone else experience this problem? Am I doing anything wrong?

Steffo Aug 19, 2007 7:13 pm

Thanks for the thread and links. Tried all 3, no luck on any of my 3 Starwood Amex cards. I gues the fact that I already average over $20K a month of spend with them makes them not give me the promo, but it sucks. I'd have ramped it to at least $50K a month even for 15% extra!

FOOLISHRUNNER Aug 19, 2007 8:31 pm

I got lucky and qualified for 25%, but I did not get an email advising me so Thanks again to FlyerTalk regulars for posting this. ^

gleff Aug 20, 2007 6:55 am

Bingo, high spenders are rarely targeted -- they already 'have' you, so no need to incentivize (at least per their models ... they 'have' me at a very high level as well but there is additional spend they could incentivize...)

Seattlenerd Aug 20, 2007 7:00 am

I fit into that category (already more than $30K spending on the SPG Amex this year) so I didn't qualify for the bonus. Promos like this incent behavior, not reward loyalty (my loyalty was rewarded with the points I earned). And that makes sense, from a marketing standpoint.

timothyp_787 Aug 20, 2007 7:13 am

strike 1-2-3...

...and I'm out. No dice for me. :(

Of course, mine's a Business card; wonder if that has anything to do with it.

kiljin Aug 20, 2007 7:19 am

2 Wiffs and finally a base hit at 15%. I spend between 3-8K a month. It is nice to finally get a targeted promotion.

Kiljin

jzafar Aug 28, 2007 9:51 pm

In an earlier post, I wrote that I would send in a letter regarding the promotion since I was hesitant trying out the AMEX links due to phishing scams out there. Yesterday, I received a response by mail from Doria Camaraza that her assistant Howard Williams would be contacting me. Sure enough, he called and said that an email had been sent out to me on Aug 7 with an RSVP code for a 20% bonus on purchases with a 5,000 point cap. I told him that I had not received the email and that perhaps it went to my junk mail. He said he had no way of tracing my RSVP code and that was needed to enroll. He said he would give me 1,000 points as a goodwill. I tried to get more points telling him that I would have surely enrolled had I known of the email and kept telling him to check out my current bill to see how much I spend. He wouldn't budge and kept saying the 1,000 points were a goodwill. So for those of you who have gotten 10,000+ points for writing in, you are lucky!

He then asked how I found out about the Aug 15-Sept 15 promotion referenced on this thread, which I inquired about in my letter. I told him that there are some people I discuss promotions with and that's how it came up. I did not tell him flyertalk.com! He asked that I send him some kind of email, if possible, with this promotion because he wasn't aware of it. I copied and pasted the email someone posted on here. I also sent him the bonus enrollment links here to verify they were legit AMEX sites. He called back and verified that the links were indeed from AMEX and that I should try them out to see if I qualify. I didn't qualify for any of them.

Seattlenerd Aug 29, 2007 4:20 am

Originally Posted by jzafar (Post 8311709)
In an earlier post, I wrote that I would send in a letter regarding the promotion since I was hesitant trying out the AMEX links due to phishing scams out there. (snip) He said he would give me 1,000 points as a goodwill. I tried to get more points telling him that I would have surely enrolled had I known of the email and kept telling him to check out my current bill to see how much I spend.

Appears there WAS phishing going on here, but of the human, not Internet, kind. :D

Incidentally, the sure-fire way to verify something is not phishing (versus fishing-for-more-points) is to make sure the domain in the URL (e.g., americanexpress.com) is indeed the site you normally go to, and then -- instead of clicking on the link -- type it in manually.

From NYC Aug 29, 2007 9:08 am

None of the offers worked for me. Bummer.

SPN Lifer Aug 30, 2007 9:54 pm

Better luck next time. :)