Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

New SVO timeshare promo offers - price going up!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SVO timeshare promo offers - price going up!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Unhappy New SVO timeshare promo offers - price going up!

Just received a new brochure yesterday:

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas, Maui - 5N + Avis = $899

Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas, Rancho Mirage CA - 3N = $529

Sheraton Vistana Villages, Orlando - 4N = $469

All packages now include $100 resort certificate and $200 "excursion gift cert" that can be used for golf, disney, etc.

Must attend 90-minute timeshare pitch to get this price.

For reservations call 800.544.4194

Offer is supposedly non-transferable but I've never know timeshare sales to turn away warm bodies.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:06 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
I have been trying to sell my timeshare in Maui for six months.. no luck
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:50 pm

Just curious, what were the "old" prices for the above 3 packages that you refer to?
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
Originally Posted by Boraxo

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas, Maui - 5N + Avis = $899

Westin Mission Hills Resort & Villas, Rancho Mirage CA - 3N = $529

All packages now include $100 resort certificate and $200 "excursion gift cert" that can be used for golf, disney, etc.

For reservations call 800.544.4194

Offer is supposedly non-transferable but I've never know timeshare sales to turn away warm bodies.
i had one guy in Hawaii trying to "shoo" away people who were there for the presentation to get the certs and threatened not to do any presentation to such people.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Price going up and now you're required to attend the pitch. (where before you weren't--at least theoretically.)
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:52 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
I got a voice-mail message from SVO on Tuesday. Called them back tonight to inquire about their offer. Here are the two offers that they presented to me:

Sheraton Kauai $598 + daily resort fee of $15.
5 nights.
$100 resort credit
$185 Avis rental car credit

Westin Maui $749 + daily resort fee of $20.
5 nights
$75 resort credit
Avis rental car credit, IIRC.

No pressure to make a decision right away. There was no mention of an obligation to attend the timeshare presentation, though I didn't ask.

For $150 more, I'd probably be willing to add on the $200 excursions credit and additional $25 in resort credit that the OP's offer included.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by couscous
I have been trying to sell my timeshare in Maui for six months.. no luck
I assume you are talking about a Marriott timeshare? I thought those were pretty easy to sell. (You might not like the price, but people want to buy them.) I believe the "easy to sell" price is about 1/2 of the list price (which is outstanding value compared to many other timeshares).
Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Just curious, what were the "old" prices for the above 3 packages that you refer to?
See scflier's post - above - for the "old prices". As you can see, they are lower but don't include the funny-money credits for "excursion gift certs". Also, they do not require timeshare presentation - at least mine doesn't (I am going to Maui in October at the old package rate).

Personally I prefer to pre-pay for as little as possible, but obviously others may find better value with all the gift certs. The Avis is a good example - I was able to reserve at a rate lower than $185/wk - but the credit cert requires that you call a special # and book at a special (higher rate) so my discount was negated. Ce la vie - I'm not complaining. $110/night + tax for a Westin resort room is hard to beat - even on priceline.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 7:48 am

Programs: SVO, SPG Gold, AAdvantage, TrueBlue
Anyone have any rates for the rest of the SVO properties?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:08 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex

I just received (and accepted) a very different offer for Orlando by phone:

4 nights, 1 BR = $150, incl. $100 "refund" (which may be a resort credit, but the agent said I could apply it to the $150), no excursion cert., $79 to claim with balance due upon booking, must attend presentation. When I countered that 1BR might not fit my family, and that we wanted to wait 'til my youngest (currently 2 1/2) was older to go to Orlando, we got the 12 month period extended by an additional 8 months, and a 2BR for $230.

The agent I spoke with didn't seem to know very much. When I asked her if Vistana Villages participated in SPG, she said, "It's a Sheraton... all Starwood properties participate in SPG."

"So when I check in, I"ll get a platinum upgrade?"

"Well, let me check with my supervisor...Okay I can offer you the 2BR for $20 more per night."

My wife was concerned that, since both of us have to be present at the presentation, we'd have childcare problems at least for that 90 minutes. So they threw in free babysitting... not just for the 90 minutes, but for anytime we want it during the entire stay. Maybe that's a standard feature at Vistana Villages, but that alone is worth what we'll pay for it.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:10 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by sbrower
I assume you are talking about a Marriott timeshare?
I am talking about the Westin Kaanapali resort.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, AS MVPG-75K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Silver, Nat EE
Is it hard to book the SVO package?

Through a referral from a current owner, we just received an offer for Westin Maui for 6 days/ 5 nights for $749 including $75 resort gift certificate and $185 towards Avis rental. Resort charge of $20 per night additional.

Requires payment upfront with 18 months to book. And there is no mention on materials of requirement to attend timeshare presentation.

Materials state that "reservations must be made 60 days in advance and are on a space available basis. Availability is limited"

My question: How "limited" is the availability??? Appreciate any input from those who prepaid for this offer on how easy / difficult was it to book? Would hate to payout $749 and not be able to use it or be stuck with an inconvenient time of the year.

thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2007, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by couscous
I am talking about the Westin Kaanapali resort.
If you really want to sell it, you'll have to be willing to accept about half of what you paid for it. List it on redweek.com. What percentage of the current sales price are you trying to sell it for? How are you trying to sell it?

I'm in contract to sell my Kauai Beach Club (Marriott) timeshare from a listing I posted on redweek. It took a few months to get an offer. I hope it closes.

If I buy another one, it will certainly be at resale and not from the developer.

-David
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:01 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Originally Posted by UFgatorgal
My question: How "limited" is the availability??? Appreciate any input from those who prepaid for this offer on how easy / difficult was it to book? Would hate to payout $749 and not be able to use it or be stuck with an inconvenient time of the year.
Did it twice. First time couple years back, no problem getting a Aug 30 week. Called about 6 months out. 2nd time was very difficult (both at Westin Maui). 2nd time I wanted Feb / Mar vacation. First I was told the rooms are not "released" (back in summer last year). Keep calling back, and in Oct was told everything was booked solid -- of course, it's peak time. Called back in Jan for April/ May, nothing. My package was expiring in May I believe. They did an extension, and somehow offer me a July week (right after July 4). So I took it.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UFgatorgal

thanks!
They play a lot of games. We originally bought the package 18 months ago, were told in March that it was too early to book for the following January (which of course was not true if you just wanted a straight hotel booking on spg.com). Of course, by late summer they were "sold out" for the package in January. As with the other poster, we then received a call earlier this year saying that our package would expire. Explained that we were not to happy - they agreed to book columbus day weekend in October so we are leaving this week!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.