Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Privilege Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2005, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Starwood Privilege Australia [Master Thread]

check out there web site http://privilege.starwood.com/

have a look at the Four points Sydney as an example for a room tomorrow.!

Privilege best rate with the 10% $206...

Book it on SPG best rate $163....

How can the Privilege be a good deal, its a total rip, I just think its someone with a dodgy website rebooking rooms for a fee.!...

And if its the food deal you want...well....$43 will buy you a lot of food in Syd..
I think your better of with the Starwood card as it is, Gold and Plat offer much better deals...

Just my 2 cents
Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
i hate to be the gringe that spoils christmas but i can further vouch that starwood privilege programme that is being marketed as a starwood discount programme for Asia Pacific is really a deceitful marketing ploy.

I recently renewed my Starwood privilege programme for 2006.

When Michael Derghem from Blight Street office in Sydney phoned me the other day, he kind of marketed to me as to how the new revamped Starwood privilege programme is even better than before and that now there is no black out dates for the use of the vouchers and discounted rates and that there is even a supplementary card.

The actual fact is that black out dates still do exist. Case in point is the Westin Melbourne when due to the commonwealth games in 2006, a certain period has been designated as a special rate period. I.E, during that period of 15 march to 27 March 2006, SPG central has authorised that Westin Melbourne is allowed to have a special rate that asks for a min. 4 night stay and that all rates are close to rack rates and that they must be pre-paid. In short, the property has been pre-declared as a conference centre.

When i brought this up, i was initially told that no i was wrong. It was only later that when i was transferred to a supervisor that i was told that yes sorry a black out date does exist and that it was a special period. The supervisor has the cheek to tell me that no minimum night stay was required when in fact central reservations has said otherwise.

What i am pretty pissed about is that i was lied to about the above and that i was further lied to when i asked Michael how many 50% off vouchers would i be getting and he merely said its included in the package and i was assured that there would a few. When i received the package yesterday, there was only 1. I phoned up and was told that there was only suppose to be only one.

With regards to the supplementray card, i asked Michael Derghem if it was ok if i left the name blank, he said yes its ok and there was mutual understanding i would receive 2 cards. When i received the package yesterday, there was only 1 card and when i called yesterday, i was told by a different person, Amera that i cannot leave the card name blank and that Michael should have told me that but i said no he did not.

I was given an apology and am still waiting for a reply by Michael and starwood privilege as to what can be done but i was told that under no circumstances would I be given a refund. Amera said she can probably give me more vouchers as compensation.

Im not sure what to think. I like very much to be still part of the starwood privilege programme but this deceitful marketing move by a starwood employee has made me extremely wary in dealing with starwood.

Furthermore, long time starwood privilege members would know that under the new programmes, the rates have actually gone up. I currently hold onto a few 2004 vouchers that expire at the end of this month and compared those rates with the new 2005/2006 Starwood privilege rates and the 2005/2006 rates are actually more expensive by about 20%.

When the starwood privilege website changed interface, in October this year, there was a link that supposedly allow 2004 members to book online. The fact is that the link is broken and members who wish to utilise those paper vouchers have to call central reservations and as i have pointed out in another thread, some agents are not pro-active in offering all the rates available. You have to ask specifically for a certain room category in order to be told that room rate.

And william, as much you have like to roclaim how good SPG starwood customer service is, i think my above statements is evidence of why there are many people who do not really think highly of starwood. I used to be one of thsoe who highly supported starwood but now am wary in my dealings with any starwood employee.

I hope this post will empower Fters would wish to purchase the starwood privilege programme. Information available from privilege.starwood.com.

cheers
Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
Additional info that Fters should be aware of

With regards to my previous post, i am postign to give advance warning to flyertalkers regarding the starwood privilege programme in Asia Pacific.

I am in the midst of a dispute resolution process as there has been a few issues of misrepresentation and false advertising. Furthermore, i did not receive what i was promised. I may post the outcome but discussions are still ongoing and it would be premature for me to post ongoing discussions. I would however say that in my time in doign business with starwood and their entities, the is probably the most difficult as the contact i am dealing with was initially insisting that they are starwood and made claims which are incorrect.

Firstly, i think all Fters should be aware that Starwood Privilege DOES NOT belong to STARWOOD. The programme is run entirely by a third party company or vendor known in Asia Pacific as GMS (Asia Pacific). Whenever anyone in Australia or in asia Pacific calls, the marketer would identify themselves as starwood privilege and even use an email that goes [email protected]. Truth be told, they are GMS(Asia Pacific) Employees and would not disclose and may be unwilling/ not forthcoming to disclose even when asked directly if they are starwood.

It does give reasonable conclusion that you are dealing with someone who is a starwood employee but is not.

The point that im trying to raise is that at least in the near future, it would be advisable to be extremely wary of anyone who communicates with you claiming to represent starwood. By email, anyone who uses [email protected] may not necessary be from starwood and may be a vendor. The only email address i think that can be trusted is if it goes by [email protected] but even then, unless you can be 100% certain that you know who you are dealing with, i don't think you should be willing to disclose any details about yourself as they are probably third party agents and not starwood employees. In fact, i have been told that starwood in certain circumstances will allow third paty vendors to use starwood domain websites and emails, giving the impression that they are starwood but are not.

With regards to specifics about the starwood privilege programme, all i can say without compromising existing negotiations is that even when reading the fine print, you are not being given what you are told.

Its not really a programme that provides the cheapest rates as the rates being offered as being cheaper are meant only to mean cheaper during non-busy periods and cheaper by the rate classified as "best available rate" NOT best available rate if that makes any sense..

Im happy to post more once i reach an outcome but things so far have looked grim.....
Old Aug 11, 2007, 9:06 pm

Exclamation Starwood Privilege Australia [Master Thread]

In Australia, as an SPG Gold member you get few benefits. This has been discussed on many non Platinum benefit threads.

We have few SPG properties with none in our Nations Capital City or Adelaide or Cairns or Darwin or Townsville or Brisbane or the whole state of Tasmania.

Getting Plat status is hard to say the least but the http://privilege.starwood.com/ programme helps provide better benefits.
Mid tier status on its own gives you nothing.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by aussiechris
In Australia, as an SPG Gold member you get few benefits. This has been discussed on many non Platinum benefit threads.

We have few SPG properties with none in our Nations Capital City or Adelaide or Cairns or Darwin or Townsville or Brisbane or the whole state of Tasmania.

Getting Plat status is hard to say the least but the http://privilege.starwood.com/ programme helps provide better benefits.
Mid tier status on its own gives you nothing.

Starwood privelidge is a rip off in OZ.
you have to book any BAR rate through their own website or u cannot take the $50 and $100 vouchers off. the 50 and 60% is off the full rack rate and I avhe never seen it cheaper than the current rates as it is not usable most times. its a program just for people who cant say NO.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
Starwood privelidge is a rip off in OZ.
you have to book any BAR rate through their own website or u cannot take the $50 and $100 vouchers off. the 50 and 60% is off the full rack rate and I avhe never seen it cheaper than the current rates as it is not usable most times. its a program just for people who cant say NO.
Tinkybelle,

I have never used any of the vouchers as I have always booked "10% off the Lowest rate".The dining discounts work fine with me when I holiday with the family. The program is about to change for the better

Last edited by aussiechris; Aug 12, 2007 at 1:09 am
Old Aug 12, 2007, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by aussiechris
Tinkybelle,

I have never used any of the vouchers as I have always booked "10% off the Lowest rate".The dining discounts work fine with me when I holiday with the family. The program is about to change for the better

are you selling these little expensive 10% offs??
Old Aug 12, 2007, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
are you selling these little expensive 10% offs??
Not at all
I am HH Gold and SPG Gold. This week in Perth I am staying at the Sheraton rather than the Hilton because of my Starwood Privilege discount offer!
If the Hilton offer worked out better I would have booked Hilton.
If you can get me a better HILTON offer, I will cancel the Sheraton and book the Hilton...can you!!!!!!!!
I notice you spruik HH Diamond...I am envious!
Old Aug 12, 2007, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
This is the most recent lengthy thread about the program.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 1:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Thanks kevinsac for providing the existing thread. Folks - I'm going to kindly ask that you continue the discussion in that thread. Thanks.

ldsant
*wood Moderator
Old Sep 24, 2007, 6:33 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Can anyone tell me the current cost to join Starwood Privilege in Australia?
I thought it was possible to join through a Starwood hotel but just stayed at Sheraton on the Park and they said no.

I don't want to fill in the online form and go through a long hard sell without any idea of the cost. I understand how the dining and accommodation discounts work and it may be worth me joining, depending on the cost. Also do they offer any other "extras" like vouchers in Australia?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 12:48 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
Hi Snufl,

I have been a member of Starwood Privilege in Australia for about 5 years now, and fall in and out of love with it. Currently I am in love with it as the last year have made good use of it. My renewal price in December 2006 was about $269, or slightly less.
Apart from being able to book rooms at 10% less than Best available rate, and 2 people being able to dine for the price of one (food only) you get various vouchers. It seems the more you push the renewal agent the more vouchers you can get.
For example I got vouchers for 60% off rack and 50% off rack.
Vouchers for various hotels for more than 2 people to dine at 50% off,
eg. 8 dine pay for 4.
Vouchers for special weekend room rate at Westin Melbourne.
Vouchers for late check out.

My suggestion would be to phone them on 1300 723 402 to talk about price and vouchers, and if you consider it worthwhile to join up.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 5:19 pm

Thanks rick253 for giving so much information. After a few calculations I decided that at worst I will break even after 12 months so decided to try it and joined yesterday. Cost was $279. So far so good. Just booked 3 nights at 10% off BAR with a total discount of $79.

Lady on the phone told me about several vouchers but I won't comment until I get them and read any small print.

I was surprised that you can nominate anyone for the second card, this gives the opportunity for 2 people to share the cost. I have already given mine to a friend, however if any FTers are thinking of joining this could be a good option.

My only real question for the agent was if joining could have any negative impact on my SPG membership, such as excluding me from SPG promos. She assured me they are designed to compliment each other and I wouldn't have any problems. I'll report back from time to time, in case it can help anyone else.

Last edited by snufl; Oct 4, 2007 at 5:35 pm
Old Oct 4, 2007, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by snufl
I was surprised that you can nominate anyone for the second card, this gives the opportunity for 2 people to share the cost. I have already given mine to a friend, however if any FTers are thinking of joining this could be a good option.
Is a second card always offered for Australian-issued accounts? Or, did you have to "bargain" for this one as an incentive? The card was at absolutely no added cost? That seems a good deal.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 7:04 pm

I don't know if the second card is usually offered but I did not ask or bargain for it. It was offered quite early in a very loooong sales pitch, something like "I'll include another annual membership card for free". The agent even mentioned that I could possibly share the cost of membership with someone else.

I just let the agent keep talking, answered her questions, and was careful not to give any "positive responses". My feeling is that I probably only got what "incentives" are normally given to close the sale.

Both cards are sent to me, however the second card has my friend's name and from my understanding has the same benefits. Only difference is that a couple of the vouchers can only be used by the primary cardholder.

As I won't receive the cards (and written fine print) for about 2 weeks, thats all I can tell you for now. From what I was told on the phone, I wish I had lined up someone to share the cost before making contact. But I do have one happy friend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.