Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 6:02 pm

Westin Embassy row

Any recent stay at Westin Embassy row ?
I plan a week end stay and will use point and hope for a platinum upgrade.
Based on previous posting it looks like a good selection...but going on the website of the hotel under "announcements" states that until Sep 01 remodeling is going on....Has any one stayed there recently ? Is this a major remodeling and is it better to skip this hotel for now ?

Thanks

"Hotel Restoration Until September 1, 2008

The hotel is currently undergoing a historic restoration until September 1, 2008. Guest rooms, meeting space, and the restaurant will be restored. We are excited about the new look and furnishings each guest rooms will be receiving and hope that during this time you will experience little or no inconvenience. Please contact the hotel for further information

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...propertyID=245
Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:34 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Westin Embassy Row to become Luxury Collection - The Fairfax

I'm surprised I haven't seen a bigger blip on this thread about this. A great hotel in one of the best spots in town for those of us who don't want to be in an area that shuts down at night is lost to those who don't have unlimited expense accounts.
While I've said in previous posts that this property needs a refreshing, I didn't mean a refreshing that bumps it up in price. I was there for three days and the only thing that's changed is chocolates on the pillows. I don't see how this property with it's small lobby, rooms that have been refreshed rather than upgraded (they didn't change the feel of the hotel, just the color scheme) now rates as LC? Is it only the fact that since there is now a Wyndham converted to Westin, three Westins in DC was too many? I loved this property for its location, great people, satisfactory service and when I got a room on Mass. Ave or 21 St rather than the back of the property it was always a nice stay at a usually reasonable price.
I'm sure those prices will be long gone with no appreciable change in the property as a whole. Nice that 'Wood is expanding but for this guest, it's a let down.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:55 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
HUH???
Why are you upset a prices, when we don't even know if the category will change (unless I missed this information) or if revenue management plans on increasing prices?
What Luxury Collection property has the same rate structure as a Westin? Please list them so I can vacation at them or use them for business travel!!!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 7:06 am

Programs: Hyatt
Stayed there 5 months ago. I did not get an upgrade as a diamond although the property seemed quite empty. The room was small and looked outdated even after the renovation. Service was not good. Westin Arlington was much better.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Fulkerson
Stayed there 5 months ago. I did not get an upgrade as a diamond although the property seemed quite empty. The room was small and looked outdated even after the renovation. Service was not good. Westin Arlington was much better.

There is no Diamond level at SPG. Platinum perhaps? What room did you get so we can help you determine if you got an "upgrade". Please remember an upgrade is listed as a "newly renovated" room or "room with view/higher floor". It looks as though your stay occurred, when the main portion of the hotel was being worked on.

I'd also like to remind folks that there are still lots of rooms under construction and as I posted earlier the amount of suites has been greatly decreased, as they added rooms, so the suite upgrades of the past will not hold true for the future.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
We stayed at the Westin Embassy Row this past weekend. The last time we were there (Labor Day Weekend 2005) was pleasant, but the place looked tired. The renovation was needed, and the rooms are a bit nicer than they used to be.

We arrived around 12:30 p.m. Friday, and the clerk at the front desk said that we had been upgraded to an Executive Suite, but it was not ready yet. We decided to store our bags and explore. When we got back a few hours later, our room was ready, but I had to tell the clerk that I wanted the 500 points as my amenity.

Our room (200) was directly above the entrance. The window of the living room looked directly over the awning, but noise was never a problem. The room was comfortable and tastefully decorated. The bed was up to usual heavenly bed standards.

Continental breakfast was free and OK. Orange juice (but no grapefruit juice!), coffee, pastries, fruit, and cereals. Getting refills for coffee and juice was exhausting, but the waiters seemed overly afraid that guests might forget to sign the breakfast ticket!

Everyone else we encountered--front desk, front door, and housekeeping--was extremely friendly and willing to help with our requests. We paid $118/night, which we considered a great deal.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 3:02 pm

No longer Westin!

The hotel appears to have been rebranded last week, and is now the Fairfax Embassy Row, a Luxury Collection property. Has anyone seen a difference with the rebranding?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:47 am

Worst starwood hotel ever!!!!

I stayed last weekend for the first time at this hotel (after rebranding). I have stayed at over 20 Starwood hotels before and this might be the worst one ever. I will tell you all the problems we had. Oh, I am also a Platinum SPG member.

1. Arrived around 8:30 PM. My room wasnt ready! They said it hasnt been cleaned from the prior guest. I had dinner reservations which I was already late to. I even called the hotel at 7 AM in the morning to request an upgrade, which wasnt given to me but they assured me I had a "very nice" room. I wasnt offered anything for my inconvience either or even my platinum checkin gift. They actually didnt even know what I was talking about so I just dismissed it. Disappointed with being Platinum and staying here.

2. When I finally got my room the hallway had wet paint! Dont touch the walls! Smelled terrible. I threw my stuff in the room to go out to dinner. Cant believe they would put people where they just painted that day. Also, the main restaurant is underconstruction there and they were serving some food in some conference room on the 2nd floor. Ice machines only on floor 2 and floor 5.

3. JACKHAMMERING at 7 AM! Right outside my room! They obviously arent finished with the remoldeling. I complained right away to change room but they said they were completely sold out and couldnt do anything. I even wanted to change hotels and they said "this is not an option". VERY UNACCEPTABLE!

4. 4 days after check out I noticed I was charged an additional $200!!! I called and after speaking with several people they decided it was a "deep cleaning" to the room where they claimed I smoked in a non-smoking room. I did not do such thing! I do smoke but I went outside to smoke every time. They said they found empty cigarette packs in the trash can. Uh-YEAH! Thats what happens, I throw away the pack! Come on people! Use some common sense. They refused to cancel the charge so I am disputing this charge on my credit card.

Poor service and terrible hotel. I will never stay here again when I go to DC. Maybe I will stay across the street at the Hilton. That looked much nicer.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:32 pm

It has been my experience if you call in advance they can get you an upgraded room if you are Platinum. I actually called the morning before I flew to DC. It based on availability the date you check in. Your best odds are early in the morning before other elite members check in.

Yes I talked with the manager and he was the person who basically said "i cannot help you"
Old Nov 21, 2008, 1:22 pm
Community Director Emerita

pspmann222, I notice that you are new to FlyerTalk and the Starwood forum. Welcome! Thanks for sharing your stay experience with us.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:25 pm

Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
stayed about 3 weeks before the official transition. i love that they are refreshing the hotel in a way that keeps the old-world hotel aspects intact. i think i just don't fully get the "luxury collection" philosophy. I had a mixed experience, but staff could not have been nicer.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 6:45 pm

any update for this property since the conversion? is this hotel located in the tourisy area?
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: United 1P, Delta GM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
I have a stay planned at this property starting Friday. I'll try to take notes/pictures and will post a proper trip report next week. I'm booked into a Jr. Suite, so I'm hoping that I can avoid some of the less desirable rooms that were referenced in earlier posts.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by 90minfromJFK-CDG
I have a stay planned at this property starting Friday. I'll try to take notes/pictures and will post a proper trip report next week. I'm booked into a Jr. Suite, so I'm hoping that I can avoid some of the less desirable rooms that were referenced in earlier posts.
If you booked a Jr. Suite you're not going to get a specific room. So you wont be assigned a bad room.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:11 am

Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
any stays - thoughts - reports since the conversion? I want to know how they're settling in to the "luxury collection" philosophy (if there is one.)
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.