Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]

GONE: Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington DC, Left SPG 12 Oct 2015 [Master Thread]

Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by silam
I usually stay at the Westin Grand. I stayed once at City Center and found it a little run down looking, and a less desirable location. I have a stay booked at the W next week. Is it worth exploring the Fairfax compared to the Westin Grand? The Westin Grand has never upgraded me to a suite (I understand they have very few), but at least their gym is adequate.

What is the gym like at the Fairfax? Do they have weights and items other than treadmills? I'm here for business so I mainly care about gym, the room for when I'm working in the evenings, and where I can walk to for grabbing dinner (or the hotel restaurant if its any good).
Did you read my review above? The gym is small compared to either Westin Workout. The Fairfax is located on Dupont Circle, so there are plenty of restaurants withing a 5 minute walking radius of the hotel. The Fairfax is a 10 min walk (at most) from the Westin Grand. So from M Street to Dupont Circle you have plenty of choices.

I suggest checking out this thread as well

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Last edited by KENNECTED; Sep 29, 2010 at 4:02 am
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Just returned from 2 nites at this property and have to say, I found it uncomfortable. Was it supposed to have been renovated recently? I'd say it needs another one, or a more thorough one. I do understand that older properties have little quirks built into them, but some things here were just not good: 1) heating/ac system wheezed loudly all nite long, I tend to prefer real quiet in the middle of the nite; and 2) entrance door did not fit the door frame, there were big gaps through which hallway noise AND LIGHT filtered, so the room was never really dark for sleeping. I mean, come on, we're not in the 19th century anymore, at these rates I think one should rightly expect certain minimum standards of modern comfort even in a "historic" property. Oh and yes -- fabric on the desk chair and bench were badly soiled and stained, not appealing to sit on. This is luxury?

On the plus side, the staff were all very nice and helpful; and location cannot be beat, a block to the Dupont Circle Metro, great walking, Phillips right there and tons of nearby eateries etc. But still -- you could have all that in a much more physically comfortable facility a block away on P Street; not Westins to be sure, but for me anyhow comfort will trump loyalty and/or "atmosphere" every time. Had originally wanted the Westin Grand but ended up here when that was booked; won't repeat that experience.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by time2go1st
Just returned from 2 nites at this property and have to say, I found it uncomfortable. Was it supposed to have been renovated recently? I'd say it needs another one, or a more thorough one. I do understand that older properties have little quirks built into them, but some things here were just not good: 1) heating/ac system wheezed loudly all nite long, I tend to prefer real quiet in the middle of the nite; and 2) entrance door did not fit the door frame, there were big gaps through which hallway noise AND LIGHT filtered, so the room was never really dark for sleeping. I mean, come on, we're not in the 19th century anymore, at these rates I think one should rightly expect certain minimum standards of modern comfort even in a "historic" property. Oh and yes -- fabric on the desk chair and bench were badly soiled and stained, not appealing to sit on. This is luxury?

On the plus side, the staff were all very nice and helpful; and location cannot be beat, a block to the Dupont Circle Metro, great walking, Phillips right there and tons of nearby eateries etc. But still -- you could have all that in a much more physically comfortable facility a block away on P Street; not Westins to be sure, but for me anyhow comfort will trump loyalty and/or "atmosphere" every time. Had originally wanted the Westin Grand but ended up here when that was booked; won't repeat that experience.
Since the reno, I haven't had a bad experience.

When you brought the above negatives to management, what was the response?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by time2go1st
I am also just back from 2 nights at the Fairfax this week and didn't have these same issues. I was in a room that looked very recently renovated, including a flat screen HDTV with a number of actual HD channels (wonder of wonders!)

I didn't notice any HVAC noise, though I'm not super sensitive so perhaps I'm not the best judge.

There definitely was no light leak in my room - as a matter of fact I was actually disappointed that there wasn't a digital clock by the bed because it was so dark that there was no way I could read the analog model. I personally like to know what time it is when I wake up (even in the middle of the night), so that was annoying.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Since the reno, I haven't had a bad experience.

When you brought the above negatives to management, what was the response?
Quite frankly, I did not have time nor inclination to wrestle with management about these issues. Fortunately for me I guess, I was sufficiently jet-lagged that I was able to just pass out and sleep. If it had been a longer stay there would have been a discussion and resolution, or an early checkout. But, it does make me question if the reno has been extended to all the rooms, maybe I was given an old one -- for the record, it was 420.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by AlxStevens
I am also just back from 2 nights at the Fairfax this week and didn't have these same issues. I was in a room that looked very recently renovated, including a flat screen HDTV with a number of actual HD channels (wonder of wonders!)

I didn't notice any HVAC noise, though I'm not super sensitive so perhaps I'm not the best judge.

There definitely was no light leak in my room - as a matter of fact I was actually disappointed that there wasn't a digital clock by the bed because it was so dark that there was no way I could read the analog model. I personally like to know what time it is when I wake up (even in the middle of the night), so that was annoying.
Congratulations, sounds like I would have loved to have your pitch-black room -- when you were not in it of course. I did have the flat-screen also which was nice, and also no digital clock, but that's okay by me, I personally don't like to see those in the middle of the night and depend on my own travel alarms -- to each his own I'm sure.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond & MM; Lifetime AA Plat; Starwood Plat; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; AvisFirst
After reading CE's review of the Fairfax I had to try it out as I also like small boutique and historical hotels. On one of my first trips to DC, I stayed at the Jefferson and never forgot the service and experience. Unfortunately there are not many of those types of boutique hotels that were part of my frequent guest programs until I joined SPG this year and learned about the Fairfax. Now I have a new ATF in DC..

If you like people remembering your name, what you had to eat or drink the day before, and treat you more like a house guest than a hotel guest, you will like the Fairfax. .For me however, it was the consistency of service delivery that set it apart from ANY hotel that I have stayed in years. Turn down service, candy on the bed, newspaper at the door, water and ice refreshed, and all expendables renewed without fail every day for the entire 5 day stay. Every replaced item was in the exact spot it was the day before. I have never seen this at other hotels (including *wood) over longer stays..

The hotel was sold out and so I was not able to get a suite, but I got a large room facing Mass Ave. .I was a little worried about the noise and light from the previous posts, but I had none of these. I slept perfectly in a very elegant and historical room. Despite being sold out, I was amazed that I never waited for more than 30 seconds for the elevator to open up. In fact, the lobby elevators were always waiting (doors open) when I arrived. This may be an anomaly according to a lobbyist friend who said that many times visiting diplomats will rent an entire floor and sometimes rooms above and below the diplomat's room for security reasons..

The bar reminded me a lot of the Jefferson with it's nooks and crannies where you can have private conversations for two or host large groups without interfering with other groups or guests. I noticed a lot of folks use the Fairfax bar as a meeting point to go out for dinner somewhere in DuPont Circle or the Jockey Club at the Hotel.

My only complaint is that others appear to like this hotel as well and getting a room at a corp rate will be challenging. ^
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
Just completed a three night stay at The Fairfax. Upon check-in was told that I had been upgraded from Superior to Grand Deluxe room. I asked if the upgraded room was on Mass Ave and was told it was not, and that I could take a superior room on Mass instead. Decided on taking the larger room (was not planning on spending much time in the room). Arrived at the room and immediately heard a loud ventilation-like rumble coming from the hall. Got in the room, and noticed the noise was coming from inside the room. Seems like the air flow system (or w/e it was) for the floor, was based in the room. The door to the machine was similar to a closet door but locked. I went back to the lobby and asked for the smaller room on Mass Ave. The receptionist without any question or objection said no problem (alerted him to the noise in the room to which he didn't seem surprised). Not sure how anyone could sleep in that first room with that noise. He then found a GD room on Mass (like I had originally asked), and the room was just a bit smaller than the last but certainly fine by my standards and there was no noise. It was on the third floor and the street noise was barely audible, and I never heard anyone next door or in the hall. I did have a bit of light coming in from the hall at night, there was a ~1/2" gap from the bottom the door to the floor, but that was no issue for me. I received the Post every morning as requested as well as USA Today. I really enjoyed the hotel and the historical aspect of it, and the fact that it felt like the building really fit quite well with the surrounding neighborhood. The gym was equipped with four or five treadmills with built in tvs, and several free weights, but really no other machines. There was also a Starbucks a couple steps behind the hotel with free wifi. Despite the minor first room issue, I really enjoyed staying there and would gladly stay again.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:18 pm

We had a most pleasant 3 night stay here in late Dec.---upgraded as a Gold to a quiet spacious room facing west. As a previous poster mentioned, they provide consistently good service, with a very friendly reception desk. Good breakfasts, and the gym was clean, uncrowded, and had a few elliptical machines (my preference) mixed in with the treadmills. Along with the extremely convenient location close to the Dupont Circle metro stop, the hotel provided a very nice experience, and we look forward to staying again one day (perhaps as a Plat!)
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
mixed bag

My parents stayed here for two nights. Mixed experience:

1) Terrific restaurant.

2) Convenient Location, classier than the nearby Hilton but less chic than the Dupont Hotel or the Palomar.

3) Room was small but generally clean. Didn't get an upgrade for SPG Gold.

4) Valet parking is expensive but oh so convenient.

5) All in all, not really a Category 5/Luxury Collection. More like a 4.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:28 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Had a 2-night stay here last Sunday - Tuesday.

Service
Very responsive to most requests (bowls and spoons for the cereal I bought from CVS, shoe shines, getting the car, wake-up and follow-up calls, etc.). I never felt like I was being a pain by asking for something, which unfortunately I do at other properties, i.e. the W hotels I've stayed at. Sole exception, next paragraph.

Platinum Recognition
Not good. This was the major problem at this property. I had made the reservation last year when I was still Gold. Lurker says that properties are provided lists of upcoming elite guests and their status. Evidently, this property does not pay attention to this information. There was no recognition at check-in. When I got to my room (*46), I noticed my keyholder said Gold.

I called down and asked if they had my Plat status. They said I was a gold. I said I was a platinum. They actually told me to call SPG and have someone call them. I felt that a property of this caliber should be expected to do the leg work for the guest on something like this. I said that I would call, and I inquired if a suite was available. I was told that none were available.

I called SPG. They said, well your reservation shows that you're a platinum, I don't know what they're talking about. I waited on hold a few minutes. Then the platinum concierge says she's called the hotel, they're updating my status, and they're "cleaning" a deluxe suite and that they'll call me to move me. SPG.com had shown select standard suites for sale, so I figured the guy's line was a ruse.

We were about to go to dinner, so I called down, the front desk clerk (very friendly about all of this, which was the redeeming factor), says that if we leave our bags in the room, they'll be moved by the time we get back. I said, "thank you for accommodating us," we left for dinner, and when we got back, sure enough, our bags had been moved into a nice suite (*00) overlooking Mass Ave, turned down with robes and slippers laid out.

Parking
Actually it's $42.56 per night because parking is taxed here. But it really is very convenient...

There is very limited meter parking available nearby. Actually, spots are not hard to come by at certain times of the day, but the no-parking hours (M-F 7-9:30 and 4-6:30, IIRC, I may be wrong) made the valet worthwhile. If you want to pay less, there are a few overnight garages in DC for $10-15, but it would either be a hike or a train ride.

Overall, the stay was great except for the hiccup at check-in. Honestly, if any of the other staff members we encountered had been manning the front desk that night, it might have gone very differently. And considering I got a great $144 prepaid rate on SPG (rooms were going for $369 for our nights about a week before we stayed), it was an excellent value.

I would stay here again, but if the same thing happens in the future, I'll be disappointed.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:07 pm

Just checked in. I am a lowly gold at the moment (should hit plat in May) and got bumped to a deluxe room, which seems pretty standard for golds. Very friendly and attentive so far (my Scotch made it up very quickly! ). Room is great, first time I have been here post renovation. First time I have been here in ages actually. Room overlooks courtyard, so rather quiet, which is nice. Will report if any unpleasantness occurs, but I don't foresee it.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: SPG Plat / Marriott Plat / Hertz PC
Checked in yesterday as a platinum member. Booked a standard room and was upgraded to the Grand Deluxe Room. The room is large and comfortable. It is a corner room that faces the street and no noise could be heard. So far, I am very happy. I will be staying here for at least another 6 stays (3 nights each) so I'll update again later.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Room type with mixed paid and award stay

I'll have a paid night at the Fairfax and one night on points...mixing it up since the rate is pretty low on Saturday (paid night) and pretty high on Sunday (the award night). I'm willing to pay a bit more for the Grand Deluxe room since the Superior rooms are pretty small.

How likely is it that they'll downgrade me for my award night? I'm only a Gold and my last stay there as a Plat didn't get me upgraded.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:24 pm

Does anyone have an email contact for Stephen Johnston, the GM?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.