Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:53 pm

Anyone see this: Up to 450K on the table and a short window of opportunity with Marriott & SPG

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...f-opportunity/

Thoughts?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:55 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Hi, so tone clear the spg biz no longer gives lounge access at Sheratons starting when?

Does the biz cc get a free 35K night award?

Thank you!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by frank_10b
Hi, so tone clear the spg biz no longer gives lounge access at Sheratons starting when?
August 1.

Originally Posted by frank_10b
Does the biz cc get a free 35K night award?
Yep!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:17 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Angry

Originally Posted by N515CR
August 1.

Yep!
I only kept the cc for Sheraton lounge access
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:30 am

thinking of apply for SPG Amex personal and SPG luxury pre the Aug 26 restrictions. Gather need to leave at least 5 days between applications - when am asked for an SPG number which I don't have should I input my current Ritz Number or leave blank?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:14 am

Any idea how we get the free night? My membership renewal fee was charged on Aug 3. Just wondering if anyone else also had their fee charged after August 1 and how do they redeem the free night from the card (SPG business)
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Aabey D'mello
Any idea how we get the free night? My membership renewal fee was charged on Aug 3. Just wondering if anyone else also had their fee charged after August 1 and how do they redeem the free night from the card (SPG business)
From the Cdn Amex thread, so they might be taking their time!

Originally Posted by prmetime
I received an email from American Express today regarding the card. In this message it notes that 8-10 weeks after your annual "reset date" the free night certificate will be posted. My reset date is August 1 and will post once I note the certificate is noted in my account.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:42 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Free Night Award (up to 35k points)

Each year, after renewal of your Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card, you will receive one Free Night Award from Starwood Preferred Guest. The Free Night Award can be redeemed for a one-night stay inclusive of room rate and applicable taxes at participating SPG and Marriott Rewards hotels with a redemption level at or under 35,000 points.

The Card Member may be responsible for payment of additional mandatory resort fees at properties where resort fees are applicable, and is responsible for all incidental charges. This benefit is only available to the Basic Card Member on the Card Account.

The Free Night Award will be automatically deposited into your loyalty member account within 8-12 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date in the form of an e-certificate. You will receive an email from SPG to the email address listed on your loyalty member account confirming that the Free Night Award e-certificate has been deposited into your loyalty member account. The email will also provide instructions on how to redeem your Free Night Award e-certificate. To redeem the Free Night Award e-certificate, you must log into your loyalty member account and apply the e-certificate during booking. The Free Night Award e-certificate will expire after 1 year from issuance. E-certificates may not be transferred, extended beyond the expiration date, or re-credited for points. To qualify for the Free Night Award, your account must be open and not in default at the time of the Free Night Award e-certificate issuance. Please visit spg.com/cert for a list of participating properties.

American Express is not responsible for fulfillment of Free Night Award e-certificate redemptions. Redemptions are subject to the terms and conditions of the loyalty program.
Source: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...#benefit-terms
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
This card was my first ever travel hacking card, long before I started my career as a road warrior. I was so excited to get free hotel nights back then.

It's sad to see it go to the sock drawer, but it's great to see it'll be easy to apply the certificate via the website and 35k point hotel is more than sufficient to be able to justify the fee. Off the top of my head, I could see myself using it in Barcelona, Boston, Cancun, Miami, San Diego or DC
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
it's great to see it'll be easy to apply the certificate via the website
Yep. For the Aspire card, Hilton gives you a code and you have to call to use it.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yep. For the Aspire card, Hilton gives you a code and you have to call to use it.
Of course with Marriott IT, we will see how well it works.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Of course with Marriott IT, we will see how well it works.
Marriott website and app have historically worked pretty well applying free certs online.

We get it, you're bitter about the acquisition
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Kacee
Marriott website and app have historically worked pretty well applying free certs online.

We get it, you're bitter about the acquisition
Not bitter at all. In fact, a bigger footprint is probably better for me. What I am, is someone who has used the Marriott website over the last few month with various levels of success.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:13 pm

Yeah - trying to transfer points from Marriott to SPG has not worked for me yet. Each time I try, I am met with a different problem, from email verification (emails never arrive) to white boxes with no words or buttons that I cannot pass.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Just received August statement - Points calculation looks good!

I just received my SPG Amex statement with the statement closing date of August 13.

This statement had SPG/Marriott stays on it both pre- and post-August 1. The points calculation is correct!

I also prepaid a small amount of Vistana maintenance fees on August 1 to verify the future points earning on those and I'm happy to report that I earned 6x points on that amount.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.