Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Besides the extra 2S/5N, what does the Personal Card offer that will make you want to keep it when you have the Business?

How would everyone on here value the $95 fee for just the 2S/5N benefit?
It's a cushion for me that I have needed 2 years in the last 6. There is no way I'm NOT going after platinum and thus I see this and the personal card as a buffer. I keep paying, but this year maybe my last needing it as next year I will be lifetime platinum.
coolfish1103 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:17 pm

Besides the extra 2S/5N, what does the Personal Card offer that will make you want to keep it when you have the Business?

I'm going to make use of that benefit on both cards this year, plus the 2x elite credit targeted offer, to get Platinum.

But in general, I find I get enough value out of the offers to make it worth it. Even though I have a whole bunch of American Express cards, including free ones that also come with offers, I get enough out of them that I feel I can keep any Amex with an annual fee under $100. I realize that's not the case for everyone. As an example, though, this year I went to Vegas with a group of friends and had 6 rooms booked in my name at Aria. I was able to use the #AmexMGM twitter offer (now expired) on every single one of my cards, plus a few of my friends did too. For the SPG cards, that was $60 per card. Since I have an authorized user card for my wife for both of them, that right there saved $120 per card for the $95 annual fee. Anything else is a bonus. I'm also going to end up with huge value out of the spend $300 get $60 SPG offer on my cards this year, too.

Again, I realize this doesn't work for everyone. But for me, I can justify any of these annual fees with it.
coolfish1103 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE

I value the ability to separate my personal and business expenses!
coolfish1103 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Travelomania
Ha ha ... it's very deceiving since the link does not work and I already spend more than 90 minutes by chat and phone to get Amex to even acknowledge the promo.
I offered screenshots, to no avail.
Will try again tomorrow.
I just got an email on this targeted to my personal card
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

removed

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 26, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Wow That Was Fast

Applied for personal card late Friday night, card delivered via UPS on Monday.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: free agent
Hey, got a quick question about hitting $30k spending to keep SPG gold (and Marriott gold). Just tried to clarify on few things with an incompetent Amex chat agent, and he's no help. I reached over $30k recently based on my calculation during my current billing cycle, so I shouldn't be worried and assume that AMEX can detect that I made $30k during 2017 calendar year since my statement will end on Jan 7.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:01 am

I don’t see a question but the $30k includes December charges regardless of the January statement date if that’s what you’re asking.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Looks like I and few friends got 4S 10N credit from amex card, others still get 2S 5N

Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by gokeeper
Looks like I and few friends got 4S 10N credit from amex card, others still get 2S 5N

Yeah I got 2 Stay and 5 Night credit in early January and today I got 4 Stay and 10 Night credit today
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Where did you see this ? I also received this, but thought it was a mistake!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:25 pm

Received 4S/10N today as well on top of my annual posting on 1/9. Thanks SPG.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Huh, I got an email a couple hours ago but assumed it was just a delayed email from the earlier posting (1/10 for me) and didn't think to check my account. But I have only received an undeserved extra 2 stays/5 nights, who can I complain to?

I assume this is just an error that will get fixed...

(Reminiscent of I think last year when a bunch of DL cardholders got extra MQM boosts that were eventually reversed but not before some people grabbed Choice Benefits due to temporary status bump...)
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Also got a double-counted stay/nights bonus; I'm at 8 stays / 20 nights overall. It was enough to push me over to Platinum for the year (I already had 30+ nights for 2018), so I got an email notifying me I have platinum until 2020 8)
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:45 pm

Same here, I was wondering what is up with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.