Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by goaliemn
I had referred acouple of friends for the starwood Amex using the promotion cards sent to us awhile back. I haven't seen the points yet. My question is, are the points coming from Amex or SPG?

My Amex annual fee is due this month, and I was thinking of closing the account, but I definately will keep it open if its required to get the points.

Thanks
The points will come from Amex, from what I've seen it takes up to 12 weeks for the points to show up in your SPG account. So depending on when you did the referrals you might want to keep your Amex account active. Sorry wish the news could have been more favorable.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ruby SPG AMEX card

I got a new red colored spg amex card. the old platinum card still had 2 years on it. new card has same part number as old card.

the piece of paper to which it was attached states"P.S. IT REALLY IS THAT GOOD."

I no longer stay at *wood hotels. I only spend a couple three thousand a month on this card any more.

did I get anything with this card?

does it do anything extra for me?

why did I bother to listen to the sales spiel just to activate?

I did a search, and found a 10 page thread on what maybe the new red card, but I really could not tell, and could not figure out what or why a new card.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:00 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
No need to worry, because nothing has changed.

Yes, that thread was about the new card. It got re-designed, and AmEx wants you to have the new design. If you preferred the old design, then you could've cut up the new one and kept using (or not using) the old one. If you really don't use the card, call AmEx and close the account. The new benefits of the card (namely, an extra Starpoint for spend at SPG hotels) are in effect regardless of whether you use the blue or red card.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
One new feature is Expresspay. It was featured on the Amex website and is essentially point of service wireless payment. Ever use an Oyster card in London or the Octopus Card in HK?

I was intrigued and turned the card over to look for the Expresspay logo but it wasn't there. I reluctantly called CS about it and they said it was already activated even though the logo wasn't on the back of the card. Result, I got an earful of the upsell even though I had already activated the card online.

The big question: is the SPG card worth keeping any longer?

Jim
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Cannot see any real difference.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:06 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by jimquan
One new feature is Expresspay. It was featured on the Amex website and is essentially point of service wireless payment. Ever use an Oyster card in London or the Octopus Card in HK?

I was intrigued and turned the card over to look for the Expresspay logo but it wasn't there. I reluctantly called CS about it and they said it was already activated even though the logo wasn't on the back of the card. Result, I got an earful of the upsell even though I had already activated the card online.

The big question: is the SPG card worth keeping any longer?

Jim
What is this ExpressPay you speak of? Just got my new-designed card today and am fascinated it has more functionality than the old one?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Gold, WN A-List, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by alect
What is this ExpressPay you speak of? Just got my new-designed card today and am fascinated it has more functionality than the old one?
ExpressPay is AMEX's name for "contactless" card technology. Instead of swiping a magnetic strip (or cranking an addressograph over raised digits), you wave the card over the reader. As far as I know, several Visa/MC issuing banks have begun offering a similar product.

Here in Boston, I've seen the readers at movie theaters and CVS drugstores, but haven't ever tried it. According to the card issuing banks, the transaction is just as secure as a mag strip transaction.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by EricJay
ExpressPay is AMEX's name for "contactless" card technology. Instead of swiping a magnetic strip (or cranking an addressograph over raised digits), you wave the card over the reader. As far as I know, several Visa/MC issuing banks have begun offering a similar product.

Here in Boston, I've seen the readers at movie theaters and CVS drugstores, but haven't ever tried it. According to the card issuing banks, the transaction is just as secure as a mag strip transaction.
Only, one can swipe your number more easily, apparently, with some sort of reader while the card is sitting in your pocket...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_...y/4206464.html
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:24 am

goaliemn - When your points post they will look something like this:

SPG AX LOYALTY BONUS (50/50) Dec 25, 2006 5000
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
ExpressPay is AMEX's name for "contactless" card technology.
Originally Posted by slippahs
Only, one can swipe your number more easily, apparently, with some sort of reader while the card is sitting in your pocket...
That's unfortunate. Almost as scary as putting RFID chips in US passports. Methinks the new ruby card will stay at home in my desk drawer. I'll keep using the old one as long as I can -- or until I decide if another card has better rewards given the recent, massive *pt devaluation...
Old Feb 6, 2007, 5:26 am

Is there a link for signing up to get the referral bonus? Does the person you are referring still get 10K bonus or do they only get 5K? (The 10K minus your 5K referral bonus.)
Old Feb 6, 2007, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by upgrader
Is there a link for signing up to get the referral bonus? Does the person you are referring still get 10K bonus or do they only get 5K? (The 10K minus your 5K referral bonus.)
The referral bonus promo was targeted and it ended Jan 22.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this an electronic sensing/transmitting device, or an optical device(like my bar code for gym)?

not to worry about theft, AMEX is here:

If your ExpressPay is lost or stolen, please call Customer Service at 1-877-621-6155. Your ExpressPay will be deactivated and a new one may be issued. You will not be liable for fraudulent charges made to your ExpressPay.

seems to me that making clone chips, if this is an electronic sensing/transmitting device will become a major cottage industry.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Mrs. MileKing and I received our pair of ruby red SPG AMEX cards in the mail yesterday. After opening the envelopes, I closed my eyes, tapped the cards together three times, and said to myself, "there is no devaluation, there is no devaluation, there is no devaluation".

Today I checked the SPG site to see if it worked.......no such luck.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta: Platinum, Turkish: Gold (Star Alliance Gold); HHonors: Gold; Hyatt: Plat; SPG: Plat;
MileKing:

Maybe there is a different chant than

"there is no devaluation, there is no devaluation, there is no devaluation"

Let us know if you find it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.