Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis PC
Can spouse also get SPG Bonus?

I'm thinking about signing up for the SPG Amex card with the 10K + 15K at $15K spend in 6 months special. If I sign up and then we get our 15K spend, can I then also sign my wife up and get another 10K + 15K with her card as well?

I see that SPG allows you to transfer points between accounts in the same house hold, so I'm hoping we can pool our points together then and both get a bonus. I'd assume we both have to pay the annual fees, but then maybe after the first year we'd cancel one of the cards.

I searched on this but couldn't find a hit, although I figured it would have been asked?

Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2010, 2:55 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Yes, she can get her own card in her name (with her SS#) and get the bonus on her account as well. She'll need to use her own SPG # as you indicated.

Last edited by MilesTalk; Feb 9, 2010 at 4:21 pm Reason: sp
Old Feb 9, 2010, 3:23 pm
formerly DNPierson1

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Does anyone have a link to the 10k signup + 15k bonus for the biz SPG Amex? Could have swore I saw that somewhere recently...
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by DNPierson1
Does anyone have a link to the 10k signup + 15k bonus for the biz SPG Amex? Could have swore I saw that somewhere recently...
Bottom right of the page:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/index.html
Old Feb 9, 2010, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mrpickles
Be sure to disable ....... if you have it.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I currently have a SPG AMEX card, and a companion card for my wife. In the past, I'm pretty certain that I also have had a biz card, and I believe my wife has had different SPG cards in her own name.

My recollection is that you can only earn an SPG AMEX signup bonus once. Is that still correct? And is there any "statute of limitations" -- like if you haven't had a certain card in, say, three years? Also, is there a way to check whether you've already received a bonus for a certain type of card before you apply? With the issuers tightening up on credit, I don't want to "waste" an application.

Sorry if this has been recently addressed -- I haven't read all 63 pages and a
"search" didn't lead to the results.

Just trying to generate a few extra SPG miles -- and signup bonuses definitely would help!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
I currently have a SPG AMEX card, and a companion card for my wife. In the past, I'm pretty certain that I also have had a biz card, and I believe my wife has had different SPG cards in her own name.

My recollection is that you can only earn an SPG AMEX signup bonus once. Is that still correct? And is there any "statute of limitations" -- like if you haven't had a certain card in, say, three years? Also, is there a way to check whether you've already received a bonus for a certain type of card before you apply? With the issuers tightening up on credit, I don't want to "waste" an application.

Sorry if this has been recently addressed -- I haven't read all 63 pages and a
"search" didn't lead to the results.

Just trying to generate a few extra SPG miles -- and signup bonuses definitely would help!
I believe "once" refers to each type of card. And as far as I am aware there is no statute of limitations...it's "once" per card, forever.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zentos
I'm thinking about signing up for the SPG Amex card with the 10K + 15K at $15K spend in 6 months special. If I sign up and then we get our 15K spend, can I then also sign my wife up and get another 10K + 15K with her card as well?

I see that SPG allows you to transfer points between accounts in the same house hold, so I'm hoping we can pool our points together then and both get a bonus. I'd assume we both have to pay the annual fees, but then maybe after the first year we'd cancel one of the cards.

I searched on this but couldn't find a hit, although I figured it would have been asked?

Thanks!
Make sure one of you refers the other. There's a 5K bonus for the person who refers a new qualifying cardholder.

If you'd like a referral from me for the first card, of course, I'd be happy to oblige.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
I believe "once" refers to each type of card. And as far as I am aware there is no statute of limitations...it's "once" per card, forever.
Have they tweaked the cards in any manner such that they might be different somehow: like is it just a "personal" SPG AMEX and a "business" SPG AMEX, or are there any variations?

And, before you apply, can you check with AMEX to see if you've ever received the bonus?
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:40 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
Have they tweaked the cards in any manner such that they might be different somehow: like is it just a "personal" SPG AMEX and a "business" SPG AMEX, or are there any variations?

And, before you apply, can you check with AMEX to see if you've ever received the bonus?
If you had the old SPG personal Amex (that said Platinum on it) you should be able to get the current one with its signup bonus as it technically (in their systems) is a new card. No guarantees, but decent bet. Other than that, once per lifetime per flavor (business and personal).
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I have an SPG biz card that I signed up for during a time that there was no additional 15k bonus points for $15k of spend, so I only got the 10k bonus points for opening the card. Would I be able to get 15k bonus points for spend if I signed up for a new biz card, or that's lost to me forever now?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 1:34 pm

The biz card does not offer the 15k bonus for 15k spend in 6 months. Only the personal card. Check out the t&c on the app page.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by neetadevnani
Has anyone heard of a SPG Amex promotion where you get 10000 points on application and 15000 points after spending $500 in 3 months as opposed to $15000 in 6months ?
I was offered this plus *wood Gold. Mailing came @ Thanksgiving.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daveland
If you had the old SPG personal Amex (that said Platinum on it) you should be able to get the current one with its signup bonus as it technically (in their systems) is a new card. No guarantees, but decent bet. Other than that, once per lifetime per flavor (business and personal).
I applied for my wife, and they're sending her the card. I guess we'll see if the bonus posts, and then go for the 6 month spending bonus.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: Mega Bus Plaid; Southwest Airlines Ruby and Bates Motel Platinum
New SPG Amex Question

I am planning on applying for the SPG AMEX and eventually I would like to add my wife with a subsequen account so we can get the maximum bonus. My question is should I add her to carry an additional card on my account initially so I can maximize spending opportunities and if I do will that prevent her from getting a card down the road? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.