Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:27 am

I am sure you would. Can anyone help? thanks
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leftpinky
I am sure you would. Can anyone help? thanks
As posted many, many times in both threads you've posted in here, you can only refer for a card you have. If you don't have a business card, you can't refer for one.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:36 am

Unfortunately, right now, the link for the 30k bonus doesn't work. You just get a message saying the system is down and to please call the 800 number. Is it worth taking a chance by applying for the card over the phone without a screen shot to prove you were entitled to the offer?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:16 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Long Islander
Unfortunately, right now, the link for the 30k bonus doesn't work. You just get a message saying the system is down and to please call the 800 number. Is it worth taking a chance by applying for the card over the phone without a screen shot to prove you were entitled to the offer?
Both links work just fine for me! Not sure how you are trying to apply, but either link in my signature will work for you right now.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
This may be anathema to say in this forum, but the AMX/SPG card is the mediocre equivalent of a store credit card, to be used solely at SPG properties, not a major credit card to be used everywhere. I have now expended almost all of my SPG points and I am gladly cancelling the card and bidding good riddance to Starwood's customer disservice. And when they ask me why I'm cancelling, I'm going to name names.

RNE, Candid customer feedback is so important to corporations; I wouldn't want to deny Starwood my valuable opinions.
Not sure what lead you to this conclusion. IMO the SPG Am Ex is still the best card for your every day spend. What card do you think offers better bang for the buck?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dguruswamy
If you think the SPG Alex looks cheap then consider how that the HHonors Amex is even uglier. Luckily I often use it grocery stores, gas stations and drug stores and I usually check out at the pump or automated lane so none sees it but members
Don't have that card...although I was considering the new Hilton Honors reserve card.

But while I've always felt the SPG Amex looked pretty bad, after receiving my sapphire card in the mail I now think it looks embarrassing in comparison. Really SPG, can't you do something to make the card look more fitting of such a great program?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:12 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Not sure what lead you to this conclusion. IMO the SPG Am Ex is still the best card for your every day spend. What card do you think offers better bang for the buck?
I maximize my bang for the buck with the Presidential Plus MasterCard from Chase. I like the perks: 1x spend and 2x airline miles, inexpensive club membership, flexible elite/premier miles, no forex fees, insurance and widespread merchant acceptance. (Yes, there is a big annual fee but the club membership makes up for that and everything else is gravy.)

Anymore, I use my SPG card solely at SPG properties, much like I use my Sears card only at Sears stores. And since I don't plan to patronize SPG properties anymore because of personnel inadequacies, I easily concluded that I don't need the AMX/SPG card anymore. YMMV.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 5:51 pm

Approved!

I apologize if this was posted elsewhere but didn't see it.

I currently have an SPG Card (from last year) and tonight was approved after I applied for the current offer on the internet. Does the fact that I was approved mean that I will definitely get the 20 K points (for spend) and possibly the 10k for the welcome bonus?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by ddfr
II currently have an SPG Card (from last year) and tonight was approved after I applied for the current offer on the internet. Does the fact that I was approved mean that I will definitely get the 20 K points (for spend) and possibly the 10k for the welcome bonus?
See post 1619.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:22 am

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddfr
II currently have an SPG Card (from last year) and tonight was approved after I applied for the current offer on the internet. Does the fact that I was approved mean that I will definitely get the 20 K points (for spend) and possibly the 10k for the welcome bonus?

See post 1619.

@ Beltway, thank you. However, I would like to ask (after having seen post 1619) if people can confirm that I will get the spend bonus even though I have an active SPG account from last year. In other words, did I need to cancel this card (which I didn't because I didn't want more activity prior to doing this application) in order to have a shot at the spend bonus.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:29 pm

got on the 30k first day they offetred it this time. think i have till feb to spend the $5k.
here's my question. if i refer my wife around chrirstmas if they come back with the 30k like last year, i can get 5k for referal, she will get the 30k for spending another $5000, but can i list us as the same rewards number if we have two seperate credit cards account or does she have to have her own rewards account? if so isn't pretty easy (read no cost) to transfer points between the two accounts?
also if i cancel my account before the fee do i only have to wait a year to be able to get the bonus again?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by mtbmtb01
got on the 30k first day they offetred it this time. think i have till feb to spend the $5k.
here's my question. if i refer my wife around chrirstmas if they come back with the 30k like last year, i can get 5k for referal, she will get the 30k for spending another $5000, but can i list us as the same rewards number if we have two seperate credit cards account or does she have to have her own rewards account? if so isn't pretty easy (read no cost) to transfer points between the two accounts?
If your wife also has an SPG account and her address on the account is the same as yours (for >30 days), then you can transfer points between accounts. I'm not sure what happens if you link your SPG account to the same type of credit card with different account holders. I personally wouldn't risk it and just use her own SPG account for her credit card, then transfer the points over.

Originally Posted by mtbmtb01
also if i cancel my account before the fee do i only have to wait a year to be able to get the bonus again?
I believe that is what the new terms for the SPG Amex states. However, you ARE allowed to apply for both the SPG Personal & SPG Business cards. Thus, you can technically alternate between the Personal and Business every 12+ months as long as these new terms stay the same. Since it used to require cardholders to not have had the product for >2 years, I don't think anyone's really tested this new churning method.

Try searching for articles/forum posts on SPG Amex churning and you'll find lots of articles on how people creatively "maximize" their points from sign-up bonuses.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:07 pm

SPG for United travelers

What is a good strategy for United elites regarding this card? Any United elites using this card? Would you recommend transferring the miles to US Airways at 1:1.25 and then using award tickets via US Airways. (BTW I don't have status on US. )
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by redmaple9
What is a good strategy for United elites regarding this card? Any United elites using this card? Would you recommend transferring the miles to US Airways at 1:1.25 and then using award tickets via US Airways. (BTW I don't have status on US. )
In general, yes, but with two recommendations:
Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:25 pm

additional card

I would like to add my wife as an additional card member and am seeing that they require her SS # in order for her to be given a card.

Does this mean that a credit inquiry will be done on her if we add her as an additional cardmember?

Any insights would be very much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.