Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

The NEW spg.com (launched 7/20/07) - [Master Thread]

The NEW spg.com (launched 7/20/07) - [Master Thread]

Old Jul 18, 07, 10:19 am
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Arrow The NEW spg.com (launched 7/20/07) - [Master Thread]

According to the web gurus, the new spg.com is going to launch on Friday, July 20th, so they've asked me to give you a heads up and a view into what is in store.

No doubt most of you have already been to this web site to get an overview of the pages and a snippet of the new functionality, but if you haven't, please take a look:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot..._SPGCOMINGSOON

The first thing you may notice is that the site will recognize visitors in three separate ways once it is launched: 1) if you are not a member, it will offer an opportunity to join SPG, 2) if you are a member, and have logged in after the launch, it will recognize you even if you are not logged in and offer a page that is more appropriate for you, and 3) when you are logged in, you will be able to see your name, member number, status, # of stays to the next elite level, total stays & nites this year, total Starpoints, and the last award used. In addition, you will be able to set up the page according to your own wishes using MySPG.

The search feature has been improved as well. Award search defaults to a particular payment option: Preferred (free) Night Award, Cash&Points, Paid, etc. What displays may depend upon what is available at the time you are searching. You will also be able to do a direct search by offers and while the search is free-form, the site will suggest destinations where we actually have properties. Using "my recent searches", you will be able to view past search results.

I was excited at first to see "other Starpoints redemption options" in addition to paid, free nites, and cash & points, but at this moment in time, none of those options are available to be booked online. Indeed, the call to action will be to call the Customer Contact Center for reservations involving Nights & Flights, SPG50, additional Starpoints for an upgraded room type, etc. So, this should just be considered as a heads up that these may be other possible uses for point redemption and not as a function of the site itself.

As stated before, it is here - at the property search results field - where one would first be informed about a property being a non-participant in SPG, as far as the reservation process is concerned.

One very bright spot is that you will now be able to track promotional awards that you have earned, complete with the ability to book them online.

Regardless, this is just a brief review of some of the improvements, but if you have any specific questions between now and the 20th, feel free to ask them here and I'll see if I can get an answer for you from the web gurus. Otherwise, I guess we will all wake up to great expectations Friday morning.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Note from Moderator: This thread has been divided into two parts. Posts prior to the launch of the site on July 20 have been moved here, so that this thread is devoted to comments posted since the site went live. -AZ

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Jul 21, 07 at 2:03 pm
Old Jul 21, 07, 12:14 am

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
It's here, the new look SPG.com has finally arrived.

Casey.
Old Jul 21, 07, 12:30 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
Yes, it is indeed here. Just got home and thought I would give it a try, enjoying it so far but haven't played too much yet.
Old Jul 21, 07, 12:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K
Not Bad

It looks pretty nice.. still to try the actual features/ergonomics.
Old Jul 21, 07, 1:15 am

Programs: SQ PPS, Jet Airways Platinum,
Looks good. Still some teething problems I think from my sign on. Seemed a bit slow ( perhaps with all us FTers logging on). One comment, for all those who thought the C&P would get loaded, well, they are not.
Old Jul 21, 07, 2:10 am
JSC

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks View Post
let's just say i won't be able to laugh hard enough if this thing doesn't roll out today.

and, i will have four words:

1) par
2) for
3) the
4) course.

or...

1) i
2) told
3) you
4) so

(to all of those people that said "give it a chance.")

(not only will it be late, but it will still s*ck (no spg50 online, no matrix of rates, etc.)
Here's 3 more for you

1) eat
2) your
3) words

well done to the spg boys for pulling out the stops and thanks William for keeping us all informed ^ Of course there will be teething problems but then what new site doesn't have (see over at the BA forum on the new 241 functionality). You get more than enough flak here from doubters but compared to toher programmes I think Lurker is a USP for me
Old Jul 21, 07, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Error in Euro version of new website

I'm in France now and when I call up spg.com I get the new page, but at the top it says "For help, call ++800-325-75757". That number doesn't work. The real +800 number is +80032555555

At least My Reservations works! Finally!!
Old Jul 21, 07, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Cookies don't seem to work though. I have to enter my number each time I log into the website.
Old Jul 21, 07, 4:49 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
Some features are really slow!

Originally Posted by IndiaFlyer View Post
Looks good. Still some teething problems I think from my sign on. Seemed a bit slow ( perhaps with all us FTers logging on). One comment, for all those who thought the C&P would get loaded, well, they are not.
Old Jul 21, 07, 5:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Slow to load and if it's pushing to geographically-related zones prior to sign in that's not my cup of tea either.
Old Jul 21, 07, 5:15 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Here are problems that I have encountered so far:

Frequent sign-ins still required. In fact, more frequent than before. Checking-off "Remember Me" doesn't help. I thought this was supposed to be fixed. Major, major disappointment!

Response is glacially slow. Hopefully, just "teething" problems.

I was told before that in the "new" SPG.com, under "Activities," award reservations will now reflect the name of hotel not just the hotel category and points deducted. I looked at my current award bookings and info is still cryptic. I don't know about when making new award bookings.

Problem with default date being 12/31/08 still there.

Tried to book C&P in Bangkok for late October... all 4 hotels show "Cash & Points isn't currently available at this hotel." Huh?

Clicking on "More Starpoints Redemption Options" brings up generic redemption options for all hotel categories, not just options for the specific hotel category or options available for that hotel.

Overall, preliminary verdict: I am underwhelmed.

Last edited by bp888; Jul 21, 07 at 5:21 am
Old Jul 21, 07, 5:33 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
Cancelled stays have been bumped up to their original dates which looks a little ugly (would be nice to be able to hide these in some way). The slowness is the biggest problem though

Jeff
Old Jul 21, 07, 5:34 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, HH DIA, MR, UA 1k
The Check-in tool is kinda neat for the desktop. I guess its required to send SMS alerts. For some reason the check-in tool says I have 0 Starpoints.
Old Jul 21, 07, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
this in itself keeps me from using Starwood. It should not be this difficult to get a room, view a reservation, cancel, etc.. why is this only a starwood issue.. is it the quality of the IT guys they are using?

Originally Posted by bp888 View Post
Here are problems that I have encountered so far:

Frequent sign-ins still required. In fact, more frequent than before. Checking-off "Remember Me" doesn't help. I thought this was supposed to be fixed. Major, major disappointment!
Old Jul 21, 07, 5:51 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
Seeing all of these canceled reservation is scary! Why are they showing them???

More important, why does the call centre not know that I can see all of these???

Originally Posted by jswong View Post
Cancelled stays have been bumped up to their original dates which looks a little ugly (would be nice to be able to hide these in some way). The slowness is the biggest problem though

Jeff

Search this Thread
Search Engine: