Bad availablity for awards in India

Old Jul 19, 07, 8:17 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by mlasser View Post
So a Starwood property could have no rooms considered standard? What about one small room with a twin bed? This is beginning to sound like a topic for a Ben Mutzenberger column in USA Today! No blackout dates does not mean in any way you can actually use points for a room. LOL.
LOL, indeed.

This kind of reality only exists in the realm of conspiracy theory. However, there are some Starwood properties whose lowest category rooms are deluxe, not standard. Still, they somehow manage to put these deluxe rooms up for standard award availability.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Are any of the current Starwood hotels in India amongst those hotels which have no standard suites to which the Platinum upgrade benefit is applicable?
Old Jul 19, 07, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
LOL, indeed.

This kind of reality only exists in the realm of conspiracy theory. However, there are some Starwood properties whose lowest category rooms are deluxe, not standard. Still, they somehow manage to put these deluxe rooms up for standard award availability.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

There's also evidence that in India, there are proporties not making rooms available despite listing themselves in an award category. I think I found some properties in Dubai not participating as well. This is not in alignmnet with SPG marketing which implies you'll be able to stay in properties at any time. And I caought the typo...Ben Mutzenbaugh is the right name.

Last edited by ldsant; Jul 20, 07 at 10:27 am
Old Jul 19, 07, 12:16 pm

Sometimes rooms listed as "deluxe" on SPG.com are actually "standard rooms" for purposes of redemption. In such cases "deluxe" is the spin to make a "standard room"-buyer think that they may be getting something better than they would expect if knowing exactly how the hotel categorizes all of its various rooms.
Old Jul 19, 07, 2:12 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by mlasser View Post
...There's also evidence that in India, there are proporties not making rooms available despite listing themselves in an award category.
Really? Well, send me this hard evidence and if it holds water, then I'll see that something gets done about it. Until some factual evidence is presented, it all falls into the conspiracy theory realm, precisely where it belongs.

I think I found some properties in Dubai not participating as well...
You can't sling a dead cat and not hit an SPG non-participating property in Dubai. There is probably more per capita of non-participating properties in that country alone than any other four countries put together.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 4, 07, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Are there any hotels in Mumbai (Bombay), Delhi, or Calcutta (Kalkota) that offer fairly good rates for US travelers? Could factor in to my decision from a Hilton stay...
Old Sep 10, 07, 9:22 pm

India Hotel stats

Recently, I read some stats . The number of hotel rooms in the whole of India is around 150000 almost as in just Las Vegas.
My expeiernce in Bangalore, Due to extreme demand for good properties, its been hard to get cash rooms either.
Old Sep 11, 07, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by honr View Post
Recently, I read some stats . The number of hotel rooms in the whole of India is around 150000 almost as in just Las Vegas.
My expeiernce in Bangalore, Due to extreme demand for good properties, its been hard to get cash rooms either.
Delhi has an even more acute shortage of decent hotels and hotel rooms than Bangalore. A good number of people who intend to visit India thinking it will be a cheap tourist destination with great value on the lodging end come away shocked by the prices if not shocked by the lack of availability.

I expect Starwood to hike the award category of some more Indian hotels this coming year.
Old Sep 12, 07, 7:02 am

There's a huge difference in pricing and availability between what Indians call "the metros" (Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and, as far as hotel occupancy goes, Bangalore and Hyderabad) and other, smaller cities, even those that are popular with tourists. For example, I had no problems at all finding award rooms at the Sheraton Mughal in Agra or the Trident Hiltons in Jaipur and Udaipur earlier this year, and paid rooms at all three start from under US$100.
Old Sep 12, 07, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
I was unable to book a room with points at the Sheraton in Agra almost 300 days before a stay.
Old Nov 23, 07, 9:44 am

non-smoking?

I just found that checking non-smoking (Maurya, New Delhi) removed the awards options. I guess non-smoking isn't 'standard'? I booked anyhow, hope the room will be clean smelling.

Sylvia
Old Dec 6, 07, 2:35 am

The shift of a growing number of properties in India to only selling rooms denominated in a strengthening Indian rupee rate -- combined with even higher levels of demand/occupancy for rooms (with prices up as well) -- means that there will be some more Starwood properties in India jumping up categories. Book your SPG award reservations for rooms sooner than later to beat the upward category moves (yet again) in India.
Old Dec 6, 07, 9:06 am

Hotel rates in India are now some of the most expensive in the entire world. Metro cities are routinely hitting that 20,000 Rupees number, which translates into roughly 500 dollars after you calculate the taxes and luxury taxes.

Most hotels used to have 2 seperate rates, one for foreigners and one for local populations. The wealth in India has increased to a point that it doesn't matter who's staying; everyone is getting gouged.

At these rates, you can easily stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Raffles or Peninsula in several cities.

Can anyone suggest any alternatives in the 100-150 range?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: