Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2004, 8:20 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Taxi fare back to SZG from Hotel- 11.55 euros. IMHO this is clearly a city where taking a cab is a plus versus public transportation. The bus from SZG to hbf is around 2 euros. From there you have to take a bus or cab to the Hotel. The Hotel is located between two main roads so buses do pass. But for a savings each way of net say 8 euros the cab was much easier. Inbound buses were not even running on marathon day. Also. If you exit the Hotel bear right and make the first right walking down a main street you will see a kiosk you can book walk up half and day trips. Reservations are however suggested. This is a walking city. So you will probably not need a cab. I highly also recommend a walk in Mirabel(l) Park. Visit in gardens. All of this in your backyard at the Sheraton SZG.

SZG. Austrian Airlines runs their Arrows out of SZG. I came in from VIE and left to FRA. The airline DOES NOT have a Lounge at SZG. So arrive just to make your flight. Food is limited in the airport. I did find some values at the Duty Free shops. Once again- no Lounge.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
No airport lounge - but no delays either, its one of the quietest European airports you will ever visit! From the UK you can fly to Salzburg on Ryanair for Ł10 plus tax if you pick the right days, fantastic value. I can also recommend the Sheraton, even in a normal room. The hotels in the old town were far, far more expensive and gave the impression of having small rooms. The Sheraton (or even the Crowne Plaza opposite) are a good bet.
Old Oct 10, 2004, 1:05 pm

Will be staying at The Sheraton Salzburg in the near future,

Any Updates of Restaurant reccomendations, or must do attractions ??

Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 12:36 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Spg Gold, HH Gold, AZ Freccia Alata, Hertz Club Gold
I suggest you to try hotel Jadghof in Hof Bei Salzburg ( 20 Km at est of the city, less than 20 min with car ). It's a beautiful hotel, with a splendid SPA.
Near the hotel there is a golf course and a fantastic lake named FulschSee.
From here you can visit Salzburg and the other lakes.
If you want spend more, you can try Hotel Schloss Fulsch. It's in a splendid contest.

For booking hotel SPG site is the best I never see. If you have SPG card you have very nice prices.

I went in Salzburg for my holiday three times in the last year.
If I can help you.... I will happy to do it.

Enjoy your holidays !
Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Luftbgy
I suggest you to try hotel Jadghof in Hof Bei Salzburg ( 20 Km at est of the city, less than 20 min with car ). It's a beautiful hotel, with a splendid SPA.
Near the hotel there is a golf course and a fantastic lake named FulschSee.
From here you can visit Salzburg and the other lakes.
If you want spend more, you can try Hotel Schloss Fulsch. It's in a splendid contest.

For booking hotel SPG site is the best I never see. If you have SPG card you have very nice prices.

I went in Salzburg for my holiday three times in the last year.
If I can help you.... I will happy to do it.

Enjoy your holidays !

Luftbgy

Thanks for your reply. I am allready commited to The Sheraton Salzburg. Will be Visiting for the weekend so will only be staying in the Town. ( useing cabs)

I was really looking for any Must Go To Restaurants that need to be booked in advance , or any tours that people reccomend. I would have liked to Spend a bit more time and get a car to travel a bit out of town, but I am restricted by time.

Thanks again , and If you can reccomend any places it would be appreciated.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:49 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
If I remember correctly, isn't the Sheraton Salzburg the "crown jewel" of the Sheratons?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 4:17 pm

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum
Thumbs up You should try the hotel's restaurant - Restaurant Mirabell, really!

jchand, we were at the Salzburg Sheraton earlier this year, just before Easter. We tried the hotel restaurant, thinking that we should not expect too much, and we very EXTREMELY surprised.

The restaurant is very spacious, high ceilings, one wall with big windows next to the Mirabel park. Our stay was one day after a big concert in the city, so the hotel was not busy. They have a fixed price lunch menu for the Easter weekend, and for 20 euros, we had one of the best meal ever. Very very good service, excellent food, excellent presentation, and with the total bill including tips at less than 100 euros for three of us; compares very well with our dinner at La Pergola at the Rome Cavalieri Hilton that cost around 600 euros.

Here are some pictures:
http://www.seatexpert.com/Misc/Salzburg/1_Tea.jpg
http://www.seatexpert.com/Misc/Salzb...rted_sugar.jpg
http://www.seatexpert.com/Misc/Salzb...ead-spread.jpg
http://www.seatexpert.com/Misc/Salzb...ining_room.jpg
http://www.seatexpert.com/Misc/Salzb...nt_Goulash.jpg
http://www.seatexpert.com/Misc/Salzb...ish_entree.jpg
http://www.seatexpert.com/Misc/Salzb...Pasta_dish.jpg
http://www.seatexpert.com/Misc/Salzb...my_dessert.jpg
http://www.seatexpert.com/Misc/Salzb...ruit_plate.jpg

International airline seatmaps

Originally Posted by jchand
Luftbgy

Thanks for your reply. I am allready commited to The Sheraton Salzburg. Will be Visiting for the weekend so will only be staying in the Town. ( useing cabs)

I was really looking for any Must Go To Restaurants that need to be booked in advance , or any tours that people reccomend. I would have liked to Spend a bit more time and get a car to travel a bit out of town, but I am restricted by time.

Old Oct 11, 2004, 5:00 pm

That looks really good ^ but a friendly heads up that the dinner menu was much different and waaaaaay more than 20 euro per person two summers ago. I would ask to see the menu before being seated and then decide if it is what you are looking for and want to pay. I know that there are many varying tastes and income brackets on FT so what one considers expensive other might consider normal. Given the price of this hotel the restaurant prices were very high in comparison. Then again, they may have changed the restaurant since we were there
Old Oct 12, 2004, 2:16 am

Thanks for the Tip. May well give it a go.

In the UK Centurion Mag they had an article on a new place called the Hanger, Out near the airport I think.

Looks like the new place in town.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
We stayed there for one night in May. We arrived off of a night train at 10am, and they had already set the suite aside for us. It was a very nice two-room deal overlooking the street, and they set up the cot (there were three of us) in the living room. The staff was exceptional - for example we needed to remove any down/feather pillows because of an allergy, and housekeeping was in the room taking care of it before we even made it from the front desk to the room.

The price for a weeknight came out to about $200, but it was well worth it.

We also ate in the pub at the Hirsch, and had a very good and surprisingly inexpensive meal.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:55 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Spg Gold, HH Gold, AZ Freccia Alata, Hertz Club Gold
Originally Posted by jchand
Luftbgy

Well Done !
I can suggest you the Dinner Concert. It's a special dinner, started at 8pm with live Mozart music. I don't remember the address, but I'm sure you can find details in your hotel or seeking on internet. This resturant is the oldest of the city. If you walk in the "zentrum" ( center ) of the old city you can find a lot of good resturants. I hope you don't go to eat at McDonalds here.... The Austian cucine is very good.
You can try a delicius "Suppen" or the classical Wiener Snitzel ( I hope to have write it correct ). There are a lot of things to talk about of Salzburg.
If you have some questions, don't hesitate to contact me !

Have a nice holiday here !
Old Oct 13, 2004, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Luftbgy
Well Done !
I can suggest you the Dinner Concert. It's a special dinner, started at 8pm with live Mozart music. I don't remember the address, but I'm sure you can find details in your hotel or seeking on internet. This resturant is the oldest of the city. If you walk in the "zentrum" ( center ) of the old city you can find a lot of good resturants. I hope you don't go to eat at McDonalds here.... The Austian cucine is very good.
You can try a delicius "Suppen" or the classical Wiener Snitzel ( I hope to have write it correct ). There are a lot of things to talk about of Salzburg.
If you have some questions, don't hesitate to contact me !

Have a nice holiday here !
Luftbgy,

Thnaks again. I will try and book the Mozart Diner Concert. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

JC
Old Oct 27, 2004, 5:15 pm

Stayed at The Sheraton Salzburg this weekend. I can highly reccomend this hotel.

Upgrade to Park view Suite ( On a cheap spg 50 rate) . Very Clean & efficient hotel with very profesional service. Not a thing that you could find fault with.

I was also like to reccomend that any one visiting Salzburg has a meal at the Peters Keller. One of the oldest restaurants in the wourld ( so they say) daing back to the 800's. Great food and service and at night they have Mozart concerts in period dress.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 5:22 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Great news! I'll be there next summer.

Thanks for the report! ^
Old Dec 24, 2004, 9:32 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Can anyone comment about the NUMBER of people allowed in a room at either the Sheraton Salzburg, or the Goldener Hirsh ?

I am in the very early stages of planning for a possible ski trip to this area Dec, 2005, and have read in several threads that European hotels are strict about a 2person, maybe three person per room rule. Three of the four familes I would be traveling with have *four* (2 adults, two kids) and then my family has five (2 adults, three kids).

Do the math - if they have a strict 3person rule, then our room needs just increased 50% from 4 to 6 or maybe 7, and all of our families would be split up. Two huge negatives (splitting our families and requiring us to book two extra rooms). This "European practice" may well be the difference between not going at all and staying stateside. The poor Dollar to Euro exchange rate is already making this trip look awfully expensive, but the trip is still a year away.
Even if there is a strict 2 or 3 person per room, is this more a tacit practice that is not strictly followed ?

TIA - Comments and opinions solicited.

===========
Lurker - this is yet one more risk/concern that I will have to really dig to get confirmed, absolutely-right information, and will likely even have to call the several properties in question and take names of whomever says what. More investment of time that I don''t have to invest. This type information BEGS to be in a downloadable sortable excel spreadsheet. If such a spreadsheet had a few columns such as "ski" (yes or no), # of people max per room", "ski in/ski out", distance from airport, and so forth...would be an invaluable tool.

The spg web site just does not cut it and my time is valuable as is most travelers on this board. Does spg not have the vision that to make detailed information available to travelers *absolutely* induces travelers to take more chances and risks and reduces the fear of the unknown ? I am about to rule out an extensive international trip for 7+ nights for four familes (28+ room nights)...merely because I don't feel comfortable knowing these simple information data points about starwood's international properties. Shouldn't be this tough for a hotel management company to make this information widely available in an easy-to-obtain format.

Last edited by ILUVCITIBANK; Dec 25, 2004 at 9:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.