Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Old Apr 15, 2003, 8:43 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
The Hotel replied. The tickets for next day travel can be arranged upon arrival. First Class is 88.90 euros and Second Class is 56.90 euros. Non-smoking is available in both classes. FYI
Old Feb 7, 2004, 10:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Salzburg, Austria

My family will be staying in Salzburg for 3 nights, later this month. I understand that the Startwood hotel in and near the city are quite good.

What is the best way of booking, either through a travel agent, or through Starwood directly (I am a little shy about booking through a discount hotel search engine/web site)- either on the phone, or on its web site - to get the best value?

Right now, as a tier member of Air Canada's Aeroplan FF plan - I am able to enjoy a special promo whereby the code gives customers 50% off the "full retail rate".

What are the thoughts of the FT community in terms of these hotels - I think we prefer staying outside of downtown, perhaps a lake, base of mountain etc - assuming that it is easy enough to get to downtown, without using a car rental (ie complimentary hotel shuttle?).

[This message has been edited by FlyerGoldII (edited Feb 07, 2004).]
Old Feb 7, 2004, 3:09 pm

All three Starwoods (Goldener Hirsch, Hotel Jagdhof, Schloss Fuschl) are very nice.
There is also a Sheraton, which I have not seen.
The two outside hotels (at Fuschl See) are a little far, about 30 min or so by car.
But beautiful scenery ...
Where to book? Try Starwood and some "discount" websites: Expedia, HRS.com ...
Your family will like it ...Salzburg is great. BTW, not far from Fuschl See is Wolfgang See, worth a trip.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 7:24 pm

I have a friend who has stayed numerous times at the Goldener Hirsch and loves it. It's very well situated in the old city. Based on her tastes, I would recommend it highly.

Meanwhile, eat dinner at the Goldener Hirsch restaurant for sure. They have a very famous dessert that you have to order when you start your meal so it will be ready for you.

Have a great trip.
Rita

Old Feb 7, 2004, 8:56 pm

We stayed at the Sheraton Salzburg Hotel this past summer and had a wonderful time. It's about a 15 minute walk to the inner city and just 3 blocks (or so) from the city centre where you find Mozart's house etc...).

As a Plat we were upgraded to a room overlooking the park (the opposite side to the web site photos) which was set so far back that it had a doorbell It was King bed with a sitting room. Upon arrival we had a bottle of champagne chilling in our room along with a giant fruit plate which they refilled the the the 3rd day. We were on points and my MIL was upgraded to the a club room beside us for 100 Euro/night rate. We were treated very well by the staff here.

The restaurant was VERY expensive. They had a limited menu for the bar so you can make do for one night but you might want to wander out for dinner anyways to really take in the "city's feel". You won't need a car if you stay here as you are really right in the middle of everything.

We almost stayed at the Goldener Hirsh but chose this as it was 10k points per night and my MIL was paying for her room here and it was cheaper by far.

edited to remove a giant link that didn't work

[This message has been edited by cattle (edited Feb 08, 2004).]
Old Feb 8, 2004, 1:13 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I stayed there and they upgraded to a nice suite. Its a beautiful old hotel and in a great location. Close to Mozart's birthplace. Please don't eat at the resteraunt in the hotel, it is nothing special at all.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 7:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cattle:
The restaurant was VERY expensive.
</font>
Goldener Hirsch has two restaurants. Restaurant Herzl is also good and not expensive.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
The Restaurant Goldener Hirsch, with its Austrian and International specialties, is Salzburg's most exclusive dining venue. Herzl offers local specialties in a more relaxed, rustic atmosphere.</font>
Herzl = German/Austrian for heart!

My favorite Restaurant in Salzburg is Brandstätter (one Michelin star!). It is also a small hotel; at a remote location - you need a car.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 9:05 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
I would recommend the newly renovtaed Jagdhof, which is about 15 minutes by car. They upgraded us to a huge suite there !
Old Feb 27, 2004, 4:03 am

Dose any one know if the Sheraton Salzburg Hotel has a club lounge ???
Old Feb 27, 2004, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Stayed at the Salzburg Sheraton last Oct. I wrote a review on tripadvisor.com so won't repeat it here. In summary, big rooms (far bigger than you'd get in the old town) and cheap. Biggest problem was how empty it was! In general, however, I recommend it.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 8:45 am

If any one else is interested, I just found out that there is no club lounge at the Sheraton Salzburg.

I e-mailed the hotel and had an awnser within the hour. Good customer service.
Old Feb 27, 2004, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat; PC Plat; Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
We stayed at the Schloss Fuschl last summer. Wonderful location for the property, and the Platinum amenities were very generous (included a half bottle of champagne, and a fruit plate). However, these advantages were very much offset by the truly tiny room we were placed in.

Also, the stay was memorable in that the Mrs was utterly dismayed when we came across a snake attempting furiously to crawl into the sauna on a visit to the Spa.
It may still be there, so if you decide to stay there, step carefully into the sauna. ;-)
Old Feb 29, 2004, 3:04 am

Last year we stayed at the Radisson Alstadt. Located in old town, this small hotel is truly an undiscovered gem in Salzburg. Don't usually stay at Radissons, but made an exception here and am really glad we did. Large newly refurbished rooms, great staff and service, wonderful location, low rates compared to other properties in old town, and a fabulous breakfast buffet. If you are looking for a small, intimate historic type of hotel with a great location and very good rates, this is one to consider.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Sheraton Salzburg FLAWLESS mini report & transport from SZG 4/25/04

Arrived into SZG from VIE on Austrian/Tyrolean. Don´t expect much on this flight or SZG. Arrive into SZG on tarmack to rain/drizzle and a walk to the terminal. From SZG I took a cab since today parts of the city were closed for a marathon. The driver got me to the Hotel. Not cheap. You can also take a bus from SZG which the pick-up spot is by the parking garage. It takes to you the hbf. From there others have suggested a bus towards the river or you can cab it. I noted the station and it would be a serious walk with luggage to the Hotel.

I prepaid for this stay. It was available using cash and points. I knew ahead of time on spg.com that I had a upgrade to a junior suite. Frommers describes this Hotel as a jewel in the Sheraton folio. It is. Warmly greeted upon arrival. Upgraded to non-smoke, junior suite with king bed facing park. Perfect. High floor number five of six. Offered amenity. The card does NOT have the point option. So I am stuck picking 10 euros of mini bar stuff. Just what I need to be carrying back.

The Hotel and room is spotless in every sense of the word. Nothing out of place. The junior suite is a good size. It wraps around the stairwell. So a long hall takes you past your toilet/bathroom. Great wall coverings. The living area opens to note two large windows facing the park. The living room area and bed area are separated by a mini-bar, tv cradenza which allows the tv to shift towards the bed area also. The bathroom is large with floor to ceiling tile. Nice tub. The view onto the park is nice.

From this location you are a very short nice walk to the old city. I enjoyed a morning and afternoon there. Returned for dinner. It is a Sunday so I found no retail shops open. I highly recommend this Hotel. I perfect stay so far. Turndown service. Chocolate and fresh roses for the bathroom. Internet is dial-up like in VIE. 14 cents per minute. Regards from SZG.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 5:04 pm

Great Hotel ^ We stayed last summer and had the same upgrade. Park view really is lovely. Others should also know that it has Air Conditioning in the rooms for the summer as well as swing out windows. Love the doorbell

The location really is great. It really is a nice walk along the river to the old city. I would also recomend to people staying here that you walk up the street to the Crown Plaza and have dinner in the courtyard (weather permitting) as it is really good food and the waitress tolld us it's the same menu but much cheaper outside for some reason. The staff at the Sheraton front desk told us about it. Just goes to show how they really are concerned about enjoying your stay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.