Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Getting walked: what should happen for a platinum or gold member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG Turnaway Policy

As per #304:

The turnaway policy for elites do apply at Design hotels but there are a couple of crucial points to note:

Elite members who are walked from Design Hotels properties will receive Starpoints for the portion of the stay that they were walked, but they will not receive additional Starpoints equivalent to the cost of a Free Night Award. No goodwill gesture points will be offered as well.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Getting walked: what should happen for a platinum or gold member

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I have a reservation at the Element Bali that just informed me they won't be opening this week.

What you think is my recourse here? Apart from the fact that the hotel isn't answering to emails anymore and SPG Platinum Concierge refuses to do anything.
Escalate! I'm surprised PC is refusing to help. What are they saying? There should be at least some effort to relocate guests that have confirmed reservations. A Marriott property tried this a while back with a friend and he ended up with his entire week comped by corporate at a neighboring non-MR property. It took a bit of push back, but I would not expect a free stay, but at least help in finding something acceptable.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Escalate! I'm surprised PC is refusing to help. What are they saying? There should be at least some effort to relocate guests that have confirmed reservations. A Marriott property tried this a while back with a friend and he ended up with his entire week comped by corporate at a neighboring non-MR property. It took a bit of push back, but I would not expect a free stay, but at least help in finding something acceptable.
I quote "The telephone line is dead, the number must be either wrong or inactive. You should look for a local alternative and enjoy your holiday. Any compensation regarding this has to come from the hotel."

The GM got back to me after I semi figured out his email (Marriott one) and now offered to stay even though the property isn't open yet. As a 'trial guest' which I'm personally fine with as I'm not too much into the other alternative, staying at the Tribute Portfolio in Ubud. I think it might still be a nice hotel but the location doesn't work for me based on the map. Maybe I swing by there and have a look anyhow. Based on my contact with the guy it seems like an honest mistake but it should never be communicated the way the hotel did it, especially just two days prior.

The online chat and especially the representative 'Danielle C' were useless garbage. Not that the hotline was much better but this person shouldn't be in front line CS. I was upset before yes but this interaction made me literally angry.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Kimpton Inner Circle, Hertz PC
Walked at Sharaton Lake Como - No Compensation

I was recently walked at the Sheraton Lake Como and forced to go to the Westin in Milan. This was quite a big inconvenience, and I did not receive any additional compensation. Does the SPG walk policy for platinum members still exist? I tried to contact support with web chat and the agent I spoke with said that the policy did not exist.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by BluHorseshoe
I was recently walked at the Sheraton Lake Como and forced to go to the Westin in Milan. This was quite a big inconvenience, and I did not receive any additional compensation. Does the SPG walk policy for platinum members still exist? I tried to contact support with web chat and the agent I spoke with said that the policy did not exist.
Poor showing for web chat.

I would suggest send your stay info to the Lurkers and ask them to forward to the appropriate department.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Poor showing for web chat.

I would suggest send your stay info to the Lurkers and ask them to forward to the appropriate department.
Agreed.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Wonder how will this be handled come August 1st.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Wonder how will this be handled come August 1st.
Marriott has a clear policy. A couple people have reported issues like the hotel to which they were moved was too far away, but for the most part Marriott handles walks well and avoids walking elites because it is more expensive than walking kettles. In well over one thousand stays I was walked once, IIRC near the Louisville airport. I was in a CY. When i got there around midnight they told me I was being walked to the SHS. As my blood started boiling the clerk pointed to the SHS across the parking lot. And she had already called the SHS so they would make sure my room was feather free. I got paid to walk across the parking lot and my night was free to boot. The clerk told me that when they have to walk someone to the SHS they look for an elite on a one night stay because they are usually happy to move.

I once got walked at a Fort Wayne HI. That was a nightmare.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
I will say I have always liked Marriotts walking policy a little better than SPG. Not that SPGs was bad, but I have always thought the Marriott policy was more straightforward and rewarding to inconvenienced elite member.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Kimpton Inner Circle, Hertz PC
The lurkers were able to help my resolve the issue - big thanks to them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.