Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Has anyone stayed at the Dusit Thani recently? They are having a sale on rates when I'm going to Bangkok. I almost exclusively have stayed Starwood when in Bangkok - but Starwood rates have crept upward and you pay a premium for rates with late cancellation policies while the Dusit Thani is 1/2 their price and I can cancel day before. Worthy hotel? (No need to describe locale - I'm quite familiar with Bangkok). Just want to know about hotel, pool, gym, breakfast, etc.
Closing of the Dusit is the end of an era. 35 years ago it was one of the smartest hotels in town ( along with the Montien, the Ambassador on Soi 11, the old Sheraton ( now the Tawanna Ramada) and the original Hilton.
They have been threatening to close for years; the land is worth zillions.

I'm a bit tempted to try a Marriott but ,like SPG , each property seems to have very loyal following and it's a bit hard to to choose.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Bamboo Chic as a bar.
It is, indeed. Sorry, I meant Latest Recipe.

Originally Posted by paolo64
SGS never worked for me and I can't see why people pay a premium for it. ... But other people seem to enjoy it ( probably those who have a history there, I guess). It's understandable that hotels give priority to frequent/returning guests.
They didn't know me the first time I stayed there (in 2006); and it was the way that they treated me the first time that caused my to go back for second (and subsequent) visits.
ThomasBrown and EuropeanPete like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I almost exclusively have stayed Starwood when in Bangkok - but Starwood rates have crept upward...
I also find SPG hotels rates in Bangkok to generally be very uncompetitive vs competitors (particularly Hilton and Accor), the only exceptions being the Royal Orchid Sheraton, and perhaps St Regis. W's rates are okay but I always find Sofitel So, which is also very cool, to undercut its rates.

I suppose it's only worth it to pay these rates if you're SPG platinum.

Last edited by FGunawan; May 21, 2018 at 6:03 pm
Old May 21, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by FGunawan
I also find SPG hotels rates in Bangkok to generally be very uncompetitive vs competitors (particularly Hilton and Accor), the only exceptions being the Royal Orchid Sheraton, and perhaps St Regis. W's rates are okay but I always find Sofitel So, which is also very cool, to undercut its rates.
I suppose it's only worth it to pay these rates if you're SPG platinum.
Completely agree. For an unknown reason to me, SPG properties in Thailand are extremely overpriced, both compared to local competition (IHG, Accor and even Marriott) and SPG own rates in South East Asia (Malaysia and Indonesia).
Old May 21, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Completely agree. For an unknown reason to me, SPG properties in Thailand are extremely overpriced, both compared to local competition (IHG, Accor and even Marriott) and SPG own rates in South East Asia (Malaysia and Indonesia).
It is why you can almost always find good BRG opportunities.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I haven't been able to find any in Bangkok in months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:05 am

I assume this is a huge exaggeration. I have been able to find couple of BRGs for Bangkok and could get couple of more (BRG team been slow, rates were gone), but overall I have found it extremely difficult.
At the same time, I have had many successful BRGs in Indonesia and Malaysia, even in Japan.
Old May 22, 2018, 4:12 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
They have been higher for some time, but I've noticed recent reductions, maybe off season rates, but I see all the BKK chains similarly priced, except the HI Silom at 1500++ many days. I had recently had the Aloft for 2050++ and just did a staycation at the ROS for 2530++, UPG'd to a suite, which I thought were decent rates considering that the ROS included lounge (I forgot my long pants though so we went out instead,) and full breakfast downstairs. Plus, the LM Chiang Rai has been US$61 lately, whcih is even less that some of the low priced KL SPG properties. Plus, the Marriotts in Mai Khao area of Phuket are great values, even compared to the older Holiday Inn Resort we usually stay at. Especially once you add the cost of breakfast at the HIR. In Bangkok, the IC and GH are generally the same price as SGS, and I only preferred the IC when I was RA.
I haven't had any luck with BRG at BKK proeprties, but at these prices I can't complain.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I haven't been able to find any in Bangkok in months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have to agree. BKK used to be a veritable smorgasbord of BRGs. I would go through all the hotels, estimate the BRG rate, then decide which one I wanted to stay at that particular time. Not any more! I have to settle for the one where I might get a BRG approved.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
They have been higher for some time, but I've noticed recent reductions, maybe off season rates, but I see all the BKK chains similarly priced, except the HI Silom at 1500++ many days. I had recently had the Aloft for 2050++ and just did a staycation at the ROS for 2530++, UPG'd to a suite, which I thought were decent rates considering that the ROS included lounge (I forgot my long pants though so we went out instead,) and full breakfast downstairs. Plus, the LM Chiang Rai has been US$61 lately, whcih is even less that some of the low priced KL SPG properties.
Aloft prices are okay, but from reviews of it I have an impression I rather stay at HIE across the road. 1400–1600 THB rates, modern and clean hotel. Or in HI Silom, which is likely just a better hotel. Anyway, in Aloft there are no status benefits, so I see little point to pay more (unless there is a BRG, of course, but I never succeeded with it for Aloft).
For ROS, I have seen such price couple of times, but usually it's about 3000 THB. Perhaps a good value still, but location is away from anything. I have a stay there in August (with BRG), so gonna check it then.

As for LM Changrai, I don't think it is fair to compare LM in a middle of nowhere to SPG hotels in KL
Old May 22, 2018, 8:11 am

Thumbs up

I assume this is a huge exaggeration. I have been able to find couple of BRGs for Bangkok and could get couple of more (BRG team been slow, rates were gone), but overall I have found it extremely difficult.
At the same time, I have had many successful BRGs in Indonesia and Malaysia, even in Japan.
I havent been to BKK for 8 months. Then I BRGd the Aloft and ROS. Apart from one trip to burn points I have always found a BRG over the previous 5 years except a couple of overnighters at Aloft. If the pricing seems expensive then they are probably selling discount inventory somewhere.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:03 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Aloft prices are okay, but from reviews of it I have an impression I rather stay at HIE across the road. 1400–1600 THB rates, modern and clean hotel. Or in HI Silom, which is likely just a better hotel. Anyway, in Aloft there are no status benefits, so I see little point to pay more (unless there is a BRG, of course, but I never succeeded with it for Aloft).
For ROS, I have seen such price couple of times, but usually it's about 3000 THB. Perhaps a good value still, but location is away from anything. I have a stay there in August (with BRG), so gonna check it then.

As for LM Changrai, I don't think it is fair to compare LM in a middle of nowhere to SPG hotels in KL
I've stayed, frequently, at both the Aloft and HIX Suk 11, plus the HI SIlom. You get what you pay for at the HIX: rooms are tiny, small beds,, and poor wifi and tv and poor breakfast. The HI Silom can be good, though they always want to upcharge for lounge, river view rooms unless you really make an issue of not looking at a tower next door and no free breakfasts. Aloft has been good for giving me the better view rooms, though sometimes when they're full, I've looked at the tower next door. Breakfast is decent and as PLT I'm only giving up 250 pts for 2. The ROS is actually quite nice and the location grows on you. The boat shuttle to the bridge for the Saphan Taksin BTS and Asiatique shuttle as well as a nearby Pier No 3 for the Hop on Hop Off, gets you around easily. At River City Mall, there is the cross river ferry to the Hilton.

Chiang Rai is about the same flight time from BKK as KL, and I find it more interesting than the big city, especially with a car. Plus, we have friends that live there.
It's not in the middle of nowhere; it's north of there.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: QR Gold / M&M FTL / Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
In about 5 travel, I got some BRG for Bkk

Aloft (Many times, I use it as buffering between flight to Europe)
W
Ros
Le Meridien
SGS (hard to find)

For new year I got st regis and four point accepted.

Last edited by GalaxyChris; May 22, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Old May 22, 2018, 9:15 pm
Suspended

What about between Athenee and StR — which property ?
Old May 22, 2018, 11:57 pm

Do you want a butler, if yes go with StR. Otherwise its more a question of taste and pricing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.