Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Munich, Germany, which hotel? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by VPescado
Take the S8 (if I recall correctly it is slightly faster than the S1 to the city center) to either Marienplatz or Karlsplatz and transfer to either the U4 or U5 (go in the Westend/Laimerplatz direction) get off at Heimeranplatz.

Don't take an escalator. Find the elevator that is on the U-bahn platform (it will be towards the direction the train was coming from). Take it to the street level and you will find yourself right in front of the hotel - and I mean *right* in front....like less than 10 meters to the front door.

Also if you do not have a lot of luggage and you are tired of sitting, you may wish to exit at Marenplatz and take a very nice stroll to the West to Karlsplatz station to get on the U-bahn.

Have a great trip!!!!
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I am sure I will have a good trip as it appears to be a nice hotel and got a rate of $220euro for three days all in with the buy two get one free deal.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 7:44 pm

Direction to Sheraton Munich Arabellapark Hotel

Is the Sheration Munich Arabellapark Hotel close to any subway station? I will be arriving at the MUC airport. I don't mind walking 15-20 minutes if there is a station close by. Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:19 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Originally Posted by qplazm1982
Is the Sheration Munich Arabellapark Hotel close to any subway station? I will be arriving at the MUC airport. I don't mind walking 15-20 minutes if there is a station close by. Thanks!
Yes, U4 station "Arabellapark" is close by (5-10min walk).

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/web4archi...nnetz_2009.pdf
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I am at the Sheraton Westpark now (typing this form the lounge as a matter of fact), here are my thoughts on the place.

Location is ok as you have the S7, U4 and U5 Heimeranplatz station right at your doorstep. There really is not a lot in the immediate area around the hotel though, ate least not that I noticed. It did not matter to us so much, we just got a partner single day ticket for 9Euro and was good to go. Great weather this weekend. By the way, I had all intentions of taking the directions listed above from the airport but we missed our stop to transfer to the U4/U5 as we fell asleep. Luckily we were able to just get off at Donnersbergerbrucke and take the S7 to the hotel and really didn't lose any time. We got a partner all zones ticket for 18Euro at the airport.

Check in and all front desk staff was great. Standard plat amenity and took the points as usual. They did not have a US power adapter though. Plenty of UK adapters. I had planned to get one anyway to add to my travel kit as I surprisingly did not have one for here but needed on in the mean but they did not have one. I reckon my fellow Americans ended up walking away with them.

I did not get a suite upgrade. I actually didnt even ask but it appears by the room map that they might not have many suites here. The room we got was fine with updated modern decor and pretty comfortable overall. I do not think there is much view to be had here so any room is fine. Some may not like the trains running behind the hotel but I like noise when I sleep so not a problem for us. The only problems I had with the room was the half shower door that a lot of hotels are using these days (water on the floor) and the wall air conditioner control seemed to not do a thing. It was a bit warm in the room but luckily opening the window did the trick. I dont know that I would like it if it was really hot out.

Club lounge was pretty good I think. It is not huge but it was also never crowded. For breakfast they had the standard European lounge foods including yogurt, muesli, breads, cold cuts, cheeses, salmon and fruits but also had a small hot section of sausages, bacon and eggs. German sparkling wine was also available in the morning. Nice coffee machine. The lounge is attended by someone cleaning up but not a full time person that handles other details like check in and check out etc. There is also usually only someone there full time in the morning and the evenings. During the day and Sunday evenings someone just pops in about every hour or so to freshen up the items. German wine (white riesling, red and sparkling), German beer (Paulaner and Fueftenberg) and soft drinks are offered all day, not just happy hour. There is also a decent selection of food in the evening. The lounge is accessed by your room key and is open till 11PM every day and opens at 8AM on the weekends and 6:30AM on the weekdays.

We did have dinner at the hotel restaurant as we where too tired to go out and found the service to be great but the selection to be "so so". We just ended up having pasta arabiata and bolognese which cost about 12.50Euro each. I think the bar might have more standard bar food etc but honestly there was nobody there except one brief period on Saturday when there was a Munich team playing football. The bar was not a lively place.....maybe it is different during the work week. I would try to go out for dinner if possible.

They have an agreement with a nearby workout facility but there is a fee so I did not use that but they do have a pool on the 3rd floor if that works in your workout routine. I did not see the pool but it was listed in in-room guide.

I paid 220 Euro total including taxes for three nights using a buy 2 get one rate. I think I got great value. This is my first trip to Munich so there may be better SPG hotels but I am very happy with my choice. Also, on my rate is included 12hours free internet which was pretty good. I ended up using the internet in the lounge (which is wired only by the way) but the front desk person told me that is 12 hours per day in room internet not per stay so that is really pretty good.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by mcgahat
German wine (white riesling, red and sparkling)
That is new, normally they offer ( base ) Blaauwklippen Wines ( Landau Range ) and italian prosecco.

Blaauwklippen Wines are coming from southafrica! Since 1999 belongs this vineyard to the Arabella group and the Arabella group is the owner of the ArabellaSheraton Westpark...

surprise surprise...

BTW: Have a look at the "huge" pool
Old May 19, 2009, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EP
Sheraton Westpark

FYI- There is free wireless internet in the lobby of the Sheraton Westpark. There is free internet in the club lounge as well- but its only through the two computers they have in the little office (no wifi).

The rooms have wifi for a charge (expensive).

I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend at this hotel. I was very happy I chose this over the Le Meridien... the lounge is excellent and the staff is more than willing to help you however they can.

My only negative- there is no gym. Within a 3 minute walk there is a facility offering cardio machines (for a fee). Within a 10 minute walk there is a gym that has free weights and machines for strength training. There is a 15 euro per visit charge. This is the previously mentioned 'deal' the hotel has with other facilities.

They put Toblerone chocolates next to your bed every day... soo good.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:37 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
"New" Westin Grand vs. LM...

I've stayed at the Arabella Grand Sheraton before and because of a room issue was upgraded to the towers section (non-status at the time). I liked the room, wasn't a huge fan of the location, loved the breakfast downstairs, but overall wasn't terribly impressed (the Hilton Munchen City is my favorite chain hotel with the Eden Hotel Wolff being my favorite overall hotel in Munich).

I've got a choice for an upcoming free night between the now-Westinized Arabella Grand or the Le Meridien. I'm taking my Mom, and she won't like the commute to the Westin. As a Westin (and newly remodeled to boot), would it be nicer than the LM?

I've never stayed at the LM before either - in Munich I've stayed at both Hiltons, the Eden Hotel Wolff, and a variety of other independent properties spread near the Hbf, along with the Kempinski at the airport and the Sheraton Munich Airport.

Give the following criteria (in basically priority order), what SPG property would you recommend:
Convenience to Marienplatz/Karlsplatz/Hbf (or more generally u/s-bahn)
Platinum Amenities (arrival amenity/food/drink/Internet/etc.)
Lounge (Friday night/Saturday)
Upgrade Possibility (unlikely, since I'll be requesting a two-bed room or take a roll-away)

I have no idea how the "new" Westin will differ from the "old" Arabella Grand Sheraton, other than I presume the complaints about no upgrades to towers rooms will be a thing of the past since the Westin doesn't differentiate (or does it?). Would it then be fair to assume no more free Internet at the Westin?

Thanks in advance for any expert guidance!

Sean
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by vysean
Give the following criteria (in basically priority order), what SPG property would you recommend:
Convenience to Marienplatz/Karlsplatz/Hbf (or more generally u/s-bahn)
Platinum Amenities (arrival amenity/food/drink/Internet/etc.)
Lounge (Friday night/Saturday)
Upgrade Possibility (unlikely, since I'll be requesting a two-bed room or take a roll-away)
My subjective order:
  • Convenience to Marienplatz/Karlsplatz/Hbf: 1) Le Meridien, 2) Westpark, 3) Westin and Sheraton Bogenhausen
  • Platinum Amenities: 1) Westpark, 2) Le Meridien, Westin and Sheraton Bogenhausen
  • Lounge: here you should check if the lounge has open during the time you stay 1) Westpark 2) Sheraton Bogenhausen 3) Westin (lounge and offerings in the lounge are very nice but "problem" with separate tower section) 4) Le Meridien has no lounge
  • Upgrade Possibility: 1) Westpark 2) Le Meridien 3) Sheraton Bogenhausen 4) Westin
In general, Westpark is my favourite though it is more basic compared to the other hotels. Westin and Le Meridien are much more luxurious.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LH738
In general, Westpark is my favourite though it is more basic compared to the other hotels. Westin and Le Meridien are much more luxurious.
Same for me! Westpark is really a superb hotel in the Munich area.
And the local train-station (s-bahn) as well subway station brings you to the city center within 5-10 Mins.

But one big pro for the Le Meridien is the wellness/fitness area...
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Sheraton Arabellapark

Mr Rani and I will be in Munich tomorrow for a stay of two days. Earlier in July we stayed at the Westin Arabellapark for two days and were very pleased except for one thing - the fitness center is under renovation until the end of august and they had moved the cardio machines in to a shipping container! So, given the summer heat - not possible to work out.

Can anyone comment on the Sheraton Arabellapark's facility? We are traveling with a car and think its not really practical to go to the Meridien.

Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Priority Club Gold
LM vs Westin vs Others

Does anyone have any current information about the relative merits of Le Meridien vs Westin vs any other SPG properties in Munich, when one cannot consider platinum upgrades/amenities?

I'll be going to Munich on business from 1-4 October, which just happens to coincide with the last weekend of Oktoberfest.

Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:49 am

It may depend on what you want, luxury or convenience.

The Westpark, although not luxurious, is a very nice "business" hotel. It is in a quiet area, and sits right atop a stop on the U-bahn, two (if I recall correctly) stops from the venue for the Oktoberfest, and three (one further) stop from the main train station (Hauptbahnhof).

The LM is located right across the street from the Hauptbahnhof, and can be a bit noisy. However, you can catch U-bahns and S-bahns in the Hauptbahnhof to anywhere in the city. (And, it is one stop on the U-Bahn from the Oktoberfest grounds.)

Depending on where your business meetings are being held, that might be your best bet.

By the way, since it is the final weekend of Oktoberfest, you may not have much choice in hotels, and what is available will be expensive!
Old Aug 29, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
+1 for Le Meridien.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 1:18 am

A summary of the properties in Munich including my subjective ranking:

Platinum recognition: 1) Westpark 2) Four Points Central, Le Méridien and Sheraton Arabellapark 3) Westin Grand
Lounge: 1) Westin Grand 2) Westpark 3) Sheraton Arabellapark (Le Méridien and Four Points Central have no lounge)
Spa: 1) Westin Grand 2) Le Méridien 3) Sheraton Arabellapark 4) Westpark
Access to main station and Marienplatz: 1.) Le Méridien 2) Four Points Central and Westpark 3) Westin Grand and Sheraton Arabellapark
Luxury: 1) Westin Grand 2) Le Méridien 3) Sheraton Arabellapark 4) Westpark 5) Four Points Central

I have not yet stayed in the Four Points Olympiapark - therefore this property is missing in the above comparision.
The Sheraton Munich Airport Hotel is located near the airport Munich and not convenient for stays within Munich. The hotel is ok for stays with early departure or late arrival.

The Westin Grand Munich Arabellapark
Pictures from my stay
+ Great SPA.
+ Good access to public transport.
+ Nice lounge with excellent food.
- Status recognition could be better concerning upgrades (this stay was excellent though suite upgrades can be a challenge).

Le Méridien Munich
Pictures from my stay
+ Excellent Platinum recognition.
+ Nice Spa.
+ Good location with access to public transport.
- No lounge.

Sheraton Munich Arabellapark Hotel
Pictures from my stay
+ Good Platinum recognition (Platinum recognition improved a lot over the last years).
+ Nice SPA.
+ Good lounge.
- Lounge has limited opening hours during weekends and public holidays.

Sheraton Munich Westpark Hotel
Pictures from my stay
+ Nice lounge with good beverages and food.
- Public areas start to get a bit dated.

Four Points by Sheraton Munich Central
Pictures from my stay
+ Room was rather large.
+ Good SPG Platinum recognition.
- No lounge.
- Rooms start to get dated.

Sheraton Munich Airport Hotel
Pictures from my stay
+ Room was rather large.
+ Good SPG Platinum recognition.
- No lounge.
- Shuttle service needed to get there (around 10min).
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:17 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by LH738
A summary of the properties in Munich including my subjective ranking:

Platinum recognition: 1) Westpark 2) Four Points Central, Le Méridien and Sheraton Arabellapark 3) Westin Grand
Lounge: 1) Westin Grand 2) Westpark 3) Sheraton Arabellapark (Le Méridien and Four Points Central have no lounge)
Spa: 1) Westin Grand 2) Le Méridien 3) Sheraton Arabellapark 4) Westpark
Access to main station and Marienplatz: 1.) Le Méridien 2) Four Points Central and Westpark 3) Westin Grand and Sheraton Arabellapark
Luxury: 1) Westin Grand 2) Le Méridien 3) Sheraton Arabellapark 4) Westpark 5) Four Points Central
Fantastic! We have enough Starwood properties in Munich that we were in great need of that summary. It's really helpful how you have gone thru the various issues that matter to guests. Thank you for putting a lot of time and thought into this. It will be very useful for many of us.

Do you still have to pay for the shuttle to the Sheraton Munich Airport Hotel? It has been at least two years since I stayed there, but I was quite surprised at the 8 euro cost for their shuttle one way. Their prices often look appealing til that is added in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.