Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Moana Surfrider, Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by happymommy
Oops - I meant that at the Ritz (we always pay for club level, I know it's not complimentary based on status) we can ask for a beer or glass of wine any time the lounge is open I know they offer wine at the cocktail hour, just didn't know what the hours are that you can get a glass of wine in the lounge. When we eat lunch on the patio outside, I order wine (which to me is better than what they serve in the lounge).
There is a huge difference between the Ritz or Four Seans and the Mona especially these days.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by happymommy
I've stayed here many, many times over the last 22 years (we lived on Oahu back then, and used to stay the weekend sometimes). I have a 5 night stay booked next spring on points, husband is lifetime platinum. Last summer he stayed a couple nights here, so was familiar with the lounge. I know they offer wine in the evenings, but is it available ONLY in the evenings? I like a glass at lunch on vacation. I'm guessing it's not like the Ritz, where you can request a glass outside of cocktail hour.
You cannot get alcoholic beverages outside of happy hours. The lounge is deserted. But they do have a popcorn machine during the day. Can the Ritz top that?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
You cannot get alcoholic beverages outside of happy hours. The lounge is deserted. But they do have a popcorn machine during the day. Can the Ritz top that?

Damn "popcorn" ? "Be still my beating heart"

Anyone have a recent stay at the Mona ?
margarita girl likes this.

Last edited by edgewood49; Jun 8, 2018 at 6:01 pm Reason: add on
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
And fruit, granola bars, coffee, water bottles, and self-serve fountain soda pop.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Anyone have a recent stay at the Mona ?
February 2018.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
February 2018.
Thanks saw that just asking
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Any recent reviews?

Will be at Westin Moana in three weeks. Any recent reports on how plats are being treated, breakfast, upgrades, etc?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I go 3-4 times/yr, most recently Oct 2017, and Feb and Apr 2018. Plat breakfast is in the lounge which is decent with 3 hot options.

Plat upgrade is usually to a tower room. I use SNAs every single time I stay there and my suite upgrade success is less than 50% as they only have 3 suites in the SNA pool. But the tower rooms are quite nice as they have balconies which the banyan rooms don’t.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Will be at Westin Moana in three weeks. Any recent reports on how plats are being treated, breakfast, upgrades, etc?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29408111-post647.html

February 2018.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:32 am
Suspended

I go 3-4 times/yr, most recently Oct 2017, and Feb and Apr 2018. Plat breakfast is in the lounge which is decent with 3 hot options.

Plat upgrade is usually to a tower room. I use SNAs every single time I stay there and my suite upgrade success is less than 50% as they only have 3 suites in the SNA pool. But the tower rooms are quite nice as they have balconies which the banyan rooms don’t.
There's something about staying in the historic section -- I love old hotels -- but after you do it you realize the tower wing is better if only because the rooms are much bigger and have better views. Plus, it's not like the old rooms have a historic decor with period fittings.

I was also surprised by how private the balcony (lanai) is compared with other hotels, where you can see your neighbors.

Personally, I really wish the tower would go back to being its own hotel. That's how it used to be. The different sections are completely different from each other and don't really fit together. More importantly, there are too many guests for the ridiculously small pool and the rather limited number of pool deck chairs and beach chairs.

Hopefully, the tower is renovated soon as the rooms -- particularly the bathroom -- need an updating. Everything is clean and reasonably well-maintained, but sterile and it looks circa 2007.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
There's something about staying in the historic section -- I love old hotels -- but after you do it you realize the tower wing is better if only because the rooms are much bigger and have better views. Plus, it's not like the old rooms have a historic decor with period fittings.

I was also surprised by how private the balcony (lanai) is compared with other hotels, where you can see your neighbors.

Personally, I really wish the tower would go back to being its own hotel. That's how it used to be. The different sections are completely different from each other and don't really fit together. More importantly, there are too many guests for the ridiculously small pool and the rather limited number of pool deck chairs and beach chairs.

Hopefully, the tower is renovated soon as the rooms -- particularly the bathroom -- need an updating. Everything is clean and reasonably well-maintained, but sterile and it looks circa 2007.

There is something to be said for the older more "traditional Hawaiian hotel rooms" If one likes that than the Pink Palace is the place to be. Which is interesting in the forty years I have been going never once stayed there.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:19 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

"Usual" Platinum upgrades in October, February and April are probably different than in July.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
"Usual" Platinum upgrades in October, February and April are probably different than in July.

Has anyone heard how the renovations are going next door at the Sheraton ?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Has anyone heard how the renovations are going next door at the Sheraton ?
I believe they won’t start until Sept or Oct.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:45 pm

I believe they won’t start until Sept or Oct.
It amazes me that their waiting until the heavy season begins. In days of old work commenced right after Easter through September 1st. Oh well looks like "across the street" for New Years !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.