Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Pres Club, Starwood Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by randys1
thanks youndga5, i think i will cancel my resv and move to Grand Wailea...
Ditto, I can't imagine how my points + cash booking will be treated!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by loopies
Ditto, I can't imagine how my points + cash booking will be treated!
If they treated a Plat on a full revenue premium view room rate that way, you probably can imagine how you'd be treated.

I thought this property was a franchisee, but in another thread, I learned it is corporate owned - there is no excuse for how this property is being run or the wild and uneven customer "service" delivery.

Book elsewhere until Starwood wakes up. The Sheraton Maui next door is not bad at all, or select a resort from a competing chain. You can't really go wrong at the Grand Wailea.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by randys1
thanks youndga5, i think i will cancel my resv and move to Grand Wailea...
Oh come on - you can get a suite at the Ritz Carlton down the road for what they are charging at the Grand Wailea.

First off - for all you resort fee haters, the Grand Wailea charges a $20/day resort fee. This Starwood only resort fee is a big myth on these forums.

The pool area gets really crowded at the Wailea - often with screaming kids. Want a drink or food, break out a lot of cash. It's a hugely expensive property. Pool chairs at a premium. If you said you were moving to the Hyatt or Marriott I could buy that story.

Also, don't stay at the Westin, stay at the Sheraton. More relaxing - better upgrades - less stress.

I'm not going to plug in a billion dates, but lets take May 8 - May 15.

Least expensive, non-view room at Wailea is $399 - Westin about $250. Expect parking lot for both properties at those rates with no status.

Want an ocean view room at Wailea, try $619 a night - yep, about double of a AAA rate Westin deluxe ocean view - you can't even book a room above $450 at the Westin.

Ok, so I have cash to spend in Hawaii - A 1 bedroom suite at the Maui Ritz Carlton, same dates above, which is a phenominal property, is $595/night - less expensive than an ocean view room at Wailea.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:39 am

ritz in wrong location and windier area, my money goes to water slides first
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I thought this property was a franchisee, but in another thread, I learned it is corporate owned
So, is this a reflection of how Starwood feels about its elite members or a reflection of their ability to manage one of their properties? Either way...
Old Apr 11, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Okto
So, is this a reflection of how Starwood feels about its elite members or a reflection of their ability to manage one of their properties? Either way...
I think it's a property management issue as we've detailed a number of problems with this hotel that have little to do with status, namely the cluster*** situation with pool lounges as one example.

I would be more concerned if someone at corporate was taking the attitude that the property is running an annual avg occupancy of 85% (a guess, not a fact), so they don't really care if the odd demanding customer is put off by service lapses and won't go back.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
I would be more concerned if someone at corporate was taking the attitude that the property is running an annual avg occupancy of 85% (a guess, not a fact), so they don't really care if the odd demanding customer is put off by service lapses and won't go back.
I am afraid you might be on time something here.. nail.. head.

If you are concerned about service quality just stay at the Sheraton, you will not be disappointed. That being said I still plan on staying at the Westin as I like some of the amenities better (ie Spa, Dining). That is really the crux of the problem. The service lapses are not enough to prevent me from coming back; They just enough to be inconvenienced.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by bdraco
I am afraid you might be on time something here.. nail.. head.

If you are concerned about service quality just stay at the Sheraton, you will not be disappointed. That being said I still plan on staying at the Westin as I like some of the amenities better (ie Spa, Dining). That is really the crux of the problem. The service lapses are not enough to prevent me from coming back; They just enough to be inconvenienced.
I believe you can stay at the Sheraton (less money, nicer rooms, quieter, better elite recognition, better service) and stroll over to the Westin for dining and spa treatments - the best of both worlds.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
I believe you can stay at the Sheraton (less money, nicer rooms, quieter, better elite recognition, better service) and stroll over to the Westin for dining and spa treatments - the best of both worlds.
Absolutely. If it wasn't for the poor internet connection speed (although ok at night) and alternative 4g CLEAR service not having signal (REQUIRED for WORK), I would push all my hotel stays in Maui to the Sheraton.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
You left out better beach/snorkeling. To me that's the biggest win for the Sheraton. It's not like the walk to Whaler's Village is that long either.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
You left out better beach/snorkeling. To me that's the biggest win for the Sheraton. It's not like the walk to Whaler's Village is that long either.
Oh, definitely - Black Rock is *the* place to be for easy snorkeling on Maui and you'll see more coral and fish there than on most of the paid cruises.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 5:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Yes, but I wouldn't charge back to the room, where you're registered, for the dining. It comes back across as miscellaneous and does not earn points. It's better to pay at the property if you are not a registered guest there and show them your SPG card to earn points. I know this from experience two years in a row. (Apparently a slow learner!)
Old Apr 12, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
The rap I heard on the Sheraton is that the pools aren't heated. I did a walkthrough of the property during my stay at the WM in February, but I neglected to stick my hand in a pool there to see how cold it was. How cold are they?

The pools at the WM are at least heated a little bit, which helps if you're visiting in February.

And that walk to Whaler's from the Sheraton is kinda long if you're making a late night run to the ABC store to get something your wife is craving! WM is much closer.

Otherwise I felt that the Sheraton was set a lot further back from the water than the WM which would mean not as good ocean views as the Westin. Also, a conventioneer from the Sheraton was sitting next to me at the bar at Leilani's one night, and he told me the wait staff at the Sheraton's restaurant was downright rude. May have been a simple case of YMMV...
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thebutlerdidit
The rap I heard on the Sheraton is that the pools aren't heated. I did a walkthrough of the property during my stay at the WM in February, but I neglected to stick my hand in a pool there to see how cold it was. How cold are they?

The pools at the WM are at least heated a little bit, which helps if you're visiting in February.

And that walk to Whaler's from the Sheraton is kinda long if you're making a late night run to the ABC store to get something your wife is craving! WM is much closer.

Otherwise I felt that the Sheraton was set a lot further back from the water than the WM which would mean not as good ocean views as the Westin. Also, a conventioneer from the Sheraton was sitting next to me at the bar at Leilani's one night, and he told me the wait staff at the Sheraton's restaurant was downright rude. May have been a simple case of YMMV...
I live in Hawaii and hate getting in cold water. I've never had a problem getting in the pool in winter at the Sheraton - it isn't "warm" water - but it comfortable, especially after being in the sun. Definitely warmer in the pool in winter than the ocean.

I stay at the Sheraton all the time - but never stayed at the restaurants on property - to expensive - the walk to the ABC store (5-7 minutes) is longer than the Westin - but I usually do my ABC run when in Lahaina or go to the Safeway and stock up.

A lot of the plat upgrades at the Sheraton to a suite are not ocean front, but they are ocean view - but they are good with upgrades. You can get stuck with Mountain view at Westin if unlucky.

I will say though - I've gotten some great oceanfront upgrades at the Westin, it is just not as reliable as the Sheraton.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by thebutlerdidit

Actually I do remember the pool being quite cold when I was there in February. I guess if you're a pool person it could make a difference. For me, I didn't fly 10+ hours to swim in chlorine. lol As for the walk, yeah it is longer to the Village from the Sheraton...but I guess the extra 5 minutes never bothered me. And on some days we would make several round trips. But it's not like you're walking next to a landfill.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.