Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

How Long is a Hold for Really Late Arrival ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist

I was doing a quick one night run down to FLL this coming weekend, and had planned to stay at the new St Regis Sat night for $318 (incl tax), when a posting on Hotel Deals led me to the Sheraton Yankee Clipper that was having a 50 Year Anniversary special of $19.57 a night (2 night min stay). I quickly booked it for this Fri-Sat, cancelling the SR. Later reading the 'fine print' I noticed that " rooms are held until hotel check-out time the day followoing arrival'. Well, I am not arriving until Sat, with my flight geting in at 10:30am, and it looks like 'check out' time is 11:00am. With no luggage, and the expected drive from FLL to the hotel being around 15 minutes, I hope to be there before 11:00, but if I'm delayed ?????? Should I call the hotel as soon as I get off the plane and tell them I'm on my way and hope they keep the room? (Or due to the fact that it's such a cheap rate, do you think the hotel would enforce the 'fine print', and cancel my reservation ?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mauld
I was doing a quick one night run down to FLL this coming weekend, and had planned to stay at the new St Regis Sat night for $318 (incl tax), when a posting on Hotel Deals led me to the Sheraton Yankee Clipper that was having a 50 Year Anniversary special of $19.57 a night (2 night min stay). I quickly booked it for this Fri-Sat, cancelling the SR. Later reading the 'fine print' I noticed that " rooms are held until hotel check-out time the day followoing arrival'. Well, I am not arriving until Sat, with my flight geting in at 10:30am, and it looks like 'check out' time is 11:00am. With no luggage, and the expected drive from FLL to the hotel being around 15 minutes, I hope to be there before 11:00, but if I'm delayed ?????? Should I call the hotel as soon as I get off the plane and tell them I'm on my way and hope they keep the room? (Or due to the fact that it's such a cheap rate, do you think the hotel would enforce the 'fine print', and cancel my reservation ?

I would call them now, speak with the FD Manager and get clarity on this as this appears to be a hotel specific promotion.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:15 am

Yes, call to be safe. It's easy and fast and can save you a lot of headaches.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I did call, explained the situation of my arrival time vs cancellation policy and had them put a note on my reservation. I also got the DM's name, so hopefully my $39.14 (for the 2 days) will not got to waste
Old Jun 10, 2007, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Well I called down again on Fri (the day of my scheduled arrival) and once again reconfirmed with the DM that I would be arriving on Sat, and to hold my reservation/room past the 11am cut off time on Sat. He agreed and said it was on my reservation record. Then Sat, my plane arrived early and I ended up walking into the lobby of the Sheraton Yankee Clipper and up to the front desk at 10:40am, only to be told by the desk agent that my reservation had been cancelled since I didn't arrive on Friday! I explained that I had spoken to 'Richard' and also showed by confirmation letter stating that the room would be held until 11am the day following my expected arrival. Sorry, he said, nothing he could do. No one had told him about keeping my reservaiton and "Richard, the DM' was not in. He finally conceeded and said they would give me a room-- but I'd have to wait, as none was clean. My comments that they should have held my room from the day before fell on deaf ears. Another DM comes out and re reads my confirmation with Starwoods own statement of holding a reservation until 11am the next day, and goes through the list of available rooms and does come up with one that I could have now-- although he admitted it was not to be the upgraded one they had for me the day before. By this time, I just wanted to be in my room, so I take it. Turns out, it was not a bad room, it was recently renovated and did have a view of the ocean (but with a new condo going up on one side and a lower level hotel building right in front). I will be posting some pics soon and again for under $20 a night, not a bad room-- although if I were paying $200 a night, I don't think I'd be very happy
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I'd love to know others thoughts on this as well. I'm flying to Le Meridien in Munich next month and expect to be at the hotel by 8 a.m . if all goes well. So I booked for three nights rather than two so I wouldn't have to wait until mid-afternoon for a room. I made a note on my reservation when I made it on spg.com but is there something else I should do? I have no status btw other than AAA preferred. Because after my first TATL flight the last thing I want to deal with is be told my courtyard view room isn't available, I'm stuck with train view or worse no room is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.