Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii Starwood Properties [General Discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii Starwood Properties [General Discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2007, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Arrow Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii Starwood Properties [General Discussion]

I am contemplating a stay at either the W Honolulu Diamond Head, or the Royal Hawaiian or the Sheraton Moana Surfrider.

I would like to hear some more recent experience at these properties.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by hhoope01; Sep 8, 2018 at 7:31 am
Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sapguy
I am contemplating a stay at either the W Honolulu Diamond Head, or the Royal Hawaiian or the Sheraton Moana Surfrider.

I would like to hear some more recent experience at these properties.

Thanks so much.
It depends upon what you want in a hotel, which you can read about in this thread and others -- nothing much has changed at any of the properties in recent years.

I'm at the Moana Surfrider right now, actually sitting on my ocean-front lanai drinking coffee and checking in with FT. I was upgraded to this suite (a big 1-bedroom ocean front suite with two lanais) from a standard room as a SPG Plat. It's tough to beat this hotel in terms of upgrade potential, as the other properties don't even have something like this.

The Moana has started its transition to a Westin, which will occur in June. Some of the suites & rooms have already been converted to the Westin Heavenly standards.

This has become my SPG hotel-of-choice in Waikiki. It used to be the W, but they've let that age and this hotel is mostly recently renovated, so I think it's the best of the bunch. That may change when the Royal completes its conversion to a Luxury Collection property, but that will be more than a year off.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
It depends upon what you want in a hotel, which you can read about in this thread and others -- nothing much has changed at any of the properties in recent years.

I'm at the Moana Surfrider right now, actually sitting on my ocean-front lanai drinking coffee and checking in with FT. I was upgraded to this suite (a big 1-bedroom ocean front suite with two lanais) from a standard room as a SPG Plat. It's tough to beat this hotel in terms of upgrade potential, as the other properties don't even have something like this.

The Moana has started its transition to a Westin, which will occur in June. Some of the suites & rooms have already been converted to the Westin Heavenly standards.

This has become my SPG hotel-of-choice in Waikiki. It used to be the W, but they've let that age and this hotel is mostly recently renovated, so I think it's the best of the bunch. That may change when the Royal completes its conversion to a Luxury Collection property, but that will be more than a year off.
Thanks AZ for your very useful comments.

So in your opinion, the Moana offers the best opportunity to score an upgrade to a suite, right?

I understand that the Moana has its own private beach - is it really nice and no so crowded like most Waikiki beaches are? The beach is very important to my wife

Also, can you comment on the parking situation? Thanks again.

Last edited by sapguy; Feb 4, 2007 at 8:39 am
Old Feb 4, 2007, 2:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sapguy
Thanks AZ for your very useful comments.

So in your opinion, the Moana offers the best opportunity to score an upgrade to a suite, right?

I understand that the Moana has its own private beach - is it really nice and no so crowded like most Waikiki beaches are? The beach is very important to my wife

Also, can you comment on the parking situation? Thanks again.
In my experience, the Moana offers the best opportunity to score a good upgrade. The W has very few suites. The Sheraton Waikiki and the Princess Kaiulani are old and dated, so your chances of getting a nasty old suite, as I did last year at the Sheraton, are pretty high. Plus, the property is just monstrous -- too many people. The Royal Hawaiian just doesn't have the direct-facing, hanging-out-over-the-water feel on the lanai that the suites in the Moana Tower Wing offer.

I just returned this morning from eight nights at the Moana. The ocean-facing suite I received as a Plat was truly stunning. Wall-to-wall ocean. Recently renovated. Very, very nice.

Valet parking costs $25 per day, with all the in/out you need. This past week it didn't take longer than 15 minutes from the time I called to the time the car was brought up. I don't know about the cost of self-parking, though I suspect it isn't a lot less. You also must park over at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, across Kalakaua Avenue. It wouldn't be worth it to me.

I didn't even visit the lounge, though I was invited to at check-in. There is a Honolulu Coffee Company location adjacent to the entrance to the hotel, so I hit that each morning.

As for the "Private Beach," it is a thin strip of over-crowded beach with a small area closest to the hotel property cordoned off by a rope, where you can use hotel beach chairs. It is nothing resembling "privacy," except during periods of rain or high winds, which, unfortunately, we had a fair amount of last week. There really isn't a Starwood option on Oahu with anything close to a secluded, private beach feel.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
In my experience, the Moana offers the best opportunity to score a good upgrade. The W has very few suites. The Sheraton Waikiki and the Princess Kaiulani are old and dated, so your chances of getting a nasty old suite, as I did last year at the Sheraton, are pretty high. Plus, the property is just monstrous -- too many people. The Royal Hawaiian just doesn't have the direct-facing, hanging-out-over-the-water feel on the lanai that the suites in the Moana Tower Wing offer.

I just returned this morning from eight nights at the Moana. The ocean-facing suite I received as a Plat was truly stunning. Wall-to-wall ocean. Recently renovated. Very, very nice.

Valet parking costs $25 per day, with all the in/out you need. This past week it didn't take longer than 15 minutes from the time I called to the time the car was brought up. I don't know about the cost of self-parking, though I suspect it isn't a lot less. You also must park over at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, across Kalakaua Avenue. It wouldn't be worth it to me.

I didn't even visit the lounge, though I was invited to at check-in. There is a Honolulu Coffee Company location adjacent to the entrance to the hotel, so I hit that each morning.

As for the "Private Beach," it is a thin strip of over-crowded beach with a small area closest to the hotel property cordoned off by a rope, where you can use hotel beach chairs. It is nothing resembling "privacy," except during periods of rain or high winds, which, unfortunately, we had a fair amount of last week. There really isn't a Starwood option on Oahu with anything close to a secluded, private beach feel.
Thanks for your input, especially about the parking situation, and the "private" beach.

If they do cordon if off by a rope, I suppose it's OK. My somewhat nightmarish recollection of Waikiki (years ago before becoming a Starwood Plat) was that my wife and I were about 10 inches from the next sunbather

I wasn't really looking for any privacy per se, just not be packed in like sardines on the beach And to be able to use the hotel beach chairs would be nice ^

I will contact the Platinum Concierge to see if a note requesting a Tower room or an upgrade would help. With some luck, I will get the same ocean facing suite that you did for an unforgettable Hawaiian vacation. We shall see (my trip will not be until July when the Moana would be a Westin by then).
Old Mar 30, 2007, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Bumping this thread to ask about current "conditions" at the Moana and Royal Hawaiian. We plan to head to Oahu in August and by then the Moana will be rebranded a Westin. Does anyone know what the extent and nature of the "upgrades" to Westin will include (besides Heavenly Beds)? New furniture, flat screen TVs, etc.?

Is it a decent beach at the Moana and how does that compare to the RH these days?

Is the RH still getting more and more tired (William says the rumored LC conversion is news to him) ? As a Plat, will I have a good chance to get upgraded to one of the suites and should I seek out the historic building or the Tower? Mahalo for any help!
Old Apr 19, 2007, 5:35 pm

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani

Any recent stays? We are staying on an award stay end of May. Only rooms listed on award stay are smoking. I thought *wood did away with the smoking thing? Will put in for non-smoking in an e-mail before we go. I'm SPG Gold.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by chuck1
I've booked the lowest category at Princess K (something like $120/nt) and got upgraded to a room on a high floor with a nice ocean view.

The hotel was very ordinary and reminded me of an older Holiday Inn out on the interstate.

That said it was fine for 1 night and the staff was courteous.

I ate dinner at the Japanese restaurant and it was okay too but no view but they were very nice.

The prices were reasonable. In fact I stayed at the SPG35 rate which gives a room discount plus a discount in the restaurants. Not only that but there was a coupon for the Japanese restaurant in the room so I got a large percentage off the bill
I also booked from 11/27/06 - 12/1/06 on spg.com for the Princess K at $120/night and was upgraded to the 13th floor of the tower with ocean view.

Very sweet deal and nice hotel in Waikiki!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IC Amb.
Arrow Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii Starwood Properties (General Discussion)

I have been to waikiki many times, but I usually stay at the Hyatt. This time I want to use SPG points and I want to fidn the best redemption option. The Sheraton Princess Kaiulani does not have award availability, so it's out. That leaves me the Sheraton Waikiki, the Royal Hawaiian, and the Sheraton Moana Surfrider (I apologize if I am not up on the recent brand changes, but you get the point).
There will be four adults and I am trying to decide between getting two rooms or a suite. Two rooms is good because that gives us better bedding options and two bathrooms. The advantage of a suite is the fact that most of the suites are oceanfront. Since I am platinum, I thought about booking two rooms and booking one of them in an oceanfront category and the other a standard room and hoping for a platinum upgrade on that one. That has worked before in Europe, but I have never dealt with these properties. Any experince any of you may have or recommendations are greatly appreciated. I'm looking for the best use of points to get all 4 of us oceanfront views and nice accomodations while taking advantage of any Plat. benefits at the same time. Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 4, 2007, 11:16 pm

Programs: American Airlines, starwood
I've only stayed at the Royal Hawaiian and that was on an awards stay in a basic room...which was old and worn out. The property is so beautiful and has loads of charm. I would ask for a renovated oceanview room. I'm not pla.t so I can't comment on your chances of getting upgraded on the second room. If it's in the summer I'd say chances are slim since it's so busy. You'd hate to get the standard room there it was very worn out 2 years ago.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:48 am

Sheraton PK stay May 26-May 31 '07

Just a quick report on the PK from a recent 5 nt award stay. Booked this hotel on short notice. As a Gold was not expecting any kind of UG and did not receive any, nor did I ask. Was put in the Kaiulani wing on the fourth floor facing the street and Kings Shops. The walls are not well insulated and we were awoken one night to the sounds of some folks partying. However, a complaint to the front desk and the matter was resovled to our satisfaction very quickly. ^

We were awoken each morning by 6 am to the sounds of tour buses parking below our room. No matter, with a 3 hour time difference and wanting to get up to enjoy the day, this was not an issue for us. But something to be aware of with this wing. The rooms are small but we did have a nice balcony to sit on. The bathroom is worn and I ended up having a metal tube drop down from the sink legs that landed on my big toe causing a cut and me to bleed all over the floor.

In the lobby they have four computers set up with Internet access but they are usually occupied. Did not eat at the restaurants but hung out at the pool one afternoon. They closed the kitchen at about 2PM, so the only thing you could get were drinks from the bar. There is a hot dog stand parked right outside the pool area though. Parking is $15/day. All in all a fine stay. We didn't spend much time in the room, and for a reward stay it was perfect for us.

Last edited by toadman; Jun 5, 2007 at 8:59 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:12 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Reccomendations for just staying overnight (arriving 11pm on a Fri. nite into HNL, w/ an inter-island flight mid-morning the next day)???

The Princess looks like it's the closest, and they say they're about 15 min. from HNL at those arrival/departure times.

It looks like there are a couple of non-spg props a little closer to HNL (Best West., HI, etc.), yet for about the same price.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:21 am

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
Stay close

Given the funtimes with shuttle buses, especially at that hour, I'd stay close to the airport... IMHO...
Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:16 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the tip! I've seen a couple of mixed messages on how far away from the airport the Sheraton is...one review said 20 minutes, another said 30, hard to say.

The ONLY HNL airport hotel I'm finding (orbitz, travelo, exped, hotels, etc.) is the Best Western...interestingly, it's BEST rates are at least $50-60 more per night than the Sheraton...might be worth it in terms of time, as you say, since it looks like it's practically across the street from HNL.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
skye1, if I were you (with the limited time), it might be worth it to stay at the Best Western (assuming they have a free shuttle).

The cost of a taxi/shuttle to the Waikiki SPG and the time it can take (thought at 11 PM it shouldn't be too bad) might make it easier to stay near HNL. Maybe you can try to get an earlier flight out in the morning (assuming you are on Aloha/Hawaiian/Go).

If you had a bit more time, like getting in earlier, I would definitely recommend Waikiki. But as it is, it is probably not worth it in the long run.

JMHO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.