Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bear Mountain (Victoria/Langford, BC) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Thanks. Is everything there as you expected? I will be there Next Sunday.
Just got back from this property. I got a nice corner suite with a full kitchen, breakfast was cont. or $11 per person off the menu. 15 minute ride to town, not sure why SPG has no property in Victoria. Amazing gym, yet with all that effort they forgot a sauna. Unbelievable views in the morning and some challenging hiking trails. A very solid property.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Amazing gym, yet with all that effort they forgot a sauna.
I'm pretty sure that the last time i was there, they told me that the spa has a sauna. did you check out the spa in the separate building between the two hotel buildings?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenSenise
I'm pretty sure that the last time i was there, they told me that the spa has a sauna. did you check out the spa in the separate building between the two hotel buildings?
They have a small IR sauna that is $10 per use. They have no traditional steam or sauna rooms. This gym is still much better than your average resort gym though, as I think we would both agree.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 3:46 pm

They have a small IR sauna that is $10 per use. They have no traditional steam or sauna rooms. This gym is still much better than your average resort gym though, as I think we would both agree.
The spa has both a sauna and a steam room. Presumably one needs to be using the spa facilities to access them.

The gym is great, as mentioned.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SurlyJoe
The spa has both a sauna and a steam room. Presumably one needs to be using the spa facilities to access them.

The gym is great, as mentioned.
I did not go to the spa, which is in the main building away from the gym. I do know the spa has a hot tub, but I am not sure about a steam room. Either way, this is a great property.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 1:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
The fee to access the spa is CAD 20, IIRC.

There is no hot tub but a mineral pool ( with temperatures in the low 80's) right beneath the hotel, so everybody sitting on the balcony in the main hotel building and the main restaurant terrace has a nice view of the pool & outdoor relaxation area...

Both the steam room and sauna have a very long tube like shape, so it is getting very narrow, if people enter or exit the room..., simply not comfortable for everyone involved...

The showers are small with a cheap curtain as a divider instead of a full cabin with a real door, all the used water is flowing into the main area from where you access the sauna or steam room, so every user ( not everyone is wearing slippers ) walks through the used water constantly...

Either the architect did not draw up a comparable facility before or they just squeezed it into a part of the hotel without enough space...

The only upside, the indoor relaxation room has a beautiful vertical green wall ( flowers growing on the wall with an integrated water dispensing unit )
Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
I just stayed here for two days and overall I was very happy with the facilities and rooms.
The only strange thing was, I asked for late checkout this morning and I was told right away that it is not possible as every room is booked tonight so I need to leave by 1 so they can clean them by 3. I found it a bit strange that it was that full and the reception answered no right away without checking so I went online and they are taking reservations for 2 rooms tonight (both regular rooms and suites). I didn't want to make a fuss for an extra hour so I will leave by 1 anyway, but any advice if I should pursue the denial of benefits when they are clearly still taking reservations?
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
It's up to you, but when I feel a property is screwing with Plat bennies without sufficient reason, I contact CCS.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I really like this property but late check outs during peak periods are pretty much impossible. I'm lucky to get an extra hour and I have spent many nights there....to be fair, those huge suites must take a loooooong time to clean!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM; Starwood Platinum
bike rental?

I see that bike rentals are now included in the resort fee. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm thinking it might be good for the non-golfers in our group.

I emailed the front desk and this is the response I got:

Thank you for inquiring about our newly added mountain bikes. They are included in your resort fee for a maximum of 2 hours per day per guest in your room. After 2 hours it is $10.00 per additional hour to a maximum of $30.00 per day.

We have trail maps available for the local area as well as the surrounding area. Some of the trails are paved in portions and chip/gravel in other parts. It just depends on where you want to bike and what area of town you want to bike to and from. Up on the mountain the roads to ride on are paved.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:26 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Aren't familiar with bike rentals but forgot to post that we had another excellent stay a few weeks ago. (Week leading up to Canada Day.) Excellent Plat. recognition with front desk reaching out to us shortly after making our reservation.

One Plat. issue we noticed was that the resort fee for Plats. was raised from CAD$5 to CAD$8. Still under half-price and, considering the quality of the pool and fitness facilities, and those great corner suites in the Clubhouse building, worth it.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB

Thanks for the update. Did you use SNAs ?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by banzani
Thanks for the update. Did you use SNAs ?
I know you didn't ask me, but I stayed there last week and was upgraded ahead of time to a suite. I did not use a SNA.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:32 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I didn't use a SNA. I had found a qualifying rate plan (published on the spg.com site) which allowed me to book into a basic suite at a very attractive revenue rate.

When the property contacted me well in advance as an early welcome outreach, I explained that we had had such a great stay a few years ago in a corner Clubhouse suite, and if such were available for our stay when we arrived, we would be so appreciative. It was and we were.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB

Thanks to both. We'll be here towards the end of the month, and it sounds and looks as if this is a hidden gem in the SPG portfolio. Resort is sold out for our dates so I'll leave the SNAs in to increase our chances. Have booked a round on each course, good deal for CAD 69 after 4pm which includes CAD 15 food credit. Sunset is just before 9 so should suffice for a full round.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.