Current SPG Point Value?

Old May 24, 07, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,WN Companion Pass, AA Plat, Hertz Plat
Current SPG Point Value?

I did attempt a search, so please forgive me if this subject has recently been addressed.

With the 2007 SPG devaluation in point value, do we have a current 2007 value per point?

I usually stay in Hawaii on points and 10,000 SPG points versus a $400+ per night room was an easy decision.

I'm currently looking at a vacation wherein the property is 10,000 points per night, but the paid rate stay is only $243 per night including all taxes.

I have plenty of points (500,000), but I'm one of those that likes to have an abundance of points available.

I can also afford to pay for the room.

I'm also aware of the theory of: spend the points now as continued devaluation is inevitable.

One more thing, I will probably do "nights and flights", if I chose the redemption option.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old May 24, 07, 8:57 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
So many variables. I still routinely get over 5 cents a point and tend to use them only when I do. Then again, I might feel different if I had 500,000 points to burn!

Use them for Business or First Class to Europe and the points will be very valuable. Use them at a resort during Xmas week and they'll also be very valuable. Check out the cost of a suite versus using them for points and you can often clean up.

We're taking our family to Italy next summer. Boy could I use 500,000 points!
Old May 25, 07, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It varies. (Sorry, had to lead with that)

I've redeemed them for up to 9 cents, but I'd put an "average" valuation of right around 2 cents today, maybe 2.2.
Old May 25, 07, 6:35 am

Programs: TK*S +SPG platinum, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
I often book the ROS in BKK Kat. 2
While the weekends mostly come for 140-150 US$ , with points it comes only 3k. ( around 4,8 - 5 cent per point )

*** Lat week I got an email from SPG with an offer to buy points for 35 US$ per 1000, that should also give you an idea ***
Old May 25, 07, 11:35 am

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Here's my 2 cents worth.
Old May 25, 07, 2:44 pm

Programs: SVO, SPG Gold, AAdvantage, TrueBlue
Talking

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump View Post
Here's my 2 cents worth.
Just to give my few cents, I booked the Sheraton Moorea in French Polynesia,a nd a beach bungalow at 91000 XPF (about $1025) is only 14500 points. 5th night free, that's $5125, or 58000 points. Math puts my points at $0.088 per point. almost 9 cents. So it's not always devalued.
Old May 25, 07, 8:12 pm

Official exchange according to XE is 2.2 cents per SPG point

Actually, that is the point level value according to my opinion.
Old May 25, 07, 10:22 pm

Programs: SPG & SVO
I'm just curious how people use the wood points to fly first class or business class? Also, isn't this the time of year that British Airways has done their conversion bonus promo?
Old May 26, 07, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When allowed, I'd buy as many points as I can for 2.3 cents still, maybe up to 4 cents per point depending on need. I easily get redemption values of 2.6 cents and generally still get redemption values of 4.5 to 8 cents per point.
Old May 26, 07, 7:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I'm traveling around europe next week, and am getting between 3-4 cents on almost every hotel.
Old May 26, 07, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by sharktzu View Post
I'm just curious how people use the wood points to fly first class or business class?...
For most airlines, 20,000 Starpoints = 25,000 air miles.

You just convert the points to miles (as many as you need, within the limits allowed) and book an award directly with the airline.

Hope that answers your question.
Old May 26, 07, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
You are at the borderline, and sound like you frequently use it.

It's an easier question with like 100k points in the bank. At 500k, you wouldn't notice it being gone.

If it was me, with a 100k balance, I wouldn't do it, as I save them for bigger ticket items.

If I had 500k, then I'd do it if I could take advantage of the 5th night free and wouldn't if it was less.

2.2 cents sounds about right for a standard redemption at the new rates. ($400 in NYC for 16k points).
Old May 27, 07, 9:47 am

I dont have so many SPG points but I have very high balances in other programs and when I am on the border like I think this stay is what usually pushes me over is how many nights total is involved and whether I need the stay credit etc. Personally I would be looking at paying for the stay if it was just a couple of nights as I like to see $.03+ for my spg points. Of course everybody is different as you have a lot of points and if you didnt want to spare the cash you might toss your normal guidelines right out the window.
Old May 28, 07, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,WN Companion Pass, AA Plat, Hertz Plat
Thank you one and all for taking the time to respond.

I've decided to use Nights & Flights and burn some points to enjoy this vacation.

Afterall, there is only one thing better than a vacation...............A FREE VACATION!!

Old May 28, 07, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
I value my SPG points at 2.5 cents but I have manged to get reward nights at about 6 cents too. I value my Hilton points at 0.5 cents.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: