Parking Charge

Old May 9, 07, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Parking Charge

I recently made an SPG points reservation at the Downtown 4 Points By Sheraton in Portland, Oregon.
Nowhere in the property description, on line confirmation, nor e-mailed confirmation does it mention a parking charge. However a phone call to the 4 Points 800# for another reason uncovered the fact that there is a $15.00/nite charge for parking.
I feel that this should be fully disclosed in the reservation and written cofirmation process. Otherwise, the charge is unfair.
Old May 9, 07, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sawsmanfc View Post
I recently made an SPG points reservation at the Downtown 4 Points By Sheraton in Portland, Oregon.
Nowhere in the property description, on line confirmation, nor e-mailed confirmation does it mention a parking charge. However a phone call to the 4 Points 800# for another reason uncovered the fact that there is a $15.00/nite charge for parking.
I feel that this should be fully disclosed in the reservation and written cofirmation process. Otherwise, the charge is unfair.
can You please increase the size of the Font, you words are too small for me to read them, THANKS
Old May 9, 07, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz View Post
can You please increase the size of the Font, you words are too small for me to read them, THANKS
Sorry, no intention to offend anyone. ^
Old May 9, 07, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
However a phone call to the 4 Points 800# for another reason uncovered the fact that there is a $15.00/nite charge for parking.
You're wasting your time. Parking is an optional service. One can always park off-property, if not always conveniently.

Need a hotel state every menu charge, dry cleaning charge, or phone charge in advance of your arrival?

Some hotels will state they offer free parking. If they don't exlicitly state it's free I expect to pay.
Old May 9, 07, 8:46 pm

Programs: Hy-Vee Fuel Saver
At http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpo...opertyID=97512 the very first thing listed is:
Pay Self Parking Facilities
Old May 10, 07, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta: Platinum, Turkish: Gold (Star Alliance Gold); HHonors: Gold; Hyatt: Plat; SPG: Plat;
The way I see it - anytime you are staying in a downtown hotel in a major city, don't expect free parking, unless specified.

In fact, when I am booking a downtown hotel, I call them or look for parking info on the website to see what the charges are!
Old May 10, 07, 1:50 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by id9795 View Post
In fact, when I am booking a downtown hotel, I call them or look for parking info on the website to see what the charges are!
I can only assume that you're talking about booking non-Starwood hotels since I don't recall a single Starwood property that lists their actual parking charges on the official Starwoodhotels.com website.
Old May 10, 07, 1:57 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Actually, I have stayed at this 4Points and would not recommend it. The staff is surly, unhelpful, and the area isn't all that great after dark. The only positive is that the location is close to other places in downtown Portland and to the freeways.

As far as parking charges - as others have mentioned - it's downtown Portland - honestly $15 for overnight parking is getting off cheap imo. At Seattle properties downtown (Westin, Sheraton, W) the parking overnight is usually at least $25 or more.
Old May 10, 07, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Lifetime Gold, SPG Plat
Or in the case of the Westin in Seattle the amazingly helpful Bell Captain (or whatever you call the man at the front door with the peaked cap organising the minions) tells you it's $30 for valet, $25 for self-park or drive round the corner to Westin Building car park (with a walkway directly into the hotel) and it's $15.
Old May 10, 07, 5:18 pm

Programs: No More Loyalty
Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
At http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpo...opertyID=97512 the very first thing listed is:
Good job finding that; unfortunately, you kind of have to search for it since a parking charge is NOT disclosed in the the detailed terms & conditions of Starwood properties.

Since we are talking about a database-driven web site that is updated continously, seems to me that they could not only disclose the fact of a parking charge on the T&Cs but they also could present the actual price.

I've also had two Starwood properties charge me for parking even when I didn't have a car. Their explanation was that "we just assume you have one unless you tell us different." In the first instance, I didn't even know there was a parking charge since none was disclosed and it was not in a location where you would expect one. I now call and ask every time I make a reservation at a place I haven't stayed before. But that doesn't that just point out an inadequacy of the web site???
Old May 10, 07, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
A few times I have booked via the phone, and to prepare against cardiac arrest, the agents tell you the price of parking at the downtown SF properties!
Old May 11, 07, 3:08 am
Original Poster

4 Points Downtown Portland, Or. Parking

Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
Unfortunatly, there is no reference nor link to this URL during the booking or confirmation process.
It all relates to a need for better communications, IMHO.
Old May 11, 07, 4:08 am

Programs: Hy-Vee Fuel Saver
Unfortunatly, there is no reference nor link to this URL during the booking or confirmation process.
It all relates to a need for better communications, IMHO.
If you think that fees for the use of parking facilities should be disclosed during the booking or confirmation process, you are entitled to your opinion.

But your post that started this thread said "Nowhere in the property description, on line confirmation, nor e-mailed confirmation does it mention a parking charge." If I go to the hotel's main page and click on the "Features" link, it comes right up. This is true for the Four Points in Portland, Oregon or the Sheraton in Portland, Maine.

It may not be where you or Sirecca would look for it, but it's where I would look for it.
Old May 11, 07, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you check in your michelin guide, the free parking is noted.

wait til you park in an european metropolitan area. florence is quoted by the size of your car.
Old Jun 2, 07, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by ldsant View Post
At Seattle properties downtown (Westin, Sheraton, W) the parking overnight is usually at least $25 or more.
I just returned from a stay at the Seattle Sheraton and parking at the property (valet only) was $35 a night! Ouch!

I was informed that I could self-park 1.5 blocks away for $28 a night.

I chose the valet.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: