Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dom or 4P in Cologne

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2008, 2:38 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mauld
Thanks for that last note. I'm doing a quick one night trip to CGN next month and was debating between the Dom (e122 incl full buffet breakfast) or the 4P for a Single room at e80. As a Plat, last year I was given a small, narrow room with one single bed at the 4P, and when I complained I was told sorry, you are travelling alone and we only give our larger rooms to 2 or more guests This year, I was debating going for the 4P and trying my luck again---but I do remember the mess the construction caused, and my non view. So your comment about the ongoing construction made my decision easier. So the Dom it is, now I just have to hope for a nice upgrade with a Dom view. (Don't really care about a suite, but any room there would have to be bigger than my miniscule room at the 4P)
Just keep in mind that the 80eur at the 4p includes the breakfast buffet, if cost is a deciding factor.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Originally Posted by mauld
Thanks for that last note. I'm doing a quick one night trip to CGN next month and was debating between the Dom (e122 incl full buffet breakfast) or the 4P for a Single room at e80. As a Plat, last year I was given a small, narrow room with one single bed at the 4P, and when I complained I was told sorry, you are travelling alone and we only give our larger rooms to 2 or more guests
My wife stayed at the 4P eighteen months ago with my points and got a big suite as a solo traveller on a two night stay. She said the room looked a bit worn, but it was 3K points for a weekend night and was very happy with the value.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:57 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by skye1
Just keep in mind that the 80eur at the 4p includes the breakfast buffet, if cost is a deciding factor.
As does the e122 at the DOM, but unless the area around the 4P's has changed dramatically (for the better ) and the nearby construction at 4P is gone, I think I'll stay with the the DOM on this trip.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both Cologne hotels work fine, and are both very convenient to the central railway station (the 4 points is 2 or 3 minutes by foot closer). Frankly, for most folks, your choice should depend on why you're in Cologne and price. For a quick one night stay, I'd pick the 4 points if it were cheaper. If price was no consideration, the Dom wins hands down as a "destination" property. Not that the 4 points is bad, but it's the kind of place you stay in for convenience and price -- not atmosphere. If you're paying your own way, both sometimes have SPG promos.

Note at the 4 points, I received a free "mini-bar" last year. It was juice and water, no booze. It wouldn't really be enough to influence my decision on where to stay, but it's always fun getting something for nothing.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Note at the 4 points, I received a free "mini-bar" last year. It was juice and water, no booze. It wouldn't really be enough to influence my decision on where to stay, but it's always fun getting something for nothing.
They got rid of that as of January of this year. They do still provide a free bottle of water.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
They got rid of that as of January of this year. They do still provide a free bottle of water.
Nothing like "progress."

BTW, as you enter the train station from the 4 points, there was a very inexpensive "chain" bakeshop to get a quick pastry or pretzel for breakfast if, like me, you're on a no-breakfast rate and don't feel like paying the freight in Euros. I can't remember the name (I'm sure someone here will), but it seemed quite popular among the Germans (who seem to be as "deal oriented" as most flyertalkers ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.