Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Pine Cliffs and Pine Cliff Residence, Albufeira, Portugal [Master Thread]

Sheraton Pine Cliffs and Pine Cliff Residence, Albufeira, Portugal [Master Thread]

Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Pine Cliffs Residence -- Cat6 (despite some upcoming off-season rates of just EUR 115)
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by sc flier
Pine Cliffs Residence -- Cat6 (despite some upcoming off-season rates of just EUR 115)
That pre pay rate is one of the reasons I'm going. Hard to beat that, so as long as the property and its management is good these days.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:06 am

any recent opinions here
Im plat

wondering which property I should book for my6 friends
1 female 60 daughter 30 and baby
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:45 am

Bump,

Also currently trying to make the decision between the Sheraton Algarve and the Pine Cliffs residences, working out to approximately the same total price so whichever property people feel is best.

Also just to double check the Pine cliffs is Limited participation but i think I will still earn points and qualify for the triple points? Spending a reasonable sum so want to make sure I earn.

Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
My wife and I recently stayed here on a 5 night reward stay from Aug 20-25as part of an extended vacation across Europe. We had pre-arranged a private airport transfer through faroairporttransfers.com for $62 EURO roundtrip which I thought was quite reasonable.

Arrival - Upon arrival at the hotel at around 6pm, there was absolutely no one around to help us with our numerous bags. In fact, our driver had to assist us in bringing our bags in. Check-in was rather unorganized as there was no real line, rather just a bunch of people standing around waiting to check-in. Check-in was less than 10 minutes from start to finish with the front desk guy being rather helpful in explaining the resort. As well, my platinum status was recognized and the various amenities were offered. He also requested which paper we would like to have delivered to our room on a daily basis that I noted he had written down. Needless to say by day 3, we had yet to receive the daily paper so I enquired at the front desk where it was noted again, however, throughout my entire stay not one paper was received.

Room - The front desk clerk indicated it was an upgrade, however, other than an ocean view on the 2nd flr (room 190 something), the room appeared to be of the standard room type. That being said, the room was more than adequate as we hardly spent any time in there anyways. The bathroom was a decent size and the AC worked rather well.

Dining - Having known before I arrived that the dining options were quite pricey, I was not overly surprised by the exorbitant pricing. We actually didn't end up eating one meal at the resort as the restaurants located directly outside the main gate were a fraction of the cost of eating on the resort. As well, there is a grocery store just across the road as well which was also priced reasonably. We stocked up on snacks, water, to keep us going during our days at the beach. We dined at both restaurants directly outside the gates, however, their names escape me. They are both owned by the same people and both had very tasty and fresh offerings. Dinner including 2 entrees and salad plus bottled water and a litre of wine was always less than $30 EURO. We also took a cab one night into the closest town over (Olhos de Aqua) which was $10 EURO each way. There are a bunch of places to eat/drink down by the water. We ate at Fratelli Pizzeria which was very tasty and again much more reasonable than the resort. We also sat on a nearby patio and enjoyed a couple of large pitchers of tasty Sangria which I think were only $6 EURO each.

We had drinks a couple of nights at the Champagne Bar before dinner. There is a happy hour between 530-630 whereby all drinks are 25% off. The mixed cocktails and champagne was rather pricey, but a draft beer on the menu was only $5 EURO and the local Portugese wine selections were $7.50 for a very large pour. We also ate at the beach restaurant a couple of times, well at least attempted to. The second day we were there we were seated promptly and then waited 15 minutes to get our order taken at which time, we gave up and just walked out. We ordered takeout back to our beach chairs one afternoon and we got our order in less than 5 mins. A burger and fries was approx $15. If you walk along the beach to the left, there is a beach bar maybe 30-45 min walk down that sells drinks, ice cream, sandwiches, etc

Beach - Although it was a bit of a walk as previously noted, the beach was great. Always lots of chairs and umbrellas available. The towel card thing was a little annoying but this isn't the first resort I have stayed at which used this method for towels. There were a lot of kids around, but that is to be expected in peak season at a family resort.

Pools - Two large pools, but we didn't really use them as they were always packed with kids running around and parents not paying much attention to them.

Service - I found the service rather hit and miss. For the amount of money that families were paying to stay/dine at the resort, I would have expected more. We didn't have to deal with hotel staff very often, but when we did, it left something to be desired. For example, there was the newspaper issue noted above. As well, one morning we enquired where the onsite supermarket was and what they sold there, specifically, sandwiches. I was told that for sure they had sandwiches so we enquired how to get there was told to take the train shuttle as it was on the other end of the resort. After waiting for 10 minutes for the train and then taking the extended trip over there, we show up and they don't carry sandwiches, however, they would be more than happy for you to purchase packages of meat, cheese, vegetables, condiments and they would make them for you with their fresh bread/buns. As if I am going to be exorbitant amounts for packages of everything only to use a fraction of them. For example, they didn't have butter, rather I would have to buy a pound of butter. Needless to say, this was a wasted trip and once again we had to wait for the train shuttle and then the extended trip back to the front gates.

Another disappointing example was when we enquired about a cab to get into town for dinner. One was ordered and promptly arrived 5 minutes later. After dinner/drinks, we searched for a taxi and none were to be found. We didn't have our blackberries on the entire trip in order to avoid costly international roaming fees. We had to walk all the way up to the main highway and after 30 minutes of finally waiting there, we were finally able to hail a cab. Why wouldn't the front desk clerk have informed us or arranging a cab for the way back or the difficulty of getting a cab? Surely she assumed if we were needing a cab to get there, we would need one to get back.

One night they also had a managers reception overlooking the cliffs for an hour or two with appetizers and champagne. There were numerous staff roaming around asking guests about their opinions of the resort etc. I'm not sure if we appeared much younger than everyone else and thus our opinions were unimportant (we are in our early 30s), but no one approached us.

Overall - If I would have been a paying customer at whatever the normal rate is - around $400 EURO or so, I would have expected much better service. The cost of a family to stay and dine for an extended period of time would be very costly, however, given the vehicles parked in the parking lot, I can only assume that cost was not a big issue to most guests there. As for whether staying at the Sheraton or the Residences, the Residences are very spread out throughout the resort and having to rely on the train shuttle day after day would be a huge headache. Having a kitchen though would be very handy. We were content with our stay given it was on points, but I'm not sure if I would stay here again. Service was lacking relative to our other starwoods stays on this trip (Westin Excelsior Rome and Florence and the Pulitzer in Amsterdam).
Old Sep 5, 2011, 4:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
It's always interesting to read reviews from someone who was co-staying, so since I was here with my family at the same time, some observations :

Originally Posted by habshabs444
He also requested which paper we would like to have delivered to our room on a daily basis that I noted he had written down. Needless to say by day 3, we had yet to receive the daily paper so I enquired at the front desk where it was noted again, however, throughout my entire stay not one paper was received.
Agreed. The offer of a complimentary newspaper is new this season, I was offered this too, but it only appeared 3 days out of the 7. They need to improve.

The front desk clerk indicated it was an upgrade, however, other than an ocean view on the 2nd flr (room 190 something), the room appeared to be of the standard room type.
Ocean view rooms command a substantial price premium so are a good upgrade, particulaly in high season when the hotel is full. FWIW, I didn't get an upgrade.

We dined at both restaurants directly outside the gates, however, their names escape me. They are both owned by the same people and both had very tasty and fresh offerings
'O Antonio' is one, good food, good service and good value. I guess you were on the next table.

The towel card thing was a little annoying
The beach club is on a public beach. Towel cards are a perfectly sensible way to ensure towels and sunbeds are only given to hotel guests.

Pools - Two large pools, but we didn't really use them as they were always packed with kids running around and parents not paying much attention to them
I was one of the parents. The pools were never, ever 'packed' : there was always plenty of room, and I didn't witness any unduly disruptive behaviour by any of the kids.
The third pool, on the ledge above the main pool, is always quieter.

One night they also had a managers reception overlooking the cliffs for an hour or two with appetizers and champagne. There were numerous staff roaming around asking guests about their opinions of the resort etc. I'm not sure if we appeared much younger than everyone else and thus our opinions were unimportant (we are in our early 30s), but no one approached us.
The managers reception is a very pleasant, informal occasion, where you can chill out and relax and just enjoy the view from the headland sundeck and maybe chat to a few of your fellow guests while quaffing plentiful quantities of their rather nice champagne, not a feedback-gathering session. As it happens, I grabbed the GM as he was passing and had a chat about all the work they've done to fix the sand erosion problems on the beach.... Sorry if I detained him too long.

As for whether staying at the Sheraton or the Residences, the Residences are very spread out throughout the resort and having to rely on the train shuttle day after day would be a huge headache
I've never bothered with the train. Ther resort isn't that big. From the hotel to, say, the O Grill in the heart of the Residences area : 10 minutes stroll

Service was lacking
I guess we have different views of service. I don't really expect anyone to second-guess my taxi requirements. I've stayed here serveral times, and have always found the service here, be it reception, housekeping, breakfast, dinner, whatever, to be of a high standard and nicely understated.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Sep 5, 2011 at 6:00 am
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
Nine night stay in March, 2013. Nice golf course on property (9 holes quite good!) about 40 courses in Albufeira. Need a GPS for the first few times to find this and sister property. NO worries ... fantastic stay start to finish. Would be great with kids, too. Huge property.

Nothing but excellence, we had a full 2BR villa golf view, walking distance to club & restaurant. Very easy to use Sheraton facilities as well.

Drinks & food reasonable but actual cost of Portuguese wines will shock you if you go to a local super, you wish you could take 10 cases home.

Service was friendly people with genuine caring, never a whisper of any sort of problem. That true ***** service you notice after its done.

Highly recommended, would personally pick over Sheraton (I always get a car except staying in cities) as we travel to golf.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:20 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Hey folks - I'm heading over to Pine Cliffs next month, and wondered if there was any recent feedback? Is the Platinum breakfast full buffet?

I have to say, I was super impressed to see Pine Cliffs pop up on Hot Escapes last week. Booked the 2-bed apartment suite (or whatever it's called) for €151 per night! I don't know if it's just me, or this is heavily off-season, but that sounds like an incredible bargain to me! The other room (same type) is booked at a cost of 130k SPG point (6 nights on the Paradise is Closer promo), and I'm annoyed I didn't cancel that and just book with cash at this rate! Am I right to be overly happy with that rate? Or is that normal fare at this time of year?

And again - any recent tips/tricks etc very welcome. I'll have 3 rooms in total. Each with 2 adults and 2 or 3 kids... Any recommendations which area to request, or what type of room etc? Would love to have it all squared away before I get there.

Cheers,
JK
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
Just back from a 9 night stay at the Apartments. We hired a 2 bed apartment.

Positives :-

1. Apartments are great quality. Washer/dryer/kitchen area/living room. Master bed room has lovely en-suite - plus there is a second bathroom for guests/second bedroom occupants. There was also a pull out sofa bed in the living room - not very comfy

2. Pool area nice, albeit quite busy (August - very high season). There are at least 6 pools around the resort - we generally stuck to the one at the apartments

3. Breakfast excellent. Plat breakfast amenity extended to all 6 guests !!!! And no quibbling about continental only - the full works

4. Reasonable kids activities - a fair bit to do and great amenities. Football tournament / practice every night which was hugely popular with kids (and watching adults)

5. Setting was stunning. Beach area lovely. Mature golf course on the grounds for those who play. Fabulous tennis facilities also. Gym was great

Negatives :-

1. Maid service a little poor. Frequently had to ask for more towels and shower gels/shampoos. Normally I leave a tip for the maids - no chance after this performance

2. Some of the waiter service was a little slow - not what one would expect from such a high end resort

3. Internet, whilst free for me as a plat (not sure if others had to pay) was sometimes horribly slow. At times I had to create a hotspot on my UK Vodafone when I really needed to send emails - this obviously cost a small fortune but worked much better. Night-time seemed worse

As an incidental, the 2 beds are meant for 5 people. I emailed ahead using my Ambassador, as one of my kids wanted to bring a friend, which would have meant 6 people. The hotel allowed this which was very popular within the Nimi family

Will definitely return
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
and to address an earlier query on this resorts limited participation in SPG, I got full Starpoints credited when I woke this morning
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Renovation?

Any recent experiences since the start of the renovation?

(Seems the main hotel is close until June 26th 2016 with only the residences available).

-- Dambus

Last edited by Dambus; Apr 4, 2016 at 3:48 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:33 pm

Did you get any info?

Due to stay here Octoberand looking for some feedback

Originally Posted by Dambus
Any recent experiences since the start of the renovation?

(Seems the main hotel is close until June 26th 2016 with only the residences available).

-- Dambus
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold,HHonours Diamond,SPG Plat,Carlson Gold,Accor Plat,Etihad Gold
SPG Platinum Breakfst Benefit at Residences

Does anyone know if the resort offers complimentary breakfast to Plat if you are booked into the Residences?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:54 pm

Also keen to know other Plat experiences at this property?

Originally Posted by craigs1973
Does anyone know if the resort offers complimentary breakfast to Plat if you are booked into the Residences?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
I would also ask for any recent experiences.
Is a free breakfast provided to platinums at the hotel, the ocean suites or the residences?
Are there additional fees to play golf or tennis on the premises or is that free of charge for guests?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.