Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ITC Windsor Sheraton & Towers no more!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

ITC Windsor Sheraton & Towers no more!!!

I just checked out of the ITC Windsor Sheraton and Towers this week. I may be the last Flyer talker to ever do so.

The hotel (and several other ITC properties) are being rebranded as Luxury Collection. The staff mentioned it to us, and we saw "S" signs being removed from several places.

The press release is:
http://www.itcwelcomgroup.in/others/Press.asp?Press=68

http://www.spg.com still lists it under the old name, but I assume it will update soon.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 6:17 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
There are several hotels that are both Sheratons and a part of the Luxury Collection. I suppose the Windsor will not keep the Sheraton brand.

I read the press release. I think this is just a way for Welcomgroup to gouge customers even more. Hotels in India are already very expensive and the rates will go up even more once these hotels become a part of the luxury collection. But they can get away with this due to a short supply of hotel rooms, so makes absolute business sense.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I had mentioned something about this several days ago, but now it's far more clear what's happening:

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news07...odHotels.shtml
Old Apr 22, 2007, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1M/1K, AA 1M/PLT, TG ROP Gold, BAEC Gold, SPG PLT, IC Ambassador, Taj Silver
I am really surprised to see the Mughal in Agra being switched to a Luxury Collection. The hotel is in desperate need of renovation just to make it to Sheraton standards let alone Luxury Collection. When I stayed there a few months ago (unfortunately the Oberoi was sold out), it seemed like the entire hotel was full of tour groups.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BenDC
I am really surprised to see the Mughal in Agra being switched to a Luxury Collection. The hotel is in desperate need of renovation just to make it to Sheraton standards let alone Luxury Collection. When I stayed there a few months ago (unfortunately the Oberoi was sold out), it seemed like the entire hotel was full of tour groups.
These changes have far less to do with the quality of the property/rooms/service than they have to do with positioning for revenue-maximization and relationship-maintenance.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:06 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
I agree with you Ben. I have not been to the soon to be new Sheraton (former Marriott) in Delhi in about 18 months or so, but I actually think the property itself is nicer than the existing (soon to be LC) Sheraton although of course there is a huge difference in the location. Anyway, as GUWonder mentioned its not about the quality of the hotels but more about the revenue. This will continue to be the case in India until there is a better supply of quality rooms, which sadly I think is decades away.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:24 pm

Agreed, I stayed there in January. While it was a good deal for the SPG points, it is not a 5-star property by international standards. As another example of this, I stayed at the Sheraton Imperial in KUL a few weeks ago, which has the Luxury Collection branding. The hotel is OK on its own merits but not "Luxury" enough to not dilute the Luxury Collection branding.

Last edited by ttjoseph; Apr 22, 2007 at 10:25 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Apr 23, 2007, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ttjoseph
Agreed, I stayed there in January. While it was a good deal for the SPG points, it is not a 5-star property by international standards. As another example of this, I stayed at the Sheraton Imperial in KUL a few weeks ago, which has the Luxury Collection branding. The hotel is OK on its own merits but not "Luxury" enough to not dilute the Luxury Collection branding.
The KUL property used to be very nice...whereas I find it difficult to believe the Mughal Agra ever was. Gob smacking - and imo brand damaging - to have that property badged as Luxury Collection.
Old May 15, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: AA, AB, AC, ..., ZZ
Hotels rebranded

Starting today, May 15, the ITC hotels are officially part of the Luxury Collection.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...propertyID=429
There are similar announcements for the other hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.