Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Metairie, New Orleans [Master Thread]

Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold

I've got a reservation in late May for the Sheraton Metairie. I'm not expecting W Poydras or FQ (where I've stayed many times), but couldn't pass up the $99/night rate when all the other NO properties are sky-high.

Has anyone else stayed at this property? It looks from the hotel website like some of the rooms have Jacuzzi tubs. Was especially curious if anyone here had any experiences with Plat upgrades at the property.
Old May 21, 2007, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Stayed here this past Friday night. Upon check-in, I asked about an upgrade, and was told I had been given a club-level room. When I asked if there were any suites available, I was told "this hotel does not have suites, but we have upgraded you to our highest quality room." I was also given vouchers for continental breakfast in the restaurant.

I have my doubts that the room I was given was of the highest quality in the hotel. The carpeting was stained, the baseboards were scuffed and marked, and the bathroom was tiny, with standard shower-tub combo. By looking at the fire-escape map on the back of the door, I was able to determine that there were significantly larger rooms at the end of the hallways (perhaps Junior Suites). Additionally, the hotel website has photos of rooms which appear much nicer than the club room I was placed in, outfitted with jacuzzi tubs. I can understand if the best rooms are fully booked, but I don't appreciate being misled by hotel staff. I arrived late in the evening, so did not bother to seek a better room, as I was checking out at 7am anyhow (and moving across to the W on Poydras, which has never failed to provide me with excellent rooms and service).

For the price, this hotel is okay, but I don't think I will seek it out again. Far too often in the summer, good deals can be had at either of the Ws. e.g., back when SPG had its "Lowest Prices of the Year" sale (I think in February), I managed to nab rooms at the W on Poydras for $109/night. If this (undoubtedly inferior) hotel is not particularly interested in being forthright with me, I see no reason to send them repeat business.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Sheraton Metairie -- Is it as bad as Trip Advisor Says?

NOW THAT THIS IS IN ITS RIGHTFUL HOME, I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP!

I have a friend whose expense account will not pay for parking. I know it's crazy, but they prefer he stay outside of town where parking is free. To "encourage" that, they refuse any expensed parking charges.

The only Sheraton in NOLA that doesn't have a parking fee is the Metairie location. I read the trip advisor reports, but I want to hear the opinions of the road warriors here on FT. Trip Advisor doesn't give it very good marks, so what do you think?

On an aside, my friend stayed at the 4 Points Metairie MSY last time he was through, and he said he'd pay for parking before staying there again. He siad it was dingy and the staff was so rude that they wouldn't even give him a receipt upon checkout because he "booked online." And the online booking vehicle was spg.com!

What interests me is that the 4 Points has BETTER trip advisor reviews than the Sheraton of late. If the Sheraton is bad, then he says he will have to fork over the parking rate. Otherwise, with his current work terriroty, he will have trouble requalifying. MSY is one city where he knows he will be and knows he can get some SPG stays. His territory is MS, LA, and AL right now, so you understand that his options are somewhat limited.

I'm sure you're wondering why he cares with such a terriroty, but since things could change in the future and SPG has been good to him, he wants to keep it if at all possible.

Please give me your thoughts on this property before he books his upcoming business trips to NOLA.

I did a search for Metairie, but duh, I was on the Hyatt forum when I did it. Habbit I guess. Anyway, obviously nothing came up when I did hence the new thread. I did a search in SPG and found a very small and old thread about this location. If mods want to merge, then fine. Otherwise, I hope someone will answer my question since my friend is staying Sunday night.

Many thanks!

Last edited by chicaloca453; Jan 16, 2008 at 2:09 pm
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Overall I have not been happy with any hotel in New Orleans. They are getting better, but service is still poor. The W French Quarter is best, but not great. I would recomend your friend either go to Hilton or Marriot with that area. MSY and BHM are the only places with SPG in his area. Maybe then do a challange with SPG when he gets out of the south.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by troyintn
Overall I have not been happy with any hotel in New Orleans. They are getting better, but service is still poor. The W French Quarter is best, but not great. I would recomend your friend either go to Hilton or Marriot with that area. MSY and BHM are the only places with SPG in his area. Maybe then do a challange with SPG when he gets out of the south.
There are 2 SPG in AL -- 1 4 pts and 1 Sheraton. The 4 Pts is in Tuscaloosa, which he will also travel to. In Northern Mississippi, he can work from Memphis. So maybe I should steer him to the Marriott in MSY.

Believe it or not, he already has 4 stays this year, all of which are in Alabama. He will also be going to Nashville and Fort Walton Beach (which has a nice 4 pts).

I'll send him the message about the new orleans properties and let him know that none are that good. He will work some from Baton Rouge, and he does like that Sheraton. Maybe that's what he should do period.

I appreciate your input.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Platinum
Hate to give a suggestion for the 'enemy' but has your friend considered moving more stays over to Hilton? I'm in the deep south as well, and as mentioned, the Starwoods properties can be few and far between in some places. I love Starwoods properties, and esp. Starpoints, but when it comes to staying in my general area (central AL), it so much easier to find Hilton properties...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 4:55 am

Just to update you guys, my friend did end up trying the Sheraton Metairie, and he really liked it. He did say that the carpet needed to be replaced but everything else was fine. He was really impressed with checkin. The agent asked him what his itinerary was for the next day, and he told her. She excused herself for a minute and came back with turn by turn directions to the place where he was having his meeting. This was really good since he's new to the area.

He said he will stay there again. He decided there over the Baton Rouge location because the Sheraton in Metairie was participating in the 1/2/3 Stay where you live promo. Baton Rouge is not.

He's headed back in a few days, and he will stay again.

And to the previous poster, he has looked at Hilton, but his big gripe with Hilton (and mine too for that matter) is the amount of points it takes to redeem points at any of the places you'd want to stay. It's a ripoff compared to Marriott, SPG, and Hyatt. 40k for a Hampton Inn at the SBA airport just because it's adjacent to Santa Barbara is highway robbery.

Thanks to his NOLA visits and working north Mississippi out of Memphis, my friend thinks he can get his SPG Platinum back as well as retain Marriott and get Holiday Inn Platinum. He'll have at least 130 hotel nights this year, and he wants to spread his stays if he can. He's off to a good start.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I stayed at this hotel over the past weekend. I was very happy with my stay. It is a pretty standard Sheraton property as far as appearance but the service was excellent. I was upgraded to the club level but since it was the weekend they just gave me vouchers for an appetizer in the evening and breakfast at the restaurant. The food was good in the restaurant but not an extensive menu and a little pricey I thought. Also, as a club level guest they gave me a code each day to access the internet so I didnt have to pay, normal price $9.99/day. Parking is also free at this property and access to I-10 is really good.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
it's my own fault

had a stay two years ago, didn't post a review but remembered the helpful front desk and the nice lobby, and booked a stay this week.

both good things are still as recalled, but i'd forgotten how incredibly loud the rooms are. each room has a little balcony with sliding glass door (to better look out at the freeway on both sides of the hotel). unfortunately, the doors are not at ALL insulated, and you can hear the traffic loudly enough that you'll wonder, as we did, whether the window is in fact open. it's not. now i remember complaining about this to the front desk two years ago. it's pretty bad, and apparently not something they intend to change. i thought last time it was just that particular--upgraded--room, but we got a 'regular' room this time and it was just as loud.

no upgrade available, said they were booked. upgrades here aren't to suites anyway, just to larger, somewhat nicer rooms. they did give a tasty welcome gift (in addition to asking at check-in if i wanted the 500 points as my platinum amenity^) of a plate of cookies, which was lovely. there was an additional issue with the 'do not disturb' sign being ignored, and some fairly clueless housekeepers, and we won't be back.

bottom line is the friendly front desk doesn't make up for the noise in the room. at least i can help someone else with this review--or, i'll help myself, when i'm headed this way again in another year or so.

edited to add--the friendly front desk might not make up for the noise in the room, but the 2000 points(!) they added to my account made up for the snafu with the housekeeper and a messed up pillow delivery. it's still not likely i'll stay here again, but they're clearly trying hard.

Last edited by karenkay; Dec 9, 2009 at 6:26 pm
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: SPG,Marriott,Hilton,Delta,US airways,Hyatt,Fairmont,American A,Priority Cub,Discovery,etc
sheraton metairie New Orleans

Anyone been at Sheraton Metairie as of late?Club lounge alright?Open daily?I was told by SPG it was .Any upgrades?Proximity to French quarter?Did you cab it over or drive.Any help appreciated.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by iamfrugal
Anyone been at Sheraton Metairie as of late?Club lounge alright?Open daily?I was told by SPG it was .Any upgrades?Proximity to French quarter?Did you cab it over or drive.Any help appreciated.

Here is some existing information on this property Sheraton Metairie

I take it you're not familiar with the area. Metairie is what I would call away from the city center. NOT close to the Downtown/French Quarter/CBD.

For what its worth if being downtown is important go with a downtown property.

Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Stayed here 2 nights last week. Was upgraded to Club Floor(7) Room was fine, modern, lounge was open and nice. The elevators open into the lounge on 7.(Keycard Access to the floor in elevator.) Overall no complaints with my stay.

It is not close to downtown, it is convenient for the airport. The drive to FQ was about 20 minutes or so.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
no update here for a couple of years....i'm considering spending one night here before moving to one of the french quarter properties....

my flight gets in around 4pm & my wife gets in on the same day around midnight so i was initially thinking of staying at the four points by the airport before moving the following day....but since this property is not too far from the airport i am considering this as well....

would appreciate any info from people who have stayed both here & at the four points msy....
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:31 am

I was going to stay here with family in late November for one night. They were renovating. We went to our grubby rooms and the rooms and hallway smelled of paint fumes. Our rooms (not renovated) were dark and small. And loud.

We left without staying. The paint fumes were our excuse to the front desk, but none of us wanted to stay. I don't have any experience with the airport Four Points.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 1:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Keyser
no update here for a couple of years....i'm considering spending one night here before moving to one of the french quarter properties....

my flight gets in around 4pm & my wife gets in on the same day around midnight so i was initially thinking of staying at the four points by the airport before moving the following day....but since this property is not too far from the airport i am considering this as well....

would appreciate any info from people who have stayed both here & at the four points msy....
I would pass on both and just stay downtown. The cab ride isn't very expensive and NOLA is an all night party.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.