Where to Stay in NY

Old Apr 10, 07, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Where to Stay in NY

Sorry if this is repetitive, but I did a search and can not find any threads. Where would the recommendation be for a room in NYC. I can't afford the St Regis, but all of the W's and others appear to be within reason. I will be going to a concert at Radio City Music Hall, but as long as I am somewhat close that will be OK. I am looking for a fun area so I am a little concerned about the tuscany and court as they appear to be a little out of the way in terms of location. Let me know what you think and as always....THANKS
Old Apr 10, 07, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Bice4,

The W Times Square and the Westin are the best choices for fun; and, location. They're both walking distance to Radio City. FYI, Radio City is located at 6th ave and 49th street.

dh
Old Apr 11, 07, 3:20 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Westin Times Square gets my vote...
Old Apr 11, 07, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Stay away from the Sheraton Manhattan. That place is a dump. The one across the street from there is a little better.
Last month I stayed at the Westin. This was quite ok. I would chose between the Westin and the W Times Square based on price.
Old Apr 11, 07, 3:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Westin Times Square gets my vote as well. Good staff, great location and nice upgrades even for us lowly Golds.
Old Apr 11, 07, 5:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, UA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Le Club Accor Silver, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by Rambuster View Post
Stay away from the Sheraton Manhattan. That place is a dump. The one across the street from there is a little better.
Rooms at the Sheraton Manhattan have had something of a facelift recently, so it's now a little nicer than the Sheraton NY and Towers across the street. But make no mistake, I agree with Rambuster; both of these hotels should be at the bottom of your NYC list.
Old Apr 11, 07, 10:42 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), Starwood LT Plat (Amb), EK Plat
Originally Posted by MikeBOS View Post
Rooms at the Sheraton Manhattan have had something of a facelift recently, so it's now a little nicer than the Sheraton NY and Towers across the street. But make no mistake, I agree with Rambuster; both of these hotels should be at the bottom of your NYC list.
Fully agree!!!
Old Apr 11, 07, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bice4 View Post
Sorry if this is repetitive, but I did a search and can not find any threads. Where would the recommendation be for a room in NYC. I can't afford the St Regis, but all of the W's and others appear to be within reason. I will be going to a concert at Radio City Music Hall, but as long as I am somewhat close that will be OK. I am looking for a fun area so I am a little concerned about the tuscany and court as they appear to be a little out of the way in terms of location. Let me know what you think and as always....THANKS
The Tuscany and the Court are the quiet places to stay, but just three blocks from Grand Central, so they're by no means out-of-the-way. (A few days in the city, and I'm ready for quiet.) I really like them. The W at Union Square is also nice, with some interesting things nearby and good transportation options on the subway.
Old Apr 11, 07, 4:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior View Post
The Tuscany and the Court are the quiet places to stay, but just three blocks from Grand Central, so they're by no means out-of-the-way.
Couldn't agree more. The W Court and The Tuscany has the largest SPG rooms in NYC, they are located on 39th and Lex, so around 10 minutes from Radio City music hall. They are also substantially cheaper than W/Westin Time Square.

My favourite in NYC for sure, I have always been upgraded to a suite as a SPG Plat at these hotels

And I concur with the other members who tells you to avoid the Sheraton Hotel and Towers like the plague. That place is a dump!
Old Apr 11, 07, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
IMO, The W Union Square is the only hotel that consistently delivers what is advertised.

I love the location of the Court and Tuscany, but find their renovations to be along the same lines as the W City Centre in Chicago, and I'm not a fan.
Old Apr 11, 07, 11:09 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I am writing this from the W New York (Lexington). What a dump!

I reserved a day or two ago: king bed nonsmoking. Arrived tonight and was offered "queen smoking."

The best she could do for nonsmoking was a room with two twin beds. And the room is small and sorely in need of a facelift.

I called a manager to ask why my room request was ignored on both counts. He explained that they are full. I asked, "don't you get a list of Golds and Plats who are arriving to make sure that satisfactory rooms are held ahead of time?" He said they do. I asked a few more questions and learned that only one floor, of about 16 or so, is smoking. I also learned that of 600+ rooms, only 60 are twin beds. I think I got shafted pretty good. Plus, in speaking with him, I got a heaping serving of "W arrogance."

I made a res for tomorrow night at Le Parker Méridien. I hope that works out better! Suggestions for next week's stay? Midtown location is preferred.
Old Apr 11, 07, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by andymo99 View Post

I made a res for tomorrow night at Le Parker Méridien.
I'm sure you're aware of this, but as a reminder to all, Le Parker Meridien does not participate in the SPG program.
Old Apr 12, 07, 11:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by andymo99 View Post
I am writing this from the W New York (Lexington). What a dump!

I reserved a day or two ago: king bed nonsmoking. Arrived tonight and was offered "queen smoking."

The best she could do for nonsmoking was a room with two twin beds. And the room is small and sorely in need of a facelift.

I called a manager to ask why my room request was ignored on both counts. He explained that they are full. I asked, "don't you get a list of Golds and Plats who are arriving to make sure that satisfactory rooms are held ahead of time?" He said they do. I asked a few more questions and learned that only one floor, of about 16 or so, is smoking. I also learned that of 600+ rooms, only 60 are twin beds. I think I got shafted pretty good. Plus, in speaking with him, I got a heaping serving of "W arrogance."

I made a res for tomorrow night at Le Parker Méridien. I hope that works out better! Suggestions for next week's stay? Midtown location is preferred.
I try to avoid the W New York after reading many horror stories about the hotel. It seems to be one of the last SPG hotels to get full in NYC so if the choice is between the Sheraton H&T or Manhattan, I always choose the W NY. I have stayed there 5 times and I've always been lucky as Gold (haven't stayed there since I became Plat). 3 of the times they have offered me to buy up to a suite for 50 bucks or 80 bucks a night, which I have always taken, the other 2 times I was upgraded to a suite.

Again, I always stay at the W Court or the Tuscany in NYC. The rooms are 400 sqft to begin with, so you can't go wrong. The people over there are a lot friendlier and the prices are decent
Old Apr 12, 07, 11:20 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Thanks for the NYC advice. As for Meridien, I am going to use tonight as a way to get an additional activity for a Delta promotion, so I'll live w/o SPG participation.

Will try some of the other suggestions for next week. Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 07, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
NYC Hotel? Anywhere but Sheraton Manhattan

I just returned from a 3-night stay this weekend at the Sheraton Manhattan.

Although the SPG website is touting renovations, I'm not sure where the renovations were, as the tiny rooms had tired furnishings, old CRT TV, and bathroom had peeling paint. I couldn't even control the room temp, as the thermostat did not work. OK, maybe the carpet and bed covers looked newish.

The lobby area shoehorned an area for several PCs, but free internet access was limited to about 5 minutes at a time. They could've used this space to make the lobby more spacious, as it seems chaotic when the hotel is crowded.

Also, I was on the 19th floor and the hotel must've rented several rooms to a group (Clampett family reunion?), as there were constant talking, opening/closing doors, etc. into the night. Conversations in the hallway and adjoining rooms were easily heard. I had to call security past midnight on the second night as people congregated in the elevator foyer and hallways. On the third/last night, they were at it again past 1am, but I was too tired to call security.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: