Where to Stay in NY

Old May 18, 07, 4:07 pm

Programs: mileage plus
i would recommend the westin times square stayed in it during christmas. its handy and right next to subway station (but suppose you get that pretty much everywhere in nyc). our first room we were in was next to elevator which was a pain cos you heard it all the time.

was upgraded before the end of the trip (as platinum member) to a suite and the room was nice.

before going for christmas we were trying to decide between sheraton times sqaure or westin but glad we went with the westin. and plus got plenty of points for our stay
Old Apr 24, 08, 12:49 am

Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers or Four Points Chelsea?

I'm trying to choose between the Sheraton Hotels & Towers and the Four Points Chelsea. The Sheraton Manhattan seems like it's out of the question due to many horrible reviews on FT.

The Four Points has free internet, water, apparently more updated and doesn't attract the huge tourist groups (e.g. from cruise ships) but are the rooms too small? We'll have three people in the room (2 adults, 1 child). I am SPG Gold so I'm not expecting an upgrade but it would be nice. I will be using points so cost isn't relevant.

What hotel is superior? Any advice is really appreciated.
Old Apr 24, 08, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood LPP+A, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Bice4 View Post
Sorry if this is repetitive, but I did a search and can not find any threads. Where would the recommendation be for a room in NYC. I can't afford the St Regis, but all of the W's and others appear to be within reason. I will be going to a concert at Radio City Music Hall, but as long as I am somewhat close that will be OK. I am looking for a fun area so I am a little concerned about the tuscany and court as they appear to be a little out of the way in terms of location. Let me know what you think and as always....THANKS
First, the W-Court and W-Tuscany really are not all that far from Times Square. It's 3 blocks from Grand Central Station. And having never been a "W" sort of person (I'm much more of a Westin person), I was VERY pleasantly surprised by the W-Court hotel. It's still a little too cool and hip for me (and no business center) but the service was absolutely phenomenal, they made everyone there feel like their most valued guest, and the rooms are MUCH larger than most other SPG properties in Manhattan. I would stay there again because they were just that good.

But why not try out the brand-spanking-new Four Points Soho and then come back and tell us all about it as one of the first guests? Their rates, last I looked, were fairly good, and they seem quite eager to please as they don't yet have established clientele.
Old Apr 24, 08, 9:12 am

The W Court and Tuscany are the only Ws I can stand. (I've been to about 30 Ws and find them so full of poseurs that I can hardly consider them to be hotels at all - rather glorified bar scenes for the black-clad. Enough rant.) The Court and Tuscany are in a nice quiet neighborhood (for Midtown). Really peaceful.*

The Sheraton Manhattan is horrid. The New York Hotel and Towers treats regular guests okay, but it's nothing special, aside from location and a nice gym. (The Manhattan's gym is just dreadful.)

* To be fair, the W Union Square is a good hotel in a nice location and the bar scene is 'off to the side', so it's tolerable. But I like the Tuscany/Court location better. Union Square is usually quite pricey.
Old Apr 24, 08, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by sinfonia View Post
But why not try out the brand-spanking-new Four Points Soho and then come back and tell us all about it as one of the first guests? Their rates, last I looked, were fairly good, and they seem quite eager to please as they don't yet have established clientele.
Is the Four Points SoHo open? I entered my dates on SPG.com and by the hotel it says "Opening August 31, 2008."
Old Apr 25, 08, 1:27 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by ewick12 View Post
Is the Four Points SoHo open? I entered my dates on SPG.com and by the hotel it says "Opening August 31, 2008."
No, but they had been saying it was going to open in mid April. It wasn't until then that they updated the website to say Aug 31. I would guess that sinfonia was unaware of the recently announced delay.
Old Apr 25, 08, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by ewick12 View Post
I'm trying to choose between the Sheraton Hotels & Towers and the Four Points Chelsea. The Sheraton Manhattan seems like it's out of the question due to many horrible reviews on FT.

The Four Points has free internet, water, apparently more updated and doesn't attract the huge tourist groups (e.g. from cruise ships) but are the rooms too small? We'll have three people in the room (2 adults, 1 child). I am SPG Gold so I'm not expecting an upgrade but it would be nice. I will be using points so cost isn't relevant.

What hotel is superior? Any advice is really appreciated.
i cant comment on the SHT but just returned from the 4P. I am SPG Plat and only got a standard room as all others were full, no special treatment or welcome whatsoever. I ended up on the 16th floor (SPG floor) and yes the room is VERY small. I can confirm the free water (one small bottle of Poland Spring per day) as well as the free internet (wired or rather weak wireless signal). Coffee is also available in the room. I would not recommend sharing with 3, it can be very cramped. The bathroom is also very small. Dont get me wrong, it is ok but certainly far from being as hip as some may make it. The bar and the food are mediocre, the staff are mixed (some extremely grumpy and uncaring, others very outgoing), but it certainly is a good enough place to rest your head for a couple of hours.
BTW, there are NO protesters currently, but signs on the opposite building saying stuff like "Shame on 4p"...quite bizarre...
Old Apr 25, 08, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Bice4 View Post
Sorry if this is repetitive, but I did a search and can not find any threads. Where would the recommendation be for a room in NYC....
Are you serious that you "can not find any threads?"

I did a search, using the "Search this forum" feature, "Advanced," put "New York" in keyword box, and selected "Titles only."

This turned up 185 threads with "New York" in the title on the Starwood forum. From those, you can select the ones with the most promising titles. (This will NOT turn up threads with "NY," "NYC," etc. in the title -- that would require additional searches.)

I also recommend using TripAdvisor -- www.tripadvisor.com . Their reviews are more systematized, i.e., all the reviews of a given property are in one place (not scattered over dozens or hundreds of threads like FlyerTalk), they use a numeric rating system plus written review, and they provide ranked lists of hotels. It's much easier and quicker to use for choosing hotels than FT.
Old Apr 26, 08, 4:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Just spent 2 weeks at the 4P Chelsea - great service from everyone. Lovelovelove the great selection of newspapers in the morning (WSJ *and* NYT). Rates were favorable (< $300/nt) and they even did a 600 pt bonus on top of 250 plat bonus.

Restaurant is a little short-staffed, so don't expect to be in/out for a quick breakfast.
Old May 4, 08, 5:51 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, HH DIA, MR, UA 1k
NY with 4 kids

My wife and I want to spend a long weekend in NY with our kids 15(g), 10(g), 5(b), 3(b). What is the best hotel for this?

Figured that we'd need 2 rooms (girls in one boys in another), unless there are 2 room suites.

I am 3 stays from Plat. I am not opposed to staying in NJ and taking the train in.

Thanks
Old May 4, 08, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

personally the only starwoods id stay at would be four points chelsea and st regis.

virtuoso (details in lux hotels and amex forums) offers upgrade at time of booking at w union square and st regis, among other benefits.
Old May 6, 08, 9:09 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
i just spent 3 nights at the w lexington and the remodeled rooms are nice although can be very small
Old May 7, 08, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K; CO Plat; SPG Plat (yay!); Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by rapsody2003 View Post
i would recommend the westin times square stayed in it during christmas. its handy and right next to subway station (but suppose you get that pretty much everywhere in nyc). our first room we were in was next to elevator which was a pain cos you heard it all the time.

was upgraded before the end of the trip (as platinum member) to a suite and the room was nice.

before going for christmas we were trying to decide between sheraton times sqaure or westin but glad we went with the westin. and plus got plenty of points for our stay

I would have to second that emotion. I spend 3 nights at the NY Westin & had a lovely time. The executive rooms were large (for NYC) and having an IMac in the room was a definate + for me. The breakfast in the club lounge was great - some hot items; most were cold; but all was filling - a great way to start the day in NYC. Transportation via subway was super close.

I have stayed at the Sheraton Manhattan, and the Sheraton New York as well, and IMHO, the Westin blew those two properties out of the water.
Old May 9, 08, 1:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Sheraton NY Hotel and Towers (3 nights on points and a paid Sunday night which included brekie for approx $260). I am a Gold and was a little worried after reading some of the reviews on FT as well as Tripadvisor. I am happy to report that our stay went well. It was not the nicest starwoods proerty I have stayed at but overall the stay was fine.

I do not know if we were upgraded at all but we were given a whellchair accessible room on the 40th floor an SPG floor (the high floor is probably considered an upgrade. The hotel was solout the Sat night we checked in so I knew there was no hope of an upgrade. The room certainly seemed larger then some of the descriptions I have read on FT and sizewise seemed to be about the same size as a typical room at most Sheratons.

Some complaints: very loud, we heard both street noise and noise from other rooms; furniture definately showing signs of wear although the bathroom looked to be fairly recently renovated or at least in good condition(of course this may just be the room we were in); everything was expensive - our 'included' breakfast, which they initially charged us for, was approx $70 (a quick call to a very pleasant customer service rep this morning got these charges reversed) cup of coffee in the same restaurant was $5.50 but these are presumably typical NY prices.

On the upside: everyone I dealt with was pleasant and a couple of staff were downright friendly; the location is superb - great midtwon location; multiple subway stops, restaurants, cafes, central park, times square etc were all within walking distance.

Like I said above, all in all the stay was pretty good. I would definately return on points but there are probably better midtown options if paying for your nights
Old May 11, 08, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC E,Spg Plat,HH Dia,Hertz Pres Cir, US Air Gold,CO gold
GBGflyer if I were you I would try the Suites on the Hudson! You can get the ferry 100ft from the front door of the hotel for $6 and be in the city in 4 mins. The rooms are huge and are all suites and half the price of the city. Its perfect with kids!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: