Where to Stay in NY

Old Apr 17, 07, 10:33 pm

Programs: UAL:1K, DL:Plat, CO:Plat, HH:Diamond, SPG:Plat
Originally Posted by ger3sf View Post
I just returned from a 3-night stay this weekend at the Sheraton Manhattan.

Although the SPG website is touting renovations, I'm not sure where the renovations were, as the tiny rooms had tired furnishings, old CRT TV, and bathroom had peeling paint. I couldn't even control the room temp, as the thermostat did not work. OK, maybe the carpet and bed covers looked newish.
I just returned from a 2 night stay this past wknd and thought the EXACT same thing. I was expecting something a little better. My thermostat was broken as well. Unfortunately I am headed back tomorrow for 2 more nights and only did not cancel bc I want the 3x points.
Old Apr 17, 07, 10:36 pm

for SPG hotels, I would go with Westin Time Square or W Time Square. My third choice would be W Union Square. Stay away from the other Ws.
Old Apr 17, 07, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
Belong to any hotel programs??

Marriott Marquis right there in the heart of Times Square gets my vote!!! They gave me an upgraded corner room overlooking TS for a reasonable price about this time of year a couple years ago. And I was only 2nd tier premier in their program at the time.
Old Apr 18, 07, 1:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 00flyer00 View Post
for SPG hotels, I would go with Westin Time Square or W Time Square. My third choice would be W Union Square. Stay away from the other Ws.
What's your problem with the Tuscany and The Court? Rooms too big??
Old Apr 19, 07, 8:03 am

I've switched to the 4 Pts Chelsea, which has nice rooms. I work in Chelsea, so whenever I'm going to be working late and just need a room to crash in, I go there. The rooms are decent sized, the sitting chairs are comfy, the desk is big, bathrooms are clean, and it's close to my job, so I like it. Never had a problem there. And the Whole Foods on 7th is very close, so I can stop there for a small snack.
Old Apr 19, 07, 9:09 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I've hopped around NYC a bit last week and this:

**W New York (541 Lex): Tiny room with twin beds. Badly in need of some remodeling. Couldn't be accommodated in a room with grown-up beds unless I would accept smoking, despite my res for king non-smoking and Gold status. Checked out after one night.

**Le Parker Meridien: Awesome upgrade to a nice room with somewhat separate sitting area. This was based on my SPG status, as per the receptionist. No SPG or other points whatsoever. That is the only drawback to this one.

**Westin Time Square: Not much of an upgrade available, but very nice room with good workspace. My room included the "triple points" promo, though those points didn't post with the base points.

**Sheraton Manhattan at Times Square: Pretty much a dump. I was woken up in the morning by a junior high or high school group on my floor. They weren't really being loud, but the walls are paper thin. I got a sizable room, though really nothing special. Badly in need of a remodel/update. I stayed on triple points promo, which posted with the base points.

**Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers: I dropped my bag off in the morning, and the lobby was a chaotic scene with (seemingly) an entire cruise-ship worth of baggage spilling all over the place. I was told that the Queen Mary arrived, and this hotel seemed to get its share of pax. I returned at night to check in. No real upgrade availalble. The room was fine: better than the
Sheraton Manhattan at Times Square, and far better than the scene in the lobby!

By the way, all rates were high: in the high $300s and $400s. All hotels seemed to have very high occupancy.

I am not sure what I will choose next week. I am likely to continue going for the Triple Points promo, which limits me to the hotels shown at this site. Would love to check out W's Court and Tuscany based on reviews here, but triple points is too good to give up for now, especially as I am spending very little time in the hotel rooms.
Old Apr 19, 07, 10:47 pm

Upgrades when booking w/points

I'll be staying at Sheraton Manhattan on the half-points promo that ended a couple months ago. I'm platinum and I'm wondering if that means I'm eligible for/have a chance for an upgrade. Does anyone know what the policy/likelihood is? Maybe they don't give upgrades if you book with points (especially if you booked using the 1/2 points offer?) Thanks!

atjsfo
Old Apr 19, 07, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by atjsfo View Post
I'll be staying at Sheraton Manhattan on the half-points promo that ended a couple months ago. I'm platinum and I'm wondering if that means I'm eligible for/have a chance for an upgrade. Does anyone know what the policy/likelihood is? Maybe they don't give upgrades if you book with points (especially if you booked using the 1/2 points offer?) Thanks!

If you are platinum, you are supposed to get the best available room period, regardless of how you pay for it. As far as how the Sheraton Manhattan follows SPG guidelines, someone else will have to answer that.
Old Apr 19, 07, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA PLT (MR Gld; Hertz PC), AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
Couldn't agree more. The W Court and The Tuscany has the largest SPG rooms in NYC, they are located on 39th and Lex, so around 10 minutes from Radio City music hall. They are also substantially cheaper than W/Westin Time Square.

My favourite in NYC for sure, I have always been upgraded to a suite as a SPG Plat at these hotels

And I concur with the other members who tells you to avoid the Sheraton Hotel and Towers like the plague. That place is a dump!
In my experience (monthly @ Tuscany), the Tuscany is more expensive than the Court or the Westin Times Square or the W/NY @ 51st St. I haven't compared it to the W Union Square (which is the hot & trendy one now).
Old Apr 20, 07, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by CO FF View Post
In my experience (monthly @ Tuscany), the Tuscany is more expensive than the Court or the Westin Times Square or the W/NY @ 51st St. I haven't compared it to the W Union Square (which is the hot & trendy one now).
I was referring to the W Time Square, not the W NY on Lex, sorry for taking the shortcut writing W/Westin Time Square instead of W Time Square and Westin Time Square.

I stay at the Court or the Tuscany maybe twice a month and I have a different experience.

My general impression is that this is the cheapest to most expensive SPGs in Manhattan (I'm excluding the FP Chelsea)

Starting with the cheapest:

Sheraton Hotel and Towers and Sheraton Manhattan
W New York
W The Court
W The Tuscany
Westin Time Square
W Time Square
W Union Square
St Regis

I did 5 tests on spg.com in May and June, both mid week and weekends, the only hotels switching places on the list are the Westin and W Time Square.

But of course prices can vary
Old Apr 20, 07, 4:20 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
The best SPG choice in Manhattan in my opinion is the W Union Square. Top flight service and nice rooms as well. Location is fine and easily accessible via multiple subway lines. And it is not always the most expensive, especially if you take advantage of the ongoing 20% off promotion for two nights.
Old Apr 20, 07, 4:22 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
Westin Time Square W Time Square
No, it's TIMES Square, not TIME Square. The area is named after the newspaper, the New York TIMES.
Old Apr 20, 07, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by DCBob View Post
No, it's TIMES Square, not TIME Square. The area is named after the newspaper, the New York TIMES.
Sorry, thanks for correcting me. I see that many posters have done the same mistake...
Old May 18, 07, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Mrs. pbiflyer just returned from a trip to the W Union Square. Raved about the hotel and staff. The staff was extremely attentive, friendly, and helpful.

Didn't like the Underbar so much. But even then, staying there gets you in a special entrance, allowing you to skip the line and cover charge.
Old May 18, 07, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I've had a little different experience from tommy777 as far as prices, starting with the cheapest:

4 Pts Chelsea (although on a per room sq ft basis, its one of the most expensive)
Sheraton Manhattan - you can frequently get AAA rates here
Sheraton NYHT
Sheraton Russell (I know it's no longer there, but when I look at this hierarchy it reminds me of what a loss it was)
W New York
Westin Times Square
W Times Square (given how much nicer the Westin is I've never understood why it's cheaper)
and all the rest are an undifferentiated mass (only once have the Court/Tuscany been close to/cheaper than all of these)

I usually stay at the SNYHT because it's closest to my office and I like the breakfast in the lounge. I too have been victim to giant tour groups tromping around at all hours of the night. They should have a businessman's SPG floor; if you stay on that floor you agree not make any noise between midnight and 6am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: