Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
As of June 2023, evening service is in the 2nd floor Lobby Lounge, and breakfast is served in The Cafe - main hotel restaurant - for all Plat+ Elite guests.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 3:40 am

Every stay I had in the HK Sheraton towers section hotel I have been upgraded to an executive suite with courtyard view and only book standard towers room. I have stayed there on 3 trips this year and it was very enjoyable. The attendants at the towers lounge was very nice and courteous. fyi, I am only gold elite..
Old May 19, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Does anyone think this Sheraton will up its game for regular Platinum (non Towers) stays now that there’s more obvious competition from the Marriott properties for our qualifying nights and points redemptions.

I was going to redeem my Cat 5 certificate here this weekend but after reading the comments and advice here I switched my choice to a points redemption at the JW scoring a suite and great lounge access for evening drinks (four hours), harbour views and quality breakfast.

My understanding is that outstanding certificates will be converted to points come programme merger in August. If they give us 12k SPG points (or MR equivalent) for the Cat 5 certificate then it only cost me 3k more for the JW and its vastly superior Plat experience compared to the non-Towers Sheraton.

Will the Sheraton rethink its regular Platinum experience I wonder.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:27 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ftrichard

Doubt it, they were not the best at recognising status fifteen years ago, since then competition has increased but so have the rates.

Old May 20, 2018, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
My understanding is that outstanding certificates will be converted to points come programme merger in August. If they give us 12k SPG points (or MR equivalent) for the Cat 5 certificate then it only cost me 3k more for the JW and its vastly superior Plat experience compared to the non-Towers Sheraton.
All the big, expensive city Marriotts and esp. JWs (London, SF, HK, etc.) are probably odds on favorites to go up in category post-8/1 (at least to the new cat 6 @50K, possibly cat 7@60K)
Old May 20, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Competition was always there. Aug 1 doesn’t change anything.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: Some
Does anyone think this Sheraton will up its game for regular Platinum (non Towers) stays now that there’s more obvious competition from the Marriott properties for our qualifying nights and points redemptions.

I was going to redeem my Cat 5 certificate here this weekend but after reading the comments and advice here I switched my choice to a points redemption at the JW scoring a suite and great lounge access for evening drinks (four hours), harbour views and quality breakfast.

If anything I would expect the opposite, as all Marriott Golds will now be Platinum too so Plats will be even more common. Hong Kong is hardly rammed with mid-range Marriotts anyway.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Parsimonious towards plats is first word that comes to mind at this property. But they make so much money here because of location they do not feel need to cater to us.

They will undergo a big REnovation hopefully soon hq execs told me. Not sure when but needed . I have stayed here 4-6 times a year for 15 years but have switched to JW last 6 months .Far better property esp when redeeming points

Staying at JW again in 2 weeks

Will try STR when it opens but dont love location

Jw Far better value .
​​​​​​
Old May 21, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
If anything I would expect the opposite, as all Marriott Golds will now be Platinum too so Plats will be even more common. Hong Kong is hardly rammed with mid-range Marriotts anyway.
This is a common view. I look at it the other way. All those SPG Plats suddenly able to swamp Marriott properties (like the JW in HK). I reckon it will even out and we won't really notice a difference in lounge occupancy levels after the initial curiosity wears off because the flow will go both ways. I mean, the Sheraton lounge lost me last weekend and the Marriott one gained me. Given the Sheraton's reputation it's unlikely it will gain any followers from Marriott so this is why I wonder if it will up its game. Soon, these discussions will all fall by the wayside...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Another lackluster stay here, I think I will start looking for other options. Upgraded to suite prior to arrival from my reserved king bed room. Subsequently, upgrade taken away and then dumped into the lowest category twin bed room. Had to call Plat Concierge who called hotel and sent a pretty terse follow up to get a king bed room assigned and the upgrade honored. Upon arrival, denied the upgrade that was taken away, but offered a king bed harbor view on a low floor. Asked for courtesy upgrade to Towers regular room (not suite) in lieu of the suite upgrade being taken back, told no unless I pay. FD agent refused to consult manager, made a comment that "too many foreign Platinums keep asking for Towers room upgrade" and it was obvious the hotel made absolutely no attempt to get me the best possible non-suite room in either building to make up for taking my suite away - and it was apparent they are overbooking suites, meaning they are leaving a suite in for-sale inventory after processing an upgrade, and if it sells, they are taking the upgrade away, which creates an almost guaranteed negative experience vs processing upgrades on day of arrival in an appropriate priority and then removing the room from inventory. At check-in I was too tired to bother going on the app and checking for standard suites and continuing the discussion with them, it's much easier for me to take my business elsewhere, especially now that Lifetime Platinum has removed any strong incentive for me to book the SPG or Marriott brands as I no longer have anything to lose.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
All the big, expensive city Marriotts and esp. JWs (London, SF, HK, etc.) are probably odds on favorites to go up in category post-8/1 (at least to the new cat 6 @50K, possibly cat 7@60K)
Having stayed at both Sheraton and JW HK I am surprised that both will be Cat 6 after 1 August. Sheraton should only be a Cat 5 at most especially with the smaller rooms. Using Points JW would be much better value.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:13 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Having stayed at both Sheraton and JW HK I am surprised that both will be Cat 6 after 1 August. Sheraton should only be a Cat 5 at most especially with the smaller rooms. Using Points JW would be much better value.
I agree. That change really surprised me.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I thought the JW Marriott was also going up in points redemption?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ralphs
I thought the JW Marriott was also going up in points redemption?
JW is going from 45K to 50K. Sheraton is going from 36K to 50K.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by margarita girl
That's way outside the realm of a realistic valuation for this hotel - especially with the JW at the same rate. Take away the fancy shampoo and the regular rooms at the Sheraton are really (Asian) Four Points-ish.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I really like the location of the Sheraton HK and I enjoyed our stay at the towers, but I think the Hyatt Regency TST will be my go to for redemption in the area after the change.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Ah got it, they are both going up but the Sheraton is going up way more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.