FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   When do you need to carry the spg membership card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/675067-when-do-you-need-carry-spg-membership-card.html)

ktjan Mar 25, 2007 2:35 am

When do you need to carry the spg membership card?

I still haven't received my spg platinum membership card. On the other hand, I just can't think of any situations I would need to use the card anywhere. I'm going to Beijing in two weeks and will be staying at the St. Regis. I'm pretty sure they don't need me to show my card during my stay for any reasons. Any thoughts?

bigjim Mar 25, 2007 8:08 am

If for some reason, the hotel's system doesn't show you as Platinum, you might run into some difficulties in receiving your platinum benefits, particularly overseas...

If I were you I'd request another card on-line and print out the temporary card there.

sbtinme Mar 25, 2007 8:14 am

I've been Starwood Platinum since day one of Starwood's existence. (I was top tier with the former Sheraton SCI program and medium tier with the old Westin Premier program, as well).

I cannot recall being asked once in the past ten years for my card at any point. I haven't carried my SPG card in at least 6 or 7 years.

Perhaps others have run into glitches whereby they needed their card, but I never have.

transit Mar 25, 2007 8:55 am

IF dining or spending money at any Strarwood location and your not a guest you must present your card to get points for dollars spent.

imverge Mar 25, 2007 9:23 am

Originally Posted by sbtinme (Post 7465663)
I've been Starwood Platinum since day one of Starwood's existence.

I cannot recall being asked once in the past ten years for my card at any point. I haven't carried my SPG card in at least 6 or 7 years.

Same here.

mikeinseattle Mar 25, 2007 11:31 am

At the Alladdin you will need your card to skip the lineup at the buffet (can be very long in some cases).

Mike

NBSPGMEMBER Mar 25, 2007 11:48 am

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Why is it such a pain for some to carry the card, why is this such a great and profound decision? Why are membership cards issued if they're not needed? If one doesn't want it in his wallet, just put it in you suitcase and leave it there. IF you need it, you'll have it. Simple.

tjk1976 Mar 25, 2007 2:06 pm

Getting your SPG Card from *wood seems to involve more art than science in my experience. This year, I received two separate packages containing cards, but no luggage tags (the existence of which I learned about here) in either.

Although the card isn't required at check-in (since your SPG number should already be associated with your reservation), I always put my SPG Plat card on the check-in desk, along with my id and credit card, just as a subtle reminder to the clerk. Doing so seems to work well and invariably results in a “Thank you, Mr. tjk1976, I have confirmed your SPG number on the reservation and we have you in a lovely <fill in the blank> suite.”

Incidentally, SPG Plat cards are technically no longer accepted to bypass lines at the Aladdin Spice Market buffet. I was there recently and was informed of this, but I still persuaded them to let us through. It seemed like a bit of an illogical policy change, but there you have it. (This topic in general has been discussed at lenght on the dedicated Aladdin thread). :)

sbtinme Mar 25, 2007 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by tjk1976 (Post 7467140)

Incidentally, SPG Plat cards are technically no longer accepted to bypass lines at the Aladdin Spice Market buffet. I was there recently and was informed of this, but I still persuaded them to let us through. It seemed like a bit of an illogical policy change, but there you have it.

While I hate to see that "unofficial" benefit go away (since I've benefitted from it time and again), to be frank, I've long been surprised they continued to offer that privilege to Plat members. The Spice Market buffet is among the best in Vegas and I'll not look forward to standing in the line with the great unwashed on my next visit.:(

ldsant Mar 25, 2007 2:40 pm

I've only been asked for my card once and that was at the W in New York City. Still didn't receive any Platinum benefits even after showing the card. :D They said it was for "security purposes."

intheairagain Mar 25, 2007 2:57 pm

Never been asked once...

psyflyer Mar 25, 2007 3:36 pm

If for some reason, the hotel's system doesn't show you as Platinum, you might run into some difficulties in receiving your platinum benefits, particularly overseas...

If I were you I'd request another card on-line and print out the temporary card there.

this is actually a very good advice.
I became plat last year and during my first stay as a Plat I was @ Westin in SYD. I discovered my status was showing as Gold when I tried to get into the Club Lounge. Lurker sorted it out, but it did take a day and couldnt get in the Club Lounge.

Captain Canuck Mar 25, 2007 3:50 pm

I have never been asked for the card, however I did need to show it a few weeks ago at the Le Meredian in Montreal, where my SPG number (and hence plat benefits) somehow did not make it onto the reservation.

The clerk seemed confused when I produced it, and did not change my inital room...until I asked;)

CanadianX Mar 25, 2007 7:50 pm

I only ever used it to skip the line at the aladdin buffet. Which is really why i wish i had one.

I just went online and asked for a replacement, because i still haven't received my new card. I should requalify for platinum when i check out tomorrow... maybe i'll get the 2008 card before the 2007.

Fly AA J all the way Mar 28, 2007 5:48 pm

Going to the bar at the W LA w/o being a guest or on the list and cutting any line.