Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sydney: which hotel? 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney: which hotel? 2007 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:10 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I've loved the Westin in the past, but now I'm in love with the Park Hyatt Sydney, the service is outstanding, the food great, the views of the Opera House fantastic and the roof pool and hot tub looks out onto the harbor and in the shadows of Harbor bridge. I've defected (at least in Sydney)
I hear you loud and clear and appreciate the thoughts
There is a big difference in cost between both properties
Agree the Park Hyatt Sydney remains one of my favorite properties in the world too.
Regretfully the Westin replaced the once comfortable Heavenly Beds with hard as rock mattresses though same may actually prefer that to be fair
That problem was recoverable potentially by adding some foam or feather toppers but the real issue is their nearby neighbor a nightclub who has booming music till 4 AM.
That shook my room and headboard even on the 29th floor two years ago I left and never came back
The Westin in many ways was the hotel of my dreams when it first opened
Sadly they don't seem to have a plan in place to renovate without damaging the architectural integrity and solving legally or through mediation their nightlife neighbor
The Westin Sydney has always been my first choice tied with Park Hyatt Sydney but have since switched to other brands and programs with the uncertainty
of lifetime SPG status on the Marriott side of the equation
Otherwise a great program transition early on^

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 17, 2016 at 4:28 pm
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Best location in Sydney?

I am currently booked at the Sheraton on the Park in April. The Westin, Marriott at Circular Quay and Pier One are all available on my travel dates and they are all similar in cash price or points. Does anyone have a clear favorite? Trip Advisor rates them all about the same, so if you have any inside scoop for me, I would most grateful!
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 25, 2017 at 10:02 pm
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
SYD harbor Marriott - standard Marriott, nothing fancy but fine. However, perfect location.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
My only experience in Sydney (other than way back in 1971) was three years ago at the Marriott at Circular Quay which was excellent. Stayed there a couple of nights before embarking on an RCL cruise and the location was so convenient to the ship that we simply walked with all our luggage from the hotel to the ship.

The room was very nice and the lounge (which may have changed since then) was great fro breakfast and evening snacks. I wouldn't hesitate to go back there.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 25, 2017 at 10:01 pm
Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I'm here now... have been staying in a variety of the hotels here and walking around the rest.

In the past month I've stayed at:
Sheraton on the Park: as it says it's near a pretty park. It is also next to Pitt Street with shopping. Some restaurants in the vicinity and a train station next door. Hotel is excellent. Large rooms and great club lounge. Nice spa and gym too.

Hyatt Regency: it's in Darling Harbour. Lots of restaurants nearby on the Harbour and in Barangaroo. Many more than near the Sheraton. Also the Harbour is quite pretty and walkable. A more touristic feel to this area than the Sheraton however and the hotel while decent is not as nice as the Sheraton. It does have an nice club lounge however and excellent views (better views than the Sheraton - of the harbour and sunsets).

Hilton: right nearby the Sheraton (two blocks)? Excellent breakfast spread included for diamonds but otherwise not a fan of this property. Small rooms and slow internet. No views. Avoid. Hyatt and Sheraton are better.

Radisson Hotel & Suites: On the doorstep to Chinatown. Lots of delicious Asian food nearby. But the hotel is not in the class of the Sheraton. Avoid.

I didn't stay but walked by:
Westin: close to the Sheraton. Would only suggest if cheaper than the Sheraton as the park makes the area by the Sheraton feel slightly nicer.

Sydney Harbour Marriott at Circular Quay: In the very touristic area of Sydney. Nice views and surely if you're here for the first time on holiday this could be a good area to stay. But it is touristic. If the hard product is nice I'd say this could be a good option alongside the Sheraton.

Pier One Marriott: This hotel is in an isolated but pretty location - out of the way. I walked by and there is nothing nearby. Personally I would avoid as it would take too long to walk out of this corner and get to restaurants. However, if views and isolation are important (i.e., being away from tourists immediately outside the hotel) then this could be an option.

My favorite so far is the Sheraton (especially if you'e a Platinum and have access to the Club). Although I'd give that Marriott in the Quay a try if you can find it at decent rates and have Plat status there.

If you are here long enough - perhaps split your stay... doing 1/2 Marriott and 1/2 Sheraton.

You could also read this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ed-thread.html Moderators... likely this thread should be merged into the larger one
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:48 am

I have been looking at SPG rates for Sydney for late November to early December (11/25 - 12/4), and noticed that both the Westin and Sheraton are going for ~500 AUD.

Marriott, Hilton, and Hyatt are all charging around the same rates.

Are hotels in Sydney usually this expensive? Or, is there some sort of major event going on around that time?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:58 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Summer in Sydney and Cruise Ship Season.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:33 am

Has anyone with SPG Gold linked with Marriott Gold had luck asking for lounge access at either the Westin or Sheraton? Thinking of booking either property in Feb 2018. Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by nesnith
I have been looking at SPG rates for Sydney for late November to early December (11/25 - 12/4), and noticed that both the Westin and Sheraton are going for ~500 AUD.

Marriott, Hilton, and Hyatt are all charging around the same rates.

Are hotels in Sydney usually this expensive? Or, is there some sort of major event going on around that time?
I'm looking at rates in mid-Feb and it's even worse - around AUD$600/night, if not higher. What's going on, Sydney??!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:58 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by horizontal
I'm looking at rates in mid-Feb and it's even worse - around AUD$600/night, if not higher. What's going on, Sydney??!
Scroll up two posts...
Old Dec 21, 2017, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by jonlai9
Has anyone with SPG Gold linked with Marriott Gold had luck asking for lounge access at either the Westin or Sheraton? Thinking of booking either property in Feb 2018. Thanks!
No such luck for Golds at the Westin. You can get lounge access at the Sheraton if you have the SPG Amex Business card (PM for referral )
Old Apr 7, 2024, 10:48 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
For questions/comments about Marriott hotels in Sydney please use the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.