FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Another question for Starwood Lurker on best way to shorten an award booking (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/674055-another-question-starwood-lurker-best-way-shorten-award-booking.html)

Starwood Lurker Mar 23, 2007 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by scrog (Post 7457264)
Thanks again William,

When you say the hotel can charge you a fee IF they have an early departure fee, how do know they just don't make the fee up on-the-spot? Are the early departure fees posted somewhere?

This usually appears in your confirmation letter as a "maybe". If it doesn't, then I would assume that there is no early departure fee, especially if it was also not linked to any rate information during the online booking process.

If you book through the Customer Contact Center, associates are required to read any property conditions such as these, plus it would also appear on your confirmation letter once booked, although I'm pretty sure that also appears as a "maybe".

In either case, the hotel is supposed to disclose to you upon check-in if there is an early departure fee. Might be a good thing to ask while checking in, however.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

scrog Mar 23, 2007 2:02 pm

Thanks William

scrog Mar 23, 2007 6:35 pm

Another question William,

If the hotel says they are going to charge me a fee in lieu of keeping the points because I'm checking out after day three instead of day 5, what's to stop me from just hanging the do-not-disturb sign on the door and leaving after day three, then calling up the hotel after day five and saying I forgot to check out this morning when I left?

Starwood Lurker Mar 23, 2007 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by scrog (Post 7458866)
Another question William,

If the hotel says they are going to charge me a fee in lieu of keeping the points because I'm checking out after day three instead of day 5, what's to stop me from just hanging the do-not-disturb sign on the door and leaving after day three, then calling up the hotel after day five and saying I forgot to check out this morning when I left?

I'm guessing nothing at all. Let us know if it works. My guess is it will. After all, you left on day three and they're still going to get reimbursed by us for five nights and we will have your fifth night free award to pay for it.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

TravelTil Mar 23, 2007 9:31 pm

Thanks all

Hi again,

Thanks to all, especialy to William for the responses. I remembered seeing the post, must have been by Oxon Flier, earlier this year but no matter what search terms I used I couldn't find it again :o

The other reason I need to consider extra paid stays is the "Double Stays Double Starpoints"- hence the reference to trying to kill flocks of birds...

Unfortunately it's difficult trying to find Starwoods in North Queensland. The Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas is definitely not value for money.

TravelTil