Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Left Marriott] Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort, Kona, Big Island Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Left Marriott] Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort, Kona, Big Island Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2009, 1:00 am

Does anyone know if this package is still being offered?
Old Jan 17, 2009, 5:18 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
WHAT?

That's absolutely absurd! Can anyone possibly come up with a combination that adds up to $175 per day?
Sure, if using the same methodology that is used to determine the rack rates posted on the back of the door in the room. I recently stayed the Westin Colonnade in Miami for about $170/night and the posted rate was $750.

In any case, for $28, that is not a bad price, but none of us are buying that "retail" price.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 5:22 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by notsosmart
I don't know about awesome. Average at best, with no beach. Rooms are spartan, and the whole place is kind of ugly. It's nice that you can book a really low rate, but if you tried staying on points it's a 4, which it most definitely isn't.

I'm going to Hawaii on Monday. If I stay at this property, I'll report on it, but most likely I'll just go to the Hapuna Prince, or Marc's Bali Kai.
I thought the property was nice, but I would probably not say awesome either. The lack of a beach is definitely a downer, but since we just came from the Westin Maui, we were more interested in getting around the island than sitting on a beach. The pool and hotel grounds are nice. Probably the most interesting thing was that the Food Network had a food competition there and we got to meet the people and watch it for a while.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by todd-r
Does anyone know if this package is still being offered?
I found the answer to my own question:

26. Do you offer a resort amenity program? At this time, we do not offer a resort amenity program.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by quinella66
I thought the property was nice, but I would probably not say awesome either. The lack of a beach is definitely a downer, but since we just came from the Westin Maui, we were more interested in getting around the island than sitting on a beach. The pool and hotel grounds are nice. Probably the most interesting thing was that the Food Network had a food competition there and we got to meet the people and watch it for a while.
Just stayed there last summer. Yes, the property isn't spectacular, but we found the service and location to be excellent. My favorite part was that they have a colony of Manta Rays that you can see from the Crystal Blue bar at night. Very cool.
Old May 9, 2009, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any recent reports from the property?
I want to skip Hilton as I am no longer diamond there plus waikoloa is just too bloody remote and overpriced. Sheraton is available on cash+points and I assume as a plat I'll get a reasonable upgrade.
Old May 9, 2009, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by azepine00
Any recent reports from the property?
I want to skip Hilton as I am no longer diamond there plus waikoloa is just too bloody remote and overpriced. Sheraton is available on cash+points and I assume as a plat I'll get a reasonable upgrade.
The property is the same - not much is expected to change here. We can only hope its days are not numbered given the slow year Hawai'i has been having.

This is a great and perfectly fine hotel for those who are looking for a clean, safe, comfortable and reliable place to sleep while they spend their days out exploring the Island - if you're looking for a full service resort with a sandy beach, fancy spa, great restaurants and other benefits, and plan to spend your days relaxing on-property, you will need to stick to Waikoloa and points north.
Old May 9, 2009, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by bocastephen
if you're looking for a full service resort with a sandy beach, fancy spa, great restaurants and other benefits, and plan to spend your days relaxing on-property, you will need to stick to Waikoloa and points north.
Only resorts with lengthy, natural beaches are Kona Village Resort, Hapuna Prince and the Mauna Kea. Only the Marriott at Waikoloa with A-bay has a natural beach.

Left the Sheraton Keauhou on Wed, at Hilton Waikoloa now (still gotta visit the Fairmont Orchid later on NFAF rate).

As a SPG Plat, got upgraded to an ocean view room in Tower 2. Front desk did not offer platinum amenity (though they did offer late checkout at checkin), so I'll have to call for the points. Best rooms are probably the ones over the spa in Tower 2 or the ones overlooking the Manta Ray viewing area.

The resort was dead while we were there. While at the main pool area, we saw less than two dozen guests around. Pool-side service by Sarah was terrific but the food was blech! I'd venture that the occupancy ran less than 20% this week, which is pretty sad to witness. I hope things pick up fast for them.

Rooms definitely need some sprucing up as the rattan furnishings and bed spreads are starting to look a bit nappy.

At current rates though, I can't complain much as the property has a wonderful, open layout and the pool area is fun. And it is the most convenient to the activities I enjoy in South Kona region (snorkeling K bay and Two Steps, coffee farms, good inexpensive eats, etc). And witnessing the manta rays coming to feed is pretty awesome.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
As a SPG Plat, got upgraded to an ocean view room in Tower 2. Front desk did not offer platinum amenity (though they did offer late checkout at checkin), so I'll have to call for the points. Best rooms are probably the ones over the spa in Tower 2 or the ones overlooking the Manta Ray viewing area.

The resort was dead while we were there. While at the main pool area, we saw less than two dozen guests around. Pool-side service by Sarah was terrific but the food was blech! I'd venture that the occupancy ran less than 20% this week, which is pretty sad to witness. I hope things pick up fast for them.

Rooms definitely need some sprucing up as the rattan furnishings and bed spreads are starting to look a bit nappy.
We were there last week as well. Property and grounds are beautiful. But, the room was very tired.

Checkin agent was surly and robotic. No smile, no welcome to the ..., no Aloha, no nothing.

We booked on points (mountain view) and were u/g'd to Ocean Front in Tower 1, (3rd floor) overlooking the Manta Ray area (facing west). As a side point, the waves come crashing up and are quite loud so can be heard when trying to sleep. The room layout is terrible. with the sink/vanity part in the main room and toilet and shower in small cramped cubicle. Didn't care for the institutional toilet. Room def. lacked decor. Rattan furniture was chipped, carpet was stained and paint was chipped/flaking away from the ceiling in parts.

The pool is gorgeous. There were maybe 6 other people around it the day(s) we were poolside. However, was not impressed with the slide matron. I don't think she liked her job and was not happy when interrupted from her book whilst entering the slide (top of the stairs). As noted, Sarah was a delight - standard pub grub and beers @ resort prices (2 beers and 2 burgers >$40.

If it hadn't been a cash/points stay we would have spent our time somewhere else. While no excuse, in today's economy, hotels need to be more appreciative of their guests.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
BofA forecloses on Sheraton Keauhou 6/26/09

The Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa, which reopened less than five years ago after a $70 million makeover, is to be scheduled to be sold at a foreclosure auction next month.

Bank of America filed a foreclosure lawsuit against the owner of the 521-room leasehold Big Island hotel in January, alleging Koa Hotel LLC owed some $60 million.

The hotel will be sold on July 31 at Hale Halawai in Kona....
No word in this article about whether the hotel will remain with Starwood, of course. Though there are better hotels in the Kona area, to lose it would still be unfortunate, IMO, since this is the only Starwood on the island.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, UMP, SPG
Yikes! I have 2 nights booked here in September on Starwood Points! Should I be worried?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by turtlegirl
Yikes! I have 2 nights booked here in September on Starwood Points! Should I be worried?
This issue isn't that uncommon, and there are other recent examples which have demonstrated that many hotels continue to operate as usual. My personal opinion is that you shouldn't be worried. But others with more current knowledge of the property and local economy may have more insight.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:26 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
In Economic crisis, Big Island got hardest hit.
Finally, the occupancy rate in May became under 50% in Big Island(according to the todays Honolulu Advertisers) although average room rate went down a bit.
We do not know who bid the auction, but I guess it could be pretty low.

I remembered the last economic crisis in Hawaii.
When Hyatt Regency Waikoloa was sold to Hilton, It was around 60 millions vs the construction cost of the resort was around 350 millions.

I wished Starwood give up Keauhou Bay and would purchase or at least take over the management of Mauna Lani or Mauna Kea hotels(both owned by Japanese Companies) in North Kohala Coast.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Tak
...I wished Starwood give up Keauhou Bay and would purchase or at least take over the management of Mauna Lani or Mauna Kea hotels(both owned by Japanese Companies) in North Kohala Coast.
I don't want to see the Keahou go - and it had the perfect location. However, your above suggestion makes good sense. Starwood needs a presence on the Big Island. Perhaps the Mauna Lani and/or Mauna Kea could be enticed into the Luxury Collection, although we might hate the redemption category they end up in.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 6:32 pm

+1

Mauna Lani and/or Mauna Kea would be fantastic in the SPG portfolio. Then I wouldn't really mind if Sheraton Keauhou Bay went away. Nice to dream sometimes, huh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.