Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Left Marriott] Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort, Kona, Big Island Hawaii [Master Thread]

[Left Marriott] Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort, Kona, Big Island Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:25 pm

I stayed here for 3 nights beginning of January and was disappointed - the only good things about my stay were the weather and the views.

My biggest issues were that upon check in they confirmed a late check out 1pm instead of 12pm, I called in the morning to see if I could extend due to a flight delay and they said they could no longer accommodate the 1pm check out and I would need to be out by 12pm. While it is only an hour I did have to rearrange plans I have made for the morning.

The second issue was the Club Lounge - maybe I am just spoiled from the lounges I have visited (mainly Canadian) but it was very disappointing, night one was a few veggies and cheese and crackers, night two veggies and cheese again and some type of meatball - the offerings of beer greatly diminished from the first night (from around 5-6) to 3-4 and the third night was the worst same veggies and cheese but the "hot dish" was soggy lukewarm fish and chips and there was 2 beer choices. Being platinum and this being a perk I just walk away disappointing but no real loss. Can't imagine if I paid the $75/night it is to add Club Lounge access

The breakfast ok - only went the once and there was scrambled eggs and some fruit which was fine.

Rays on the Bay was delicious and had great live music.
bizum likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP

Stayed for 7 nights in February. Booked the base room ( Mountain View) and was upgraded to Ocean Front, so pleased with that. Unfortunately, each time you first entered the room there was a strong musty smell that I usually associate with cheap rural motels. This was possibly because the bathroom extractor fan didn't work, which may not be the best in a humid climate. After the first few minutes it wasn't as noticeable. We didn't want to complain as we had got an upgrade we were happy with with regards to the view.
The room was dated as others have noted and to be honest the whole hotel is well overdue an upgrade. However, I believe that this is reflected in the price, which was somewhat less than other hotels in Hawai'i. We had been tempted by the Westin Hapuna Bay but the reports of ongoing construction, as well as the photos on TA were enough to put us off switching. We did visit the Westin for lunch one day and I have to say it was better all around. The location is far better IMHO and the new facilities all looked fantastic. It seems we were there the first or second day only after the public and pool area renos were finished so it perhaps wasn't a fair comparison. Plus the rates at the Westin were significantly higher.
The lounge food offerings were ok for breakfast but more mixed in the evenings. I have attached the weekly menu for those interested. In addition to the stated items there were cereals, pastry and fruit in the mornings and crudites, cheese and crackers in the evenings. There was also beer ( well Bud and Bud Light if you can call them beer) as well as red and white house wine available. A cocktail on request some nights but these are made in the back and you have to ask. One night even the wine and beer were kept out of view and only available upon request. The staff in the lounge were friendly but seemed to have problems keeping up ( partly because they had to make cocktails and prepare food trays so found it hard to keep everything replenished all the time). The longe is also small when it rains, as without the outside seating there is inadequate space.
The other issue I had is the lack of decent dining options. The pool bar had a limited menu, typical for a pool bar. Rays on the Bay is also a bar like setting with tables for dining but again a limited menu and it was much more like a bar than a restaurant.. While it was acceptable the limited menu would be very restricted after a night or 2. There was nothing vaguely approaching Fine Dining at the hotel and the coffee shop was closed throughout our stay. There seemed to be space for a buffet style restaurant but we never saw it open apart from their Luau n Mondays and Fridays. We would normally eat more at the hotel, even if only for lunch but were wre underwhelmed by the dining options. There is nowhere else walkable either, at least that we could find.
bizum likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: AC SE
I'd stayed at this hotel recently, and pretty much the only nice thing I can say about it is the view. The room was spacious but very dated. I'd been aware of the resort fee, but to charge a $30 resort fee plus $20 parking on top of this in a non-urban area is ridiculous, as it basically adds $50 US/night to your room rate for little or no value. Even the Fairmont on the Big Island includes parking as part of their $30/night resort fee. I took a look at the list of amenities that they supposedly offer for the resort fee, and most of them are already included as an SPG member (e.g. Wifi) or were MIA (tote bag, shell lei, and welcome elixer noted in the welcome amenities were not offered). The Club Lounge was physically open while we were there, but there was no food to offer, so breakfast was at Rays by the Bay, but apparently the omelette and waffle station was off limits for club lounge guests (tacky).

Recommend avoiding this place.
bizum likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Recently completed a 2-night stay using cash for the lowest end room. The hotel reached out a few days in advance and I kindly requested a room with a good view. We ended up in a large one-bedroom suite with two balconies above Ray's with an amazing view. I believe the room was the executive suite. We were able to watch the Manta Rays from our room both nights.The room itself was in good shape, except for the bathroom, which was quite dated.

Service throughout the hotel was very friendly. The hotel is dated, but the price point is low. The lounge was closed so breakfast and evening snacks were at Ray's in a separate area. It was very nice to be outside with a great view. Breakfast was the buffet without the omelette bar or self made waffles. There were still several hot options. It sounds like this offering was better than the usual lounge.

We had to pay the resort fee and inquired about alternative amenity but they had no idea what I was talking about. We did get VIP self-parking which allowed us to park a bit closer. Perhaps this is the alternative amenity? It was annoying to pay for parking, which only cost $15/night (self parking).

Overall, we had a nice stay We went in with low expectations and were pleasantly surprised by the awesome room and friendly service. Certainly not a 5* or even 4*, but sufficient for a few nights if you're not planning to spend much time in the room or at the hotel.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
I had a particularly crummy stay in mid July after several mediocre ones in Jan - March. This place has been going down hill for the last 8 years. It has accelerated since 2016 and especially in 2018.

In July I was staying as plat but got no lounge access and a terrible room to boot. Was told there were no others available. Yeah right. This place was a ghost town. Instead I was told there was "free breakfast" for all guests in the former large restaurant buffet area (that was a nice buffet for plats back in the day). Breakfast consisted of a bucket of powdered eggs, a plate of pineapple, and one container of coffee. So sad how far this place has fallen. I complained and the FD mgr promised me 5000 SPG, but that never materialized. As others have said $31 resort charge + $20 parking is insane.

Unfortunately I'm in Kona a lot so I'm subjecting myself to it again later this month while I try to finish out my legacy SPG lifetime qualification before 12/31/18.

I really hope it bounces back. It used to be one my favorite SPG hideaways in HI - low key, great views, good plat recognition, and reasonable prices.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:04 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Originally Posted by BallardFlyer
Unfortunately I'm in Kona a lot so I'm subjecting myself to it again later this month while I try to finish out my legacy SPG lifetime qualification before 12/31/18.
If you mean you're flying to KOA instead of staying in Kona, there are now several much better SPG/Marriott choices at Waikoloa, Hapuna and Mauna Kea.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Never stayed at this hotel but just checked out from the Westin Hapuna Beach a couple of days ago.

I can tell it is a very good resort with nice soft and hard product and I'm sure it will not sit on cat 5 after the residence conversion has finished.

much better than any Westin I've stayed at in North America (a few, BTW)
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by RLG
If you mean you're flying to KOA instead of staying in Kona, there are now several much better SPG/Marriott choices at Waikoloa, Hapuna and Mauna Kea.
No I'm staying in Kona. And still on SPG only till Dec 31 while trying to get lifetime legacy criteria met. But yes Hapuna and Mauna Kea are very nice. Just 30-35 miles the wrong way.

This months stay was improved. Breakfast at Rays. Food somewhat better. Back to an oceanfront upgrade even though the resort was actually busier then previous visits.

Last edited by BallardFlyer; Sep 23, 2018 at 8:22 am
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:32 pm

Just stayed here for one night with PE status. Booked with cash into the cheapest room, and upgraded into an oceanfront, which is right above the Rays restaurant. It was awesome to see mantas swimming from the balcony as I counted five at around 10pm. Lounge is open all day, but only with real food during breakfast and evening hours. Welcome gift was 1000 points, a coffee gift pack, or upgraded breakfast buffet at the Rays. I took the breakfast coupon, which is definitely worth giving the 1000 points, but not worth the cash price charged (I think around $30pp). Overall a great stay.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
Stayed here as a Titanium Elite and was not impressed. Everything is a fight at this property. I did finally get an upgrade to an oceanfront room which was nice. But not before I was placed in an utterly unacceptable, musty smelling room that they claimed was an upgrade and an ocean view. It had no ocean view and a view of the kids pool slide. It was loud and dirty. My room was not ready at 3pm and I had to wait. Even as an elite member, internet was still charged to my folio and I had to fight to take it off. The food in the lounge is the worst I have had in the Marriott/SPG system by far, and the property is old and tired. The restaurant is incredibly overpriced. They leave messages and attempt to sell you timeshares. The resort fee is egregious and offers almost zero benefits. Unbelieveably, they claimed that this cheap plastic bag they offer as part of the resort fee was worth $15. They still charge for internet (for non elites) and parking bringing the total to over $50 a day above and beyond your room rate and taxes.. Pro tip: you can park legally just outside the property and the walk is the same as the self parking facilities that try to charge you $21 a day.

Stay away from this property.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
Stayed 4 nights over MLK day weekend 2020. Paid cash. Wife is Platinum Elite. Suite upgrade coupons cleared 3 days ahead of arrival for all 4 stay nights into a massive oceanfront Ohana Suite. Lanais had solid views of the lava field walkway, the area where Mantas come, the Rays on the Bay restaurant and part of Keahou Bay. Suite had two separate bathrooms and the living room had an appropriate sofabed. Room was quiet but walls are generally thin.

Property shows some wear that would be expected of a Sheraton, but not ghastly. Pool area and grounds are gorgeous. Views, sunset, historical aspects cannot be beat. There's a tennis court too which we didn't get a chance to use.

Opted for the daily complimentary breakfast for 2 adults at Rays on the Bay. Food is so-so, but views from the restaurant area more than made up for that. Lounge is useless except for free water/coffee/soda. General service people and parking valets were great. As Platinum, we were given VIP parking passes allowing us to park marginally closer to the property. $30 daily resort fee is ripoff, but that's normal for Hawaii.

Overall: would GLADLY stay here again.

EDIT: fixed typos.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:28 pm

Interesting...….sounds like a fairly positive review. Hotel is definitely dated unless they have done some major renos over the last few years. The bathrooms in the rooms feel like you are in a hospital - I was tempted to take a leak off the dated patio cause I couldn't stand walking into the bathroom. The pool area I found to be very basic - cement and pool. Plat recognition was minimal other then them waiving some of the resort fees because we could barely shower with the bathtub filling up at least halfway because it wouldn't drain. In saying that this was several years ago but definitely not on my list to return.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Leaving Marriott to become an Outrigger...

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...t-keauhou-bay/
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman

"significant investment is planned" IMO it badly needs it.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman

I've stayed at this property twice and have to say that the investment is sorely needed but I won't miss having the Sheraton on the Big Island as the other Marriott Resorts have invested in renovations and are offering better amenities.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.