Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Minneapolis, Minnesota [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Minneapolis, Minnesota [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:01 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Any recent Plat stays at this property?
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:54 pm

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
I would also like to know this, what have experiences been at the property recently, this thread has some major cobwebs in it.

Originally Posted by tommy777
Any recent Plat stays at this property?
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by BIMMERKID2
I would also like to know this, what have experiences been at the property recently, this thread has some major cobwebs in it.
Try this thread. I posted my recent experiences there.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 1:17 pm

thanks, I'll have a look I'm looking forward to stay at this place. I've stayed at Graves 601, how do the two compare?

Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
Try this thread. I posted my recent experiences there.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 1:23 pm

thanks, I'll have a look I'm looking forward to stay at this place. I've stayed at Graves 601, how do the two compare?
Can't help with that one, but I will say that we liked the W Foshay better than the Westin. The Westin is a solid property though. Love the lobby.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 1:30 pm

One further thing, I'm reserved in a 2 DOUBLE BEDS EXECUTIVE (room). Do they have th Renewal Showers, and what are the extra "perks" about being in an "Executive" room? Thanks. ^
..however, right now I've found a quite competitve offer recently by the Graves 601, that I am "Considering" since I liked them the last time I stayed at that hotel, but at the same time, I'd like to try another property,, oh the decisions... hmm.. Both prices are roughly the same.
Can't help with that one, but I will say that we liked the W Foshay better than the Westin. The Westin is a solid property though. Love the lobby.

Last edited by BIMMERKID2; Aug 25, 2009 at 1:54 pm
Old Aug 26, 2009, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
The Westin Minneapolis is my LEAST favorite Starwood hotel in Minneapolis. However, it often has great prices ($81 AAA rate, for example). But ignoring the price difference, I would put the W Foshay first and the Graves 601 second.

The W Foshay is a beautifully restored Art Deco hotel and has two fantastic and lively bars. The rooms have great black marble bathrooms with elephant-sized showerheads and usually include large windows.

The Graves 601 has two flat screen TVs in each room (a 42" in the bedroom and a small 13" in the bathroom), a six-head waterfall spray shower, and floor-to-ceiling windows.

The problem with the Westin is that the vast majority of rooms have small windows and are very dark and gloomy. The Bank restaurant in the lobby is expensive and the food is lousy, although the drinks are great.

I would go for the Graves 601 if its cheaper than the W Foshay. Otherwise, go with the W Foshay. Avoid the Westin unless you get a very cheap rate.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
One further thing, I'm reserved in a 2 DOUBLE BEDS EXECUTIVE (room). Do they have th Renewal Showers, and what are the extra "perks" about being in an "Executive" room? Thanks. ^
No, the room is a tiny bit larger with a slightly better view and that's about all you will notice. There are no "perks" that come with one. This room is just one step above the cheapest rooms in the hotel.

You want to reserve:

"Deluxe Corner Room, Heavenly Bed And Bath, Sitting Area, Glass-walled Walk-in Shower, Full Body Spa Shower."

The room numbers end in "33". They have a LOT more windows than other rooms plus the six-head renewal showers.

Last edited by DCBob; Aug 26, 2009 at 5:11 pm
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
No, the room is a tiny bit larger with a slightly better view and that's about all you will notice. There are no "perks" that come with one. This room is just one step above the cheapest rooms in the hotel.

You want to reserve:

"Deluxe Corner Room, Heavenly Bed And Bath, Sitting Area, Glass-walled Walk-in Shower, Full Body Spa Shower."

The room numbers end in "33". They have a LOT more windows than other rooms plus the six-head renewal showers.
I've stayed there twice--once in a suite and once in a corner room with the renewal shower. If you don't need the space of the suite, I actually prefer the corner room. DCBob is right about all the windows and the shower is pretty cool too. We had way more windows in that room than our suite (which had a windowless bedroom).
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

I've stayed there twice--once in a suite and once in a corner room with the renewal shower. If you don't need the space of the suite, I actually prefer the corner room. DCBob is right about all the windows and the shower is pretty cool too. We had way more windows in that room than our suite (which had a windowless bedroom).
Totally agree. I definitely prefer the deluxe corner rooms to the suites. The suites have a lot of wasted space and the windowless bedrooms, while very quiet, are simply too dark and gloomy.

If you have to stay at the Westin, try to get a corner room ending in "33." You will like it a lot. I have stayed several times at the Westin and this is the ONLY room I have really liked.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:13 pm

Question

Well right now im locked in a rate thats paid on arrival for $223 for two night exclusive tax, otherwise, total is assumed after tax to be around $280 or so.

Price particulars:

Total For Room Rate Only : 223.00 2 nights, (first night 149.00 second night 74, i think, its the better tomorrows deal)
Hotel Charges: TRANSIT of 0.25% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate.
Taxes: CITY TAX of 3.50% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate.
LODGING of 3.00% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate.
STADIUM TAX of 0.15% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate.
STATE TAX of 6.50% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate.

^^^Which would equal???????

Graves 601, which I have stayed at before and LOVED has a Instant/Advanced purchase price for 3days, 2 nights for $290.65-AI in the Superior Double Room..

price particulars:

Rate Total: $254.40 USD

Taxes & Fees: $36.25 USD

Total: $290.65 USD
Seems to me much more straight forward pricing at Graves 601.

W Foshay cheapest rate is $313-$330

I think I might cancel the res. with the westin Minneapolis and instead opt for Graves 601, what do you think?

The Westin Minneapolis is my LEAST favorite Starwood hotel in Minneapolis. However, it often has great prices ($81 AAA rate, for example). But ignoring the price difference, I would put the W Foshay first and the Graves 601 second.

The W Foshay is a beautifully restored Art Deco hotel and has two fantastic and lively bars. The rooms have great black marble bathrooms with elephant-sized showerheads and usually include large windows.

The Graves 601 has two flat screen TVs in each room (a 42" in the bedroom and a small 13" in the bathroom), a six-head waterfall spray shower, and floor-to-ceiling windows.

The problem with the Westin is that the vast majority of rooms have small windows and are very dark and gloomy. The Bank restaurant in the lobby is expensive and the food is lousy, although the drinks are great.

I would go for the Graves 601 if its cheaper than the W Foshay. Otherwise, go with the W Foshay. Avoid the Westin unless you get a very cheap rate.

Last edited by BIMMERKID2; Aug 26, 2009 at 11:48 pm Reason: added info.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:36 pm

I know, I stayed at Graves 601 before. The shower was amazing and the tv in the bathroom was interesting, watched the morning cnn news while showering ^

Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I had some stays here back in October, and managed to snap some photos of one of the suites I was given (received Suite upgrades both times, and photos below are of the larger of the two):

Foyer

Bedroom

Living Room

Bathroom

Shower

Bath

All in all, they were nice rooms. I can't really comment on service, as I was only there on brief, overnight stays (MSP-GEG runs). For the price ($89/night weekend rate, IIRC), it seemed like a very good deal.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 1:53 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
I had some stays here back in October, and managed to snap some photos of one of the suites I was given (received Suite upgrades both times, and photos below are of the larger of the two):

The photos look like the suite I had when I was there last year. Did you check p. 620 of the Bible for my "signature" (See the FlyerTalkers in the Bible thread) ?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Wink

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter

Bathroom
Whoopsie! Looks like you forgot to put the toilet seat down, Anglo Large Clawed Otter.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.