Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

New Promo-Stay 5 times get 5,000 point uo to 15,000

New Promo-Stay 5 times get 5,000 point uo to 15,000

Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:37 am

Programs: QR Gold, LH FTL, AB Silver, BA Silver, OK+Blue,PC Plat, SPG Plat, HH DIA, TK Gold (working on black)
SPG please consider nights

Originally Posted by yanxfann
Once again a *wood promo based on stays, NOT nights! Once again in my case it will cost *wood money as I am currently on a long term *wood stay that was originally planned to encompass every single night of the promo period, now in order to maximize the promo I'll have to check out of *wood and in to a competitor's hotel at least 14 times, this promo will cost *wood 14 nights that I would have otherwise stayed with them.

Grrrrrr!!!!
Got 5/15

Hi Yanx,

I am in pretty much the same boat as you. I am on 3 week turns to asia. And do not enjoy the trouble of checkin/checkout.

This time I will not really bother because 1500 points a stay (500 amenity) are not worth the trouble besides the almost usual checkout on weekends. (50% to other SPG hotels, 50% non SPG hotels )

Still it is a bit frustrating that SPG seems to value somebody who is doing 50 onenighters a year higher than us 200+ nighters.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 6:12 am

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire - BA GGL - AF Plat - LH Senator - EK Gold
Great! Received 5/15 and in combination with the Asian MasterCard promotion, I'm more then happy.. (15000+24000=39000!)

BUT due to the fact that most of the promotions I have received since beginning of the year are based on STAYS instead of NIGHTS, I will now requalify already by mid of April by STAYS instead the usual way of NIGHTs for Platinum...

So this means now: I have chances to spend more money on other chains to (re)qualify for higher status and SPG will loose a lot of businesses from me.. I would say in my case a double/triple points promo would have been more suitable
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:53 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I got 5/15. I was going to let my SPG status slide this year, but now I might try and squeeze out 10 stays during the promo.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, PC Plat, lots of miles but no status w/ usual *A, OW & ST suspects
hi... wondering if someone could clarify things for me... i got the double/double promo (in-n-out anyone? =P)

the promo says double stays, double points... i understand the double stays part... what i'm confused about is the double points...

let's say someone is gold, and normally gets 3 starpoints per eligible $ spent... and let's say they spent $1k during a stay... w/ gold, that'd mean that person would get 2k base, plus 1k bonus, correct?

now, w/ the double points promo, would that same gold member get (for the same stay and same $ spent), 2k base and 2k bonus, or 4k base plus 1k bonus, or 2k base and 4k bonus?

(still pretty new to this)
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:47 am

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by gozetta
LAME, LAME, LAME!!!!!

Pathetic promo. And I thought after the mass devaluation (slaughter) they would have thrown us a bone with a decent promo.
Gozetta, I can not agree more. it is LAAAAAAME.
Whatever being said, and I invite Starwood Lurker to comment, this promotion (5/5 up to 15) is NOT targeted to boost loyalty. Neither it is targeted to boost revenue. Its sole effect would be to produce mattress run.

Let's assume person who wanted to stay 15 nights at $200/night SPG property. If double points are offered, (s)he will probably stay in peace for entire period of time which will result in outlay of 15,500 (2x2 + plat bonus + plat amenity - if points) points + 1 check-in operation and 1 check-out operation. Now, because of this promo, this person have to move every night to different hotels. 15 check-ins, 15 check-outs, 31,500 points AND THE SAME REVENUE - is it me that stupid or I dont understand "guiding principle".

Now on issue of split loyalties: I don't really care whether I am platinum or not. Of course, platinum have some benefits.... but my strategy was always to maximize points.
Rule N1 of getting best promotion was to generate sufficient business and then stop staying at program's properties. My experience only confirms this. I made SPG plat without any promos this year - by doing this I slipped from Gold to Silver in Marriott program. Come Spring and what I see?

SPG: 5,000 for every 5 stays/up to 15,000
Marriott: double points for all stays starting from 2nd stay.
I have 50 nights in March-April across only 4 stays. Guess who'll get my business?

AX
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:02 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by AX9465
...Whatever being said, and I invite Starwood Lurker to comment...
Okay, FWIW, here you go: If you don't like it, don't register for it. If you already have registered for it, then don't participate in it. Nothing says I hate this promotion to the marketing gurus like folks doing either one.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:03 am

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by gster78
let's say someone is gold, and normally gets 3 starpoints per eligible $ spent... and let's say they spent $1k during a stay... w/ gold, that'd mean that person would get 2k base, plus 1k bonus, correct?

now, w/ the double points promo, would that same gold member get (for the same stay and same $ spent), 2k base and 2k bonus, or 4k base plus 1k bonus, or 2k base and 4k bonus?

(still pretty new to this)
Double points promotions simply double the base points......not any bonus points (such as the extra 1 point per $ for being a SPG elite).

IOWs......as a SPG Gold, $1000 in eligible charges would net you 5 points per $ (5000 Starpoints : 2000 base points, 2000 promo points and 1000 for being Gold).

FWIW, if this had been a triple points promo.....it would be 2000/4000/1000.

A.J.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Thank you OP for this thread! Looks like SPG is getting my business in the next few month! ^
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:40 am

Excellent!!
Many thanks to the OP... this will help a lot to gain Plat status ..
Have got 5 stays & 15 nights so far, so hope to qualify for Plat
for the first time, with the double stay/points offer!

Missed out on Plat for 2 years running, with 20 stays & 30+ nights
each year, so its about time i get lucky!

Cheers!
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:54 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Okay, FWIW, here you go: If you don't like it, don't register for it. If you already have registered for it, then don't participate in it. Nothing says I hate this promotion to the marketing gurus like folks doing either one.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Thanks Lurker, my sentiments exactly! Which is why I have decided to ignore the email and NOT register for the 5/5,000 points. I've found out the hard way that once you register for one promo, even if at a slightly later date you are offered another one that you like better, you're SOL!
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:30 pm
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
One wouldn't think a bonus promotion would cause so much hostility and bad feeling but this one did, again. So far we are up to 70+ threads and 5 pages, mostly complaining about the promotion. I agree it is "lame" and paltry especially after the devaluation. I for one have not registered for this promotion and probably won't. I'm not sure the 5K for 5 stays is worth it for me.

Something has to be wrong when a corporation tries to do something positive and the result is its loyal customers "..... and moan."
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:52 pm

OP and/or MODs
Can someone edit the thread title to reflect the promos that are being discussed here (to avoid lots of threads being generated on the same thing)?

5/10/15k points
3/6/9k points
Double stay credits, double points
Instant gold, double points

Or make it "Consolidated February SPG Lame/Wonderful promos thread"

FWIW - I got double/double, and I'm pretty happy with that.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Choice Priveleges Gold, Club Carlson Silver, Wyndham Rewards, UMP, DL, ANA
Thanks OP! I never received the email, but I registered anyway. It registered me for the double/double promo, while it registered my wife for the 3/3/9 promo.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Okay, FWIW, here you go: If you don't like it, don't register for it. If you already have registered for it, then don't participate in it.
that was not exactly what I did - it was said "one shall not decline promotions offered", although it is unlikely I will earn any points under it. My curiosity was regarding the fact that 5/5 - 15 promo (on the surface of it) does not make any sense as it even costs SPG more compared to double points...
AX
Old Feb 16, 2007, 3:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, PC Plat, lots of miles but no status w/ usual *A, OW & ST suspects
thanks for the explanation builldog king!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.