Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

spg.com website down / broken / issues / login problems ? Post Here!

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 11, 18, 8:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Starwood Lurker
Wiki Link
If you're here, you are obviously experiencing some issues with the web site. Our apologies for any inconvenience. We have an interest in giving you the best web experience possible, so here are some tips on how to get any problems resolved:

First of all, the web assistance team has this suggestion for you:

"We first suggest the normal steps of clearing their cache (temporary files) and cookies, then log out of their Starwood Preferred Guest account online, then close all browser windows before trying again. Please note that clearing cookies may also remove any stored passwords in the browser.

It is important for them to log out to ensure no bad/old data is saved and so that the online account has a chance to refresh.

Also note that cache and cookies are 2 different things. The cache memory is what remembers old content for faster page loading and may cause errors after updates. Cookies are mostly only meant for tracking during the current session. Both can still remember old errors that may have existed in the browser."

You should also be aware that being on a VPN sometimes interferes with your browsing experience. Try browsing without being on VPN and see if this fixes the issue.

If this does not resolve your issue, you can you can send an email to [email protected] along with any screenshots leading up to and including the error message.

It also helps if you include the following information in your email:

-What browser(s) have you tried? Is the issue happening over multiple browsers or just one?
-Are you using a desktop/laptop or a mobile device?
-If you are using mobile device does this issue persist when on a desktop/laptop?

Once we have this information, we can forward it on to the web assistance team for further review, so please be as complete as possible.

If you are having an issue with any of the SPG apps, you can send the following information directly to the SPG App team at [email protected]:

-What device and operating system are you using?
-What version of our app do you have installed?
-What is the problem you have encountered?
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 5, 05, 10:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist

It seems Starwood websites have been generating an unusually high number of complaints and trouble reports in recent months. New threads are popping up here on FlyerTalk right and left.

The four moderators of the Starwood forum have agreed that it makes sense to create one “master” thread for these issues and to make it a “sticky” thread that sticks at the top of the list so that it is easy for everyone to find and use. As new “SPG website problem” threads get created by people who don’t know to post in this master thread, we will be merging them into it.

Our aim here is two-fold. First, in the interest of good housekeeping here on FT, is to keep discussions surrounding these recurring website problems in one place. Our second goal is to make it as easy as possible for the Starwood executives and IT people who may pass this way on occasion to clearly see the problems and hopefully, ultimately, fix them.

Please keep posts in this thread limited to the topic of technical problems you experience with Starwood's various websites, such as starwood.com, spg.com, westin.com, sheraton.com, whotels.com, etc.

As Starwood Lurker has suggested in previous threads, if you have a problem requiring assistance from Starwood's Internet help desk, you may call them at: 1-888-625-5144, option 3.

For everyone’s convenience, below are links to some of the major existing threads on this topic (all from within the past three months), which have now been closed so that we may focus discussion in this thread.

SPG.COM....ugghh

Problems with Starwood Websites

I am TIRED of the SPG website being down!

Why can't I access the SPG site with my new computer?

All Starwood Sites Down For Over 2 Days Now!!!

Having problems with spg.com???

How much longer will SPG site be down?

Trouble logging in to spg.com
Old Jan 6, 05, 11:11 am

Programs: No More Loyalty
As a newbie to Starwoods, I only recently started using the starwoods.com site to do hotel searches. Now I understand why there is so much user dissatisfaction with the site. Over the last several days I have encountered the following:

- Hotels that appear and disappear from a city listing. (Here one day, gone the next, then back again later.)

- Obvious pricing errors, including a regular room priced the same as a club floor room (or the other way around) and a suite priced the same as a regular room. (The latter disappeared before I could get clarification on the cancellation policy.)

- Inconsistent cancellation policy, including a wide variance on "Internet Only Rates". One stated cancellation policy even threatened a 110% credit card charge on the day of reservation. (Do you get a 10% rebate if you show up?)

- Inconsistent best rate searches, including discount rates for AAA & seniors that were 50% higher than the "Best Guaranteed Rate" that came up without the filter. (The BGR did NOT display using the filter.)

- Poor and confusing wording. A search using the "seniors" discount filter that showed several "retired persons" rates. Where did they dig up this term? If I'm a senior but still working, does that mean I'm not eligible?

IMO, most of this could be fixed with better attention to detail.
Old Jan 6, 05, 5:33 pm
exAC

It sounds like that last poster at least go to the site.

All of this week my browser says that the:

The page cannot be displayed

Is it me or has the site disappeared all together????

================
After posting I decided to get inventive.

I Googled for any Sheraton Hotel and I got the seperate Sheraton Hawaii site. From there I followed a couple of links and eventually found a 'sign up here for SPG'. That got me to the site which worked.

Last edited by exAC; Jan 6, 05 at 5:45 pm

Old Jan 6, 05, 6:57 pm
fob

Credit Card Expiration Error

Expiration date in my profile shows 06/05.

When I make the reservation, the page tell me it is an error on my credit card expiration date.
Old Jan 6, 05, 6:58 pm

This is a guess, but maybe the performance issues have to do with third party ad/tracking links that Starwood uses on its home page. I block all of these across the Web by using a custom hosts file, but I when I just checked I saw two disabled links on Starwood for "http://view.atdmt.com."

I have found that these 3rd party links often are the cause of log-jams, and ever since I've disabled them my web page loading has improved significantly. There are many free pre-configured hosts files that block such sites; I'm using one found at this site.
Old Jan 7, 05, 12:28 am
exAC

I wondered the same thing as I use Spybot. But I installed Spybot over a month ago and just started having troubles this last week.

I will add to my other post ubove:

I have to use the backward way into the site again. I can sign in and view my SPG account, but, I just tried to book a room for next week and I get all the way to the 'reserve' button and then I get the
"The page cannot be displayed" from IE again.

Maybe I will have to stay somewhere else.

Old Jan 9, 05, 9:25 am

Programs: TK*S +SPG platinum, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
no Thailand Hotels show up !!

Tried to book another night in BKK, but no Hotels in Thailand show up, if you try or look for rates ! It says 1-6 Hotels ( compl. Thailand ) , but does not show any specific one. Also the R.O.S. BKK which was under my favorites does not show up there ! ? ! What happened here ?
Old Jan 9, 05, 9:40 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Originally Posted by bertheike
Tried to book another night in BKK, but no Hotels in Thailand show up, if you try or look for rates ! It says 1-6 Hotels ( compl. Thailand ) , but does not show any specific one. Also the R.O.S. BKK which was under my favorites does not show up there ! ? ! What happened here ?

For South Africa I see 1-3 hotels, yes that is right, in fact there are 3 Starwoods in S.A., but I cannot see any hotel by name, any rate and booking seems totally out of reach. That sucks.

Seems to be the same bug as with Thai Hotels. Very inconvenient.
Old Jan 9, 05, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by bertheike
I have no problem showing all three hotels in Bangkok.

What "path" are you using to get where you're getting?
Old Jan 9, 05, 8:22 pm
Community Director

I can find the six Thailand hotels on the www.spg.com website - but can't get rates on any of them.

On a separate matter, I wish that the Krabi and Phuket hotels would have notes on their website as to whether they were damaged by the tsunamai.
Old Jan 9, 05, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I can find the six Thailand hotels on the www.spg.com website - but can't get rates on any of them.
I am having no problem getting rates on the three Bangkok hotels (haven't tried the others) on spg.com.

Perhaps the "path" you are following is the source of the problem? Or the specific dates?
Old Jan 9, 05, 9:28 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I am having no problem getting rates on the three Bangkok hotels (haven't tried the others) on spg.com.

Perhaps the "path" you are following is the source of the problem? Or the specific dates?
I can't get as far as dates. I get this message:

We're Sorry

But your chosen hotel cannot currently be reserved online. However, you can still book a room at this hotel by calling 888-625-5144 in the U.S. or Canada. Residents of all other countries, please see our Worldwide Reservations Offices.
Old Jan 9, 05, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I can't get as far as dates. I get this message:

We're Sorry

But your chosen hotel cannot currently be reserved online. However, you can still book a room at this hotel by calling 888-625-5144 in the U.S. or Canada. Residents of all other countries, please see our Worldwide Reservations Offices.
Here's what I'm doing that works: I start at spg.com (and may have to hit F5 or refresh to get rid of the "we're updating our site" page). I enter Bangkok and a "check in" and "check out" date in the booker in the upper left corner of the page.

A page comes up listing the three hotels in Bangkok, with summary info, a "from" rate, and a "Book Now" button. I click on "Book Now" for one of the hotels, and a page comes up listing various room possibilities and rates. I click on "Reserve" next to one of the rates, and the "Reserve a Room" page comes up (provided I've logged in already ).

To see if I could reproduce the problem you're having, I started on the home page (spg.com) again and blanked out the dates in the booker. "Bangkok" was still in the city field. When I clicked on Search, the list of hotels came up, and when I clicked on "Book Now" next to one of them, I got the error page you showed above.

This seems like a bug, but it is easy to work around if you enter the dates at the beginning of your search. Or, as an alternative, you can enter dates in the sidebar on the left side on the page that lists all the hotels, and click on Search there.
Old Jan 10, 05, 12:07 am
Community Director

Kathy, good job of sleuthing. That works.
Old Jan 10, 05, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Here's what I'm doing that works: I start at spg.com (and may have to hit F5 or refresh to get rid of the "we're updating our site" page). I enter Bangkok and a "check in" and "check out" date in the booker in the upper left corner of the page.

A page comes up listing the three hotels in Bangkok, with summary info, a "from" rate, and a "Book Now" button. I click on "Book Now" for one of the hotels, and a page comes up listing various room possibilities and rates. I click on "Reserve" next to one of the rates, and the "Reserve a Room" page comes up (provided I've logged in already ).

To see if I could reproduce the problem you're having, I started on the home page (spg.com) again and blanked out the dates in the booker. "Bangkok" was still in the city field. When I clicked on Search, the list of hotels came up, and when I clicked on "Book Now" next to one of them, I got the error page you showed above.

This seems like a bug, but it is easy to work around if you enter the dates at the beginning of your search. Or, as an alternative, you can enter dates in the sidebar on the left side on the page that lists all the hotels, and click on Search there.
Thanks for the tip, it explains a couple of anomalies that I've seen. The reason, I believe, is that if you don't enter the requested dates upfront, the booking engine assumes a one night stay beginning with today's date in determining availability. However, it doesn't do this for the initial display of hotels in the areas, but only after you select "Enter Dates." So if you select a hotel that's not available tonight, you get an error message. If you actually enter the current date in the initial search, you'll see the appropriate "No Rooms Available..." message on the hotel listing. I had this problem on the new S.D. Mission Valley hotel b/c the default date it was using was before the switch from Radisson.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: