Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG biggest category jumps in India-Any Alternatives?

Old Feb 4, 07, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Wow, most of the big jumps occured in India with 2 category jumps being the norm. Almost every property went up at least 1 category.

With the Marriott New Delhi no longer in the picture, and the point levels going to category 4 and 5 all across the major cities in India, any advice as to where to get a hotel for a reasonable price?

I know there are a million small hotels available for as little as 20 dollars, but I'm wondering about a hotel with some sort of International brand, such as Raddison, Park Plaza or even a nice boutique hotel (like the Claridiges) with good clean facilities?

Not that I don't want to spend 12000-16000 points on a hotel, I just don't feel I'm getting the "value" of a category 4 or 5 by booking a hotel in Delhi. I suppose they are going through the sky-high hotel valuations that Hong Kong, Bangkok and Tokyo went through before the Asian Financial Crisis.

If possible, please provide approximate rates as well or any special codes that you may be able to share.

Mike

Last edited by mikeinseattle; Feb 4, 07 at 10:37 am Reason: add extra info
Old Feb 4, 07, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by mikeinseattle View Post
Wow, most of the big jumps occured in India with 2 category jumps being the norm.
When did 2 out of 18 become "the norm"? Or is BlondeBomber's spreadsheet incorrect?
Old Feb 5, 07, 8:34 am
Original Poster

see previous quotes from lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by id9795
...Is this an indication of a move from cat 3 to cat 5? Seems like a big jump!

Could be. IIRC, there were seven such category jumps and most of them were in India.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Feb 5, 07, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta: Platinum, Turkish: Gold (Star Alliance Gold); HHonors: Gold; Hyatt: Plat; SPG: Plat;
Did u look at the LeMeridian?

Definitely stay away from the $20 hotels!

Le Meridien New Delhi - It was a Cat 3 till Feb 1 - then at the last minute - switched to a Cat 4.

Still needs 10,000 points! but better than Maurya Sheraton - which is Cat 5!
Old Feb 5, 07, 11:25 am

Programs: Delta: Platinum, Turkish: Gold (Star Alliance Gold); HHonors: Gold; Hyatt: Plat; SPG: Plat;
Also - based on my past experience

Stay AWAY from Ashoka - they say it is a 5 Star, but after changing rooms 3 times, (upgraded one level each time) all the way to the "Advani Suite" or something like that, still could not find a "clean" room!

When I decided to leave - they gave me a bill for 1 nite as I had been there
"45 min". I had a discussion with the General Manager to get that sorted out.

So definitely stay away.

If you can get a good deal - try Shangri-La - Awesome property! Excellent service, Central location

Search this Thread
Search Engine: