Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Frankfurt: Which Starwood? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frankfurt: Which Starwood? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by yapak2
and since they redid the Westin, the Junior Suites are really nice. no comparison to the 80s dump the old arabella grand once was.
The LM in FRA is also certainly a great choice. If you have status with SPG, give either them or the Westin a try. good a recognising status and certainly very nice hotels both. The Westin is more stylish, up-to-date, whereas the LM is more classy (although most rooms are very modern).
All interesting rooms of the LM with ceilings 4 meter high are in the heritage building. I always request a suite upgrade there and it works in close to a 100%. The Westin is not as good as it comes to suite upgrades (mostly upgrades to Grand Deluxe Rooms). LM is closer to the train station, the red light district, the banking district and the Westin is at the end of Zeil, the shopping district (however, walking from one hotel to the other might take 15 to 20 minutes). Both places are perfectly connected to public transport.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 5:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
That's depending what your plans for FRA are.

The Congress is located in an area mainly dominated by office building and very quite during weekend. There is a tram stop in front of the hotel which takes you to the nearest S-Bahn Station which is two stops to the airport and one stop to main station.

The rooms are very small.
We will be here in Sept on a C&P stay (right before the big auto show starts and most hotels are booked up). I didn't even know there was an auto show until my Priceline bids kept getting rejected. We just need a place to stay before we fly out the next morning. Does the hotel have an airport shuttle (not mentioned on the website) or do we need to use the tram/S-Bahn as mentioned above?

We will be coming by train from either Heidelberg or Rothenberg does anyone know which tram we take from the Hauptbanhof to get here? We will have only backpacks so luggage is not an issue.
Old May 15, 2009, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Lounge?

Is the Sheraton at the airport the only Starwood in FRA with a lounge with drinks/food?
Old May 15, 2009, 11:35 pm

The Westin has terrific bathrooms.
Old May 16, 2009, 12:48 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Sheraton Congress Hotel Frankfurt

I just completed a single night stay at the Sheraton Congress Hotel Frankfurt. I'd never been to Frankfurt but had a single day in Walldorf with an early flight home in the morning. The proximity to the main highways and the airport worked out very well.

Upon landing at FRA I headed to Avis to pick up my rental car. The rental turned out to be a brand new Fiat 500 with about 320 km on it. This isn't a post about rentals but although the car is pretty small it felt more spacious for the driver than my Ford Focus. Everyone from the bellboy to gas station attendant to the guy to whom I returned it to at Avis had some comment about how small but good looking the car was. On the Autobahn it didn't really have much pickup so I had to ensure I was going fast in my lane and wasn't going to slow down anyone in the other lane before attempting to overtake a car.

I arrived at the hotel at around 10AM although I had entered a 10:30AM arrival in my reservation. My hope was that a room would be ready and I could freshen up before my meeting. Official check-in time for the hotel is 2PM so I wasn't surprised when they told me no rooms were available as they were very full the night before. While registering I was informed that a very nice Jr. Suite had been set aside. I asked if I could possibly use the pool facilities to shower and change and was given a key that would give me access to the facilities.

When checking in I was given the option to choose my Plat amenity. There were a few standard choices and the Local Gift which was apple wine. I took the points but they didn't post with my regular points. I'll have to follow up. EDIT: I also received a coupon for a free drink in the lobby bar during the stay. I assume this is in lieu of any sort of lounge.

Then I was told that as a Plat guest I was also given the option to choose a 'treatment'. There was a picture card with things like 2 beers and popcorn, a beer with two chips and some nuts, and other combinations.

Parking

Parking at the hotel costs EUR16/day. There is an outdoor parking lot directly in front of the lobby and also an underground parking lot one floor below. When entering the parking you get a card. When you are ready to leave the first time you hand the card to the front desk and they will charge the EUR 16 to your room and give your card back with a notification of it having been paid. You have to leave the parking lot within 10 minutes or get the lobby to reissue. If you are coming back the same day then you get a new card upon entering the parking lot and go back to the front desk when getting ready to leave. It seems like they break the EUR16 into multiple charges of lesser amount as a workaround to giving you multiple entries. The parking was spacious and seemed safe. The underground lot has big gates that come down in the evening to keep people from walking in/out.

Internet

Before heading to the pool to freshen up I sat in the lobby to check email. I had a UMTS card but decided to see if the WiFi was free. The WiFi menu included a way to charge to my room (didn't check the rate), enter a code purchased from the hotel, and the one that I used, a place to put in your SPG number and last name and get free access.

They also have this Link@Sheraton area with 3 computers and a printer. I tried to use this later in the evening to print a boarding pass but couldn't get the printout. There was also a way to email a document to the printer through wifi and to generate a unique code to get the printout. I didn't try it out.

I didn't check the pricing of the wired internet in the room.

Pool

I didn't use the pool but did grab a look when I was using the changing rooms. It seemed to be of good size and taken care of. Entrance to the pool requires a room keycard. When entering there is a small waiting room where you can grab fresh towels. Getting to the pool requires going through the male/female changing rooms. The changing rooms have lockers and also smaller rooms for an individual to change. The pool bathrooms are outside of the pool area across the hallway.

Jr. Suite

As I was getting my parking taken care of to head to my meeting I was informed that my room was now ready. This was about 11:30AM. There was an offer to drop my bag off in the room but I opted to head up and see the room and drop off my bag myself. This was mainly so that I could put my passport and whatnot in the safe.

Entering the XX26 Jr. Suite there was a long hallway with a small mirror, table and an open wardrobe for hanging coats. At the end of the hallway, before entering the living room, there was a small bathroom with a shower.

The living room was pretty spacious but the furniture was not all that comfortable. The cushions were kind of hard. The televisions are really old and small. The living room also has a nice desk to work at but there were no electric sockets that were convenient. Also the electric sockets that do exist are sunken in round molding which means that a square converter would require an extension to reach the socket. The front desk did a good job of rigging up two converters that would help me plug in my laptop.

Both the living room and the bedroom had doors out to a little balcony. The view from the balcony included little facility with horses and a forest. The view was nice. If I was a smoker I guess this balcony would have come in handy.

Bedroom

The bed in the bedroom was good. Not sure if it was a Sweet Sleeper or whatnot but it was fine. On each side of the bed was a complimentary bottle of sparkling mineral water. I'd have preferred non-sparkling, but to each his own. There was a wardrobe with a door for hanging up clothe.

Bathroom

The bathroom off the bedroom was spacious with a large pool and plenty of space around the sink. The toilet and shower were cramped. The shower was likely a later addition and took space from the toilet area. In the end I used the much larger shower at the end of the entrance hallway. Each of the bathrooms has hair dryers that hang next to the sink plugged in and ready to go.

Breakfast

Breakfast was included in my rate. I wouldn't have been happy to have paid for it. As I had an early flight I headed down at 6:15. There was another person already in breakfast and some of the cold meats and cheeses were already out. there was a bug doing a stroke in one of the cheese plates. The hot items didn't arrive until about 6:30. The choices included scrambled eggs, pathetic pancakes which were so thin they were more like crepes, small brown sausages and big white sausages. The potato wedges were very good and there was a nice selection of breads and cheeses. In general I'd never pay for their breakfast but if included it is satisfactory.

In conclusion, I'd choose this property again due to price, airport proximity and SPG membership. If I had business in the center of Frankfurt I'd probably try another hotel if I could get a similar low rate (EUR 96).

Last edited by yosithezet; May 16, 2009 at 9:56 am Reason: Forgot to mention the drink coupon
Old May 16, 2009, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by best
The Westin has terrific bathrooms.
Was that an answer to the question below?

Originally Posted by PCTraveler
Is the Sheraton at the airport the only Starwood in FRA with a lounge with drinks/food?
Regards
Old May 16, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by PCTraveler
I haven't stayed at the Messe Sheraton but have used all the others.

Only the Airport Sheraton has a Towers Lounge with drinks/food but they get a bit iffy about extra guests if a) not staying in a Towers room b) said guests aren't SPG members.

Be warned that Frankfurt prices go through the roof if there is a big Fair on like the motor show.

If you are flying in, overnighting and going to a meeting before flying back out, the Aiport Sheraton is very convenient and is attached to the airport T1 by a footbridge which then goes onto the the long distance train station.

Otherwise if you have more time, go for LM or the Westin to be in the centre of Frankfurt.
Old May 18, 2009, 7:49 am

Frankfurt Airport Sheraton

Just did a one night turnaround for mileage run at this facility. Used the free weekend night platinum gift for my stay. Thought I'd make a few notes here.

Asked for a 7:30 AM check in - NO PROBLEM! Such a relief after stumbling off my flight. I was upgraded to a club level room. I'd have been thrilled with a room in the basement if it would have meant getting some sleep.

Access to the Club Lounge - NO PROBLEM, front desk suggested I get upstairs to take advantage of it immediately! Great selections of food and drinks. I think breakfast was 6:30AM to 11:00 AM, Tea in the afternoon, evening munchies 5:00 to 10:00. Good selection of drinks and food. Staff all very friendly.

Fitness Center - one of the nicest I've had the opportunity to use. It was a fitness center/spa combination facility.

Access to the airport - fantastic.

Access to the train station - fantastic.

This turned out to be one of the most pleasant hotel stays I've had in a long time. I look forward to having another reason to stay here in the future.
Old May 19, 2009, 3:50 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Segmented
Just did a one night turnaround for mileage run at this facility. Used the free weekend night platinum gift for my stay. Thought I'd make a few notes here.

Asked for a 7:30 AM check in - NO PROBLEM! Such a relief after stumbling off my flight. I was upgraded to a club level room. I'd have been thrilled with a room in the basement if it would have meant getting some sleep.

Access to the Club Lounge - NO PROBLEM, front desk suggested I get upstairs to take advantage of it immediately! Great selections of food and drinks. I think breakfast was 6:30AM to 11:00 AM, Tea in the afternoon, evening munchies 5:00 to 10:00. Good selection of drinks and food. Staff all very friendly.

Fitness Center - one of the nicest I've had the opportunity to use. It was a fitness center/spa combination facility.

Access to the airport - fantastic.

Access to the train station - fantastic.

This turned out to be one of the most pleasant hotel stays I've had in a long time. I look forward to having another reason to stay here in the future.
I have been using the hotel for some years as my offices are a 10 min taxi ride due south, so staying in Frankfurt centre is not cost effective.

Anyway I have seen several reports on Trip Advisor complaining that the rooms are small. AFAIK all rooms (except suites) are identical whether in the Towers area or the main block, and IMHO anyone who complains about small rooms can't have stayed in many 3-4 * hotels in Europe.

As a recent stayer what is your view?
Old May 19, 2009, 12:36 pm

Airport Sheraton

Walking down the hall, I was a bit concerned (this is an older building, relatively low ceilings, worn hallway carpet), but after I ducked my head into the doorway, I found the club floor room to be generous by my European experiences.
Well appointed, king size bed, business desk, separate lounge chair, closets, and room to walk around.

No room for an indoor putting green, but very comfortable
Old Jun 14, 2009, 3:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm looking at staying at the Sheraton Congress Hotel Frankfurt next week on a C&P stay. I need to be at the airport at 10 in the morning, it looks like it's quite close. Does anyone know if they have a shuttle bus to the airport?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Originally Posted by thomas199023
I'm looking at staying at the Sheraton Congress Hotel Frankfurt next week on a C&P stay. I need to be at the airport at 10 in the morning, it looks like it's quite close. Does anyone know if they have a shuttle bus to the airport?
No, I'm not aware of a shuttle service.
You can take the S-Bahn/sub-urban railway (station "Niederrad") to the hotel and a walk of 10-15min or one stop by trolley line.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
need a cheap night near the airport

Which hotel is the closest to the airport for a taxi? I see that the Congress is half the price of the airport Sheraton, so I was thinking if it's just a 15 minute taxi ride that would suit me. I really don't care how nice the hotel is. I just want a bed. I know the airport hotel very well, but if the Congress is half the price, why not?

Or is there another Starwood that is closer to the airport than the Congress?
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Which hotel is the closest to the airport for a taxi? I see that the Congress is half the price of the airport Sheraton, so I was thinking if it's just a 15 minute taxi ride that would suit me. I really don't care how nice the hotel is. I just want a bed. I know the airport hotel very well, but if the Congress is half the price, why not?

Or is there another Starwood that is closer to the airport than the Congress?
Use the LM and the S-Bahn. Won't take much longer as a taxi and the Congress and safes you a total of 40 Euro.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
Any thoughts about the best Frankfurt Starwood for attending the Christmas market? We stayed at the Westin last year, which was fine, but are wondering if another hotel might be a better choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.