Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Frankfurt: Which Starwood? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frankfurt: Which Starwood? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
V6Lover, welcome to Flyertalk. The following thread contains pictures from all properties in and around Frankfurt:
Starwoods in Frankfurt

You will find much more threads about properties in Frankfurt by doing a search. Sept/Oct is a time where hotel prices vary a lot in Frankfurt because of several huge fairs. If you don't have to go to a fair or if you are flexible, plan your trip accordingly.
Old May 7, 2005, 6:05 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I stayed at the ArabellaSheraton Congress in June 2004 and April 2005. They have refurbished the bar area and the seating area in front of the restaurant and done some (very) minor work in the lobby.

They offer now W-Lan, but unfortunately only in the lobby. As I was told by the staff this year, there are plans to make W-Lan in the rooms available in the second half of the year. The Provider is (as usual for all Sheratons in Germany) T-Mobile.

Some picutres can be found here
Old Jan 31, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Frankfurt: Which Starwood?

Need suggestion which one of the five starwood properties I should stay in Frankfurt for just one night in late Feb. Should meet the following criteria:

1) I will totally rely on public transportation; so I need to stay a hotel close to the train stations or within walking distance to major tourist attractions
2) decent platinum member upgrade (heard some rants about the plat upgrade policy at the Sheraton Tower)
3) Club lounge preferred (I think AS Grand and Congress don't have one)

Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 4:46 pm

The Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Towers is extremely convenient if you are traveling out of FRA the next day. Otherwise it is far away from the city (but very close to the train station and easy to get to). It would be my choice if I had an airline trip the next day because you don't have to carry your luggage around. They have a pretty nice lounge. I always stay there when I am coming back to the US from my German trips. If you are not traveling by plane then it is probably the least convenient property for getting to downtown.

I had an issue with the Platinum upgrade some time ago but they've been very good to me since then (it has probably been a couple of years now since they would only put me in the SPG tower but no other upgrade).

I've also stayed at the Sheraton Grand and it was convenient to the pedestrian zone and the main shopping district. This one is more convenient to the tourist areas, but less convenient for taking your luggage to the airport. It was not very far from the subway/underground stop. I did not have status when I was there and didn't even ask about a lounge. I think the other property (Offenbach and even Congress) are further away from the city center.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 5:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Originally Posted by emuyshondt
The Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Towers is extremely convenient if you are traveling out of FRA the next day...I had an issue with the Platinum upgrade some time ago but they've been very good to me since then (it has probably been a couple of years now since they would only put me in the SPG tower but no other upgrade).
If I book the cheapest room at this hotel, will I be upgraded to the next category room or the best room available?

I'll be flying back to Chicago the next day morning so I think this hotel should work. How far is the train ride from the hotel to the shopping/tourist district?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:21 pm

I'm not sure what their official policy is, but after I had a conversation with them the first time I've been getting upgraded to the best available room. I always book the cheapest room I can find on SPG.com. I usually get a suite or a Towers Room (this is not necessarily a standard upgrade according to the SPG T&C).

However, be aware there really isn't that much difference between the rooms, at least in the SPG tower. The things that change are: 1.) which floor you are in and 2.) access to the Club Lounge. The decor and room size is pretty much the same no matter what room you get. The suite is bigger but not really anything special and a rather useless upgrade for a one night stay for one person. The thing that is nice about the upgraded rooms is the lounge access and in the suite or towers rooms you get free internet (instead of paying 18 Euros/day). You can always ask for those perks in any room you get even if they can't put you in a higher floor.

The first time I was told that there was some sort of new program being evaluated but I don't know what happened to the official policy since then. I started what became a long thread on the Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Towers here on flyertalk, if you want to go back and read that background. The next time I checked in I got a call from the GM and I haven't had a problem since. Overall I am very happy with this hotel because it suits my travel pattern.

The hotel connects with the airport terminal and the train station is right next door. You can go to the airport terminal and then down the escalators to the right of the overpass to get down to the local train station where you can catch one of the subways into town. It will probably take 15 or 20 minutes to get to the station near the pedestrian zone (I can't quite remember how long it took the last time I did this - it has been a while).
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:19 pm

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
ArabellaSheraton (Westin) Grand FRA lounge doesn't seem to be open often

Originally Posted by ktjan
1) I will totally rely on public transportation; so I need to stay a hotel close to the train stations or within walking distance to major tourist attractions
2) decent platinum member upgrade (heard some rants about the plat upgrade policy at the Sheraton Tower)
3) Club lounge preferred (I think AS Grand and Congress don't have one)
Thanks!
My experiences:

1. Le Meridien is close to the Hauptbanhof and has easy access to U-Bahn and S-Bahn so you can't get closer to public transportation. The ArabellaSheraton (soon to be Westin) Grand is at the KonstablerWache, but still accessible by S-Bahn direct from the flughafen (airport).
2. Decent is in the eye of the beholder. Le Meridien upgraded me to a respectable executive suite in the old "Heritage" building. ArabellaSheraton would have passed me on the largest "Deluxe" room on the club (Arabella) floor, but I pushed for a junior suite and they gave that to me. It had two rooms, a great bathroom and a decent view of the street.
3. LM didn't have a lounge. AS/Westin Grand has a lounge, but it wasn't open when I was there on 10 January. It was open back in '04 and served food from early morning through 10 pm. The Congress didn't have a lounge, but includes breakfast in many of their rates.

-- CaptainG
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:14 am

Programs: SPG PLAt, NWA PLat
Frankfurt for one night

what hotel would you choose? Frankfurt for 1 night, whats closer the shopping, dining, and sights? The westin grand or the Le Meridian?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:53 pm

Which Hotel is better- Sheraton Congress Frankfurt or Sheraton Büsing Palais Frankfurt/Offenbach?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:46 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by Boooma
Which Hotel is better- Sheraton Congress Frankfurt or Sheraton Büsing Palais Frankfurt/Offenbach?
That's depending what your plans for FRA are.

The Congress is located in an area mainly dominated by office building and very quite during weekend. There is a tram stop in front of the hotel which takes you to the nearest S-Bahn Station which is two stops to the airport and one stop to main station.

The rooms are very small.

The AS in Offenbach is also close to public transportation but at the other end of Frankfurt (longer way to the airport and to Frankfurt main station) and a bit longer to the main shopping districts. Otherwise the rooms are bigger and the service seems to be a bit more consistend at this property.

I would rate both hotels equal in terms of service level, rooms are bigger in Offenbach, location concerning access to train, plane, motorway is better at the Congress
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
First time in FRA

Been a while since this thread has had an update. Ill be there next sat for one night. First time in FRA, looking for a good location with great restaurants, sight seeing and some night life. Any suggestions? I land sat at 7am and out the next day at 11am.

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chanp
Been a while since this thread has had an update. Ill be there next sat for one night. First time in FRA, looking for a good location with great restaurants, sight seeing and some night life. Any suggestions? I land sat at 7am and out the next day at 11am.
That's because there are separate threads. One good option is the Westin Grand which is near a square (S-bahn is directly underneath the square) which has market on Saturdays. I found the market to be very interesting with lots of food and drink tents.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: Amex Plat; IHG Spire Elite; AZ Freccia Alata, SPG Gold; ClubCarlson Gold; Accor Plat; BA Bronze.
Le Meridien Frankfurt - Buy 1, get 1 only!

At the LM Frankfurt (back when Gold), when I booked a room for 1, I got a room for 1 (single bed).

It worked for me (short business trip), but don't gamble if you're banking on an upgrade to a larger room. The "upgraded" the room by putting some amenities in it.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 11, 2009 at 4:45 pm Reason: Fixed title typo
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I have a 95% success rate of getting upgraded to a junior suite at the LM Park in FRA. (I stay there ca. 10 times per year, for several years to date).
The Westin also upgraded me every time so far to a Junior Suite.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster
I have a 95% success rate of getting upgraded to a junior suite at the LM Park in FRA. (I stay there ca. 10 times per year, for several years to date).
The Westin also upgraded me every time so far to a Junior Suite.
and since they redid the Westin, the Junior Suites are really nice. no comparison to the 80s dump the old arabella grand once was.
The LM in FRA is also certainly a great choice. If you have status with SPG, give either them or the Westin a try. good a recognising status and certainly very nice hotels both. The Westin is more stylish, up-to-date, whereas the LM is more classy (although most rooms are very modern).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.