Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starpoint Purchases capped at 20K per year as of 12.7.07

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starpoint Purchases capped at 20K per year as of 12.7.07

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by neuro0
If I already purchased 60000 points this year, can I buy another 20000 points under this new change in this year?
From the starwood's FAQ, it seems no, but it doesn't address the change of limit issues.
Nope, just tried and it says "Exceed gift limit".
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by sierranevada
Nope, just tried and it says "Exceed gift limit".
Thanks for letting me know!

to SPG
Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:54 am

This particulary frustrating. I saved and earned enough BA miles to take my girlfriend in bussiness class to our wedding next year. Needless to say BA wouldnt release 2 seats and only had one available. The lady then informed me that their were 2 seats in first but i was 48k worth of miles short. i registered at spg and tried to buy the missing 48k. I wasnt allowed to buy due to not been a register user for 1 month. Now it seems i have missed out on the 100k option, so i am effectively back up the creek without my paddle and the required miles
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Eastwood357
This particulary frustrating. I saved and earned enough BA miles to take my girlfriend in bussiness class to our wedding next year. Needless to say BA wouldnt release 2 seats and only had one available. The lady then informed me that their were 2 seats in first but i was 48k worth of miles short. i registered at spg and tried to buy the missing 48k. I wasnt allowed to buy due to not been a register user for 1 month. Now it seems i have missed out on the 100k option, so i am effectively back up the creek without my paddle and the required miles
Eastwood, first, welcome to FT.

If the Starwood option is not working for you, why not apply for the BA Visa card (20k miles first purchase bonus), then either buy 24k BA miles via ba.com, transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into BA miles, or xfer Marriott, Starwood, or Hyatt into BA. They are running the annual 30% bonus promo with BA again this year.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by SASfan
Eastwood, first, welcome to FT.

If the Starwood option is not working for you, why not apply for the BA Visa card (20k miles first purchase bonus), then either buy 24k BA miles via ba.com, transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into BA miles, or xfer Marriott, Starwood, or Hyatt into BA. They are running the annual 30% bonus promo with BA again this year.
Hi

Thanks, I am based in the UK, so cant actually use that card, o ruse he 30% bonus :-( Also i have bought 38k of Miles from BA using my BA and my girlfriends membership numbers. I actually use the BA amex card and triggered the 241, and its the second seat the wont release even though i want to fly in september next year.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:57 am

Thanks SASfan

I actually live in the UK, so dont have access to a USA card as i understand. Also i use the BA Amex card so i triggered teh 241 deal and they wont give me the second seat . I also bought 38k of miles via our BAEC accounts, before knowing they would give the second seat. So hence i cant buy any more miles at BA until next year. SPG was my hope until they made me wait a month, which is until the 29 of Dec, but that doesnt matter since they capped it to 20k of miles now.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:11 am

Eastwood, read the posts from early Dec in Gary Leff's View From the Wing:

http://blogs.flyertalk.com/blogs/viewwing/

I think they would be helpful in your situation.

Sounds to me like Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt, and Marriott are all running 30% bonuses to BA until early next year.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:21 am

Thanks for the help, But it seems to allow only US citzens. Also it tracks you by checking your country setting in BAEC. set it to america and you cant change it for 6 months, also your amex card would be cancelled. Not bad British Airways and they seem to give the best offers to America. :-)
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:27 am

Man, sorry. The only other thing I would suggest is following the BA forum pretty closely - there are some geniuses over there in terms of knowing how to earn BA miles in many creative ways.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:32 am

Yeah. At the moment i am using the eStore. Some mates are helping me out. But the miles only post in 1-2 months. Fun times i tell you, i have been following the BA Forum, been reading like crazy, thats where i picked up the spg trick, then they changed it. Seems to have caught alot of people out
Old May 25, 2008, 8:47 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 236Dakota
In January of 2008 "a decision will be made to raise the point limitation back to 100,000 points per calender year."
We all know that this didn't happen in January, but are there any indications that it may happen later this year?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
We all know that this didn't happen in January, but are there any indications that it may happen later this year?
bump...
Old Aug 6, 2008, 4:43 pm
Suspended

i am a bit worried that, with this latest move by spg, there will be further point devaluation by spg on spg room redemption levels.

I am grateful for the opportunities opened up to earn spg points but i do not wish to have to spend 17,000 points for a room that currently costs 10,000 points.

For the past 2 years, spg has been adjusting their redemption levels higher and it is relevant to the topic as this gives spg more opportunities to charge more in terms of points for any redemption.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking
Any new info?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.